Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 141

Author Topic: [0.6.2a] Exerelin - Dynamic Sector and Faction War - v0.644  (Read 917129 times)

Withering

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.1a] Exerelin - Dynamic Sector and Faction War - v0.61
« Reply #1065 on: October 06, 2013, 11:26:11 AM »

Hmm.. saved games still dont work for me. Now I crash to desktop after the loading slowly grinds to halt.

avallanch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: October 06, 2013, 01:42:09 PM »

some saves still wont work due too their size i thing :) i noticed that the saves bigger than 55mb wont load (tried with 6 saves)

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: October 06, 2013, 01:48:52 PM »

--- rebel faction ---

Lore-wise, I see it like this:

After along and arduous journey, dissidents within your faction break off to set out to colonise worlds on their own. Having adopted their own ideas and beliefs.

Alternatively, with a faction like the Zorg or Bushi, I look at it as a malfunction within the faction's hierarchy. Leading to parts of the faction breaking off upon arrival in the system.

'Rebels' can be seen as any form of dissidence within your faction. Imagine how long the journey may have taken. It is possible that some formed their own ideas on how they should approach life upon arrival. In the case of an artificial group it is possible that something broke down during the journey; leading to some kind of malfunction that set some free from others.

Yeah this is pretty much how I see it too. Pirates don't really make sense for some factions, outlaws are similar. Perhaps calling the  fleets a name based on the faction they are drawn from might be better. i.e. Rebel Rogue Drones, Rebel Freedom Fighters, Rebel Corporate Dissenters.

--- memory issues ---
While being alt-tabed... i got this ^  ???

This is what I have mine set to:
-Xms1024M -Xmx2048M

It will depend on a number of things (hardware, software etc.) what you can safely set those numbers to.

It may be that you will have to play with less factions/systems/planets/stations etc :(

Also anyone else getting weird CTDs with no log info or error information?

A CTD with no error/log info indicates the Java Virtual Machine is crashing, rather than StarSector. If so, you may have issues beyond StarSector.

Hmm.. saved games still dont work for me. Now I crash to desktop after the loading slowly grinds to halt.

0.6 saved games will not be compatible with 0.61.

Do you crash with the OutOfMemory error in the starsector.log file? If so, you will need to increase the memory available to StarSector.

some saves still wont work due too their size i thing :) i noticed that the saves bigger than 55mb wont load (tried with 6 saves)

55mb with save compression on (saved with Exerelin 0.61)? Increasing the memory allocation to StarSector will alleviate loading/saving issues.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #1068 on: October 06, 2013, 02:24:10 PM »

I added support for Nomads on your bitbucket repository. I also updated the Nomads codebase appropriately, and tested all the changes in game personally.
https://github.com/Trylobot/starsector-mods/tree/master/nom
https://bitbucket.org/Zaphide/exerelin/pull-request/1/modified-for-compatibility-with-the-nomads/diff

Withering

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: October 06, 2013, 02:37:38 PM »

It was this version's save. And sadly I got no error/log from it other than that it was loading.. I'll look into giving it more memory.

EDIT: Allright! Increasing the memory let me load my save.

I set vmparams from 512-512 to:

-Xms512m -Xmx1024m

EDIT 2: got a ctd in a battle. Maybe ill try adding more memory.. cant be anything else I guess, I got a top-tier computer.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 03:27:20 PM by Withering »

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: October 06, 2013, 03:06:28 PM »

It was this version's save. And sadly I got no error/log from it other than that it was loading.. I'll look into giving it more memory.

EDIT: Allright! Increasing the memory let me load my save.

I set vmparams from 512-512 to:

-Xms512m -Xmx1024m

Great :)

I added support for Nomads on your bitbucket repository. I also updated the Nomads codebase appropriately, and tested all the changes in game personally.
https://github.com/Trylobot/starsector-mods/tree/master/nom
https://bitbucket.org/Zaphide/exerelin/pull-request/1/modified-for-compatibility-with-the-nomads/diff

Thanks heaps Trylobot :)

One question: You don't want to use the Oasis as Nomads super-freighter equivalent?

DefiasOne

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: October 06, 2013, 03:06:43 PM »

Been playing for a while and now CPU crankes up to 90-99% on some of the more intensive battles, that is where it usually crashes with no error information or anything, the sound stutters for a few seconds and then i get dropped to desktop. I guess it's just too CPU intensive for my little comp :( I don't suppose there is any way to fix this other than starting a new game with fewer factions right?  :-\

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: October 06, 2013, 03:23:22 PM »

Been playing for a while and now CPU crankes up to 90-99% on some of the more intensive battles, that is where it usually crashes with no error information or anything, the sound stutters for a few seconds and then i get dropped to desktop. I guess it's just too CPU intensive for my little comp :( I don't suppose there is any way to fix this other than starting a new game with fewer factions right?  :-\

By battles I assume you mean the combat mode rather than flying around with your fleet in campaign mode? The Exerelin mod only adds things to the Campaign mode, but that can get fairly CPU intensive depending on how large a sector you are playing with. This will not have an effect in combat mode.

If you are having issues with combat mode it is probably when the game swaps textures in and out of memory. Additional faction mods increase the base memory footprint of the game so you may need to run with less faction mods if possible.

Although, if you are not getting any error messages your issue could lie with your Java installation. What are the specs of your computer?

DefiasOne

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: October 06, 2013, 03:26:34 PM »

Pentium D 3.0 Ghz dual-core.
4 Gb of ram
ATI hd3870 video card.

I haven't had a CTD while flying around...yet, only in combat and it getting more frequent to the point where it's a pain to load the game again and again.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #1074 on: October 06, 2013, 03:37:45 PM »

One question: You don't want to use the Oasis as Nomads super-freighter equivalent?
   I don't think so. The ship's supposed to be a unique, and I plan to modify what fleets appear in Exerelin after I play some games longer than 10 mins. I want to get a feel for how the latest version of your mod plays, and then decide what my fleet compositions should be based on that. I've no qualms using normal variety super-freighters for now. When I post version 0.9.1, I'll have an additional ship or two to add, and it will affect all my fleet compositions, Exerelin and standalone, anyway.
    When the Oasis appears in Exerelin, I'd very much like it to be part of a unique fleet as well. The Armada controller probably wouldn't be a good idea, but I think I will try and put some logic into Exerelin via some kind of mod-specific/exerelin-specific handshake plugin to allow for there to only exist one at a time in the sector.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 03:39:56 PM by Trylobot »

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: October 06, 2013, 03:57:27 PM »

Pentium D 3.0 Ghz dual-core.
4 Gb of ram
ATI hd3870 video card.

I haven't had a CTD while flying around...yet, only in combat and it getting more frequent to the point where it's a pain to load the game again and again.

Hmmm well I don't think that's an issue.

Have you tried setting the memory settings to '-Xms512m -Xmx1024m'? I think this is the core of the problem; StarSector (or perhaps even the Java VM) is running out of memory. Why it doesn't let you allocate more? Yeah I don't know...

Otherwise, updating video drivers? Updating Java? In fact I would remove Java entirely (if possible) and reinstall the latest. I assume your using Windows? It may be worth having a look at the 64bit version of Java (I think there is guide somewhere on the forums about setting up StarSector to use 64bit Java in Windows).

Just ideas... sorry I can't be of more help :(

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: October 06, 2013, 04:08:07 PM »

I don't think so. The ship's supposed to be a unique, and I plan to modify what fleets appear in Exerelin after I play some games longer than 10 mins. I want to get a feel for how the latest version of your mod plays, and then decide what my fleet compositions should be based on that. I've no qualms using normal variety super-freighters for now. When I post version 0.9.1, I'll have an additional ship or two to add, and it will affect all my fleet compositions, Exerelin and standalone, anyway.
    When the Oasis appears in Exerelin, I'd very much like it to be part of a unique fleet as well. The Armada controller probably wouldn't be a good idea, but I think I will try and put some logic into Exerelin via some kind of mod-specific/exerelin-specific handshake plugin to allow for there to only exist one at a time in the sector.

No worries I thought that might be the case :)

I guess it doesn't really fit with the EliteShips definitions either; they are there for mods which have ships that should not be sold in stations but should occasionally appear in existing AI fleets (and so offer a miniscule chance of obtaining via boarding), either because they are not balanced or rare.

There are both a SectorEventManager and a SystemEventManager class that are used to trigger certain things for both the sector and each of the systems. Perhaps the Nomad Armada could be managed by an EventNomadArmada, triggered by the SectorEventManager, and only if the Nomads mod is running alongside Exerelin. That would allow an easy segregation of code.

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: October 06, 2013, 08:11:22 PM »

Are Onslaught and Paragon the "Elite" ships you mentioned? I see so few of them when I was playing.

Also, I think the Tri-Tachyon faction spawns fewer ships with its fleets? For most factions the typical sentinel fleet is around 5 cruisers and 6 destroyers, but Tri-tac sentinel usually around 3 cruisers 2 destroyers and 4 frigates. Similar story for the Wayfarer and Attack fleets as well.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: October 06, 2013, 08:31:33 PM »

Are Onslaught and Paragon the "Elite" ships you mentioned? I see so few of them when I was playing.

Also, I think the Tri-Tachyon faction spawns fewer ships with its fleets? For most factions the typical sentinel fleet is around 5 cruisers and 6 destroyers, but Tri-tac sentinel usually around 3 cruisers 2 destroyers and 4 frigates. Similar story for the Wayfarer and Attack fleets as well.

Paragon is; Onslaught isn't.

The Tri-Tachyon used to do quite well and had a slightly lower maximum fleet size compared to the other factions (the pirates had their limit increased). Perhaps now with CR and other re-balancing since 0.54 it all needs to be looked at again. Thanks, I'll have a look through it soon :)

LarvaLounge

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: October 06, 2013, 08:58:29 PM »

Perhaps calling the  fleets a name based on the faction they are drawn from might be better. i.e. Rebel Rogue Drones, Rebel Freedom Fighters, Rebel Corporate Dissenters.

I think that's a fine way to deal with it.  And yes I understand that I am nitpicking a naming convention in a mod for a game that's in alpha... but hey, why not?  It's only because I love the game and I love this mod.

Some ideas:

Heretic Fleet - Kadur
Extremist Fleet - Qamar
Rogue A.I. Fleet - Bushi
Corrupted Hive Fleet - Zorg
Renegade Fleet - Junk Pirates (or... Junkzerker Fleet?)
Zombie Fleet - Pirates.... obviously.

Insurgent, Separatist, Dissident... I think giving each Faction it's own flavor of 'Rebel' would add a lot of... uh... flavor... to the game.  Personally, I don't think they all need to say 'Rebel' in the name for people to quickly figure out that they can kill those guys without starting any wars.  The bright yellow icon and the fact that they are 'hostile' and attacking everything in sight should be clue enough.

You could ask the creators of the Faction mods if they have a particular lore-friendly name they'd like to have their default 'rebels' labelled.

Oh and yeah... lore wise the Qamar are the Kadur 'rebels' right?  But since they are 2 separate factions, they'd both need their own internal 'rebels' as well.

EDIT:  Side note... I think killing 'rebels' in another faction's territory should raise your standing with that faction some.  Or does it do that already?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 09:03:08 PM by LarvaLounge »
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 141