Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 141

Author Topic: [0.6.2a] Exerelin - Dynamic Sector and Faction War - v0.644  (Read 917193 times)

angrytigerp

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.54.1a] Exerelin - Dynamic System and Faction War - v0.58
« Reply #705 on: September 04, 2013, 01:06:07 PM »

I feel like Council is a bit unbalanced. Yes, I saw:
Zaphide built Exerelin with the intention of taking factions that he liked and putting them in the playground all together. This is not Uz's Corvus. It is not vanilla balanced, nor does it strive to be.

but still, I chose Council because I liked the design of their ships, both sub-, trans-, and true capitals, but I'm finding a fleet of myself in a Hawk II and 4 Spartakans can easily wreck almost anything. This is especially since I have my skills set so that my shields are pretty much impenetrable. 4 Void Beams plus 2 Autoblasters plus Medium CEPCs (with Augmented Magazines to increase the latter twos' burst DPS) and I can pretty much go face-to-face with pretty much anything, up to and including ramming them with my shields to generate flux to boost my weapons' damage because my ship is expelling it faster than my weapons and the enemies' fire generates.

The one weakness I have is getting swarmed, but usually the only ships that are fast enough to do that (augmented engines and manuevering, both from hullmods and skills) also explode within seconds of me targeting them. The only guys I kind of find tricky to fight are Tri-Tachyon because of all the phase cloaking and teleporting, makes it hard to draw a bead... except I outrun almost anything except frigates.

As a side note, are skills really this broken in Vanilla? That would solve half of my gripes. I never played Vanilla after the skills update came out, so I don't know if it's normal for you to just have a ship that can outrun anything while putting out as much DPS as two battleships combined.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: September 04, 2013, 01:47:24 PM »

Yes, it's quite normal. Once you have a fair few of the combat skills (75 0-flux bonuses up to 25% max flux, high velocity ammo for those slow moving shots like Hellbores, super fast venting, passive shield dissipation), just about the only ships that don't turn into killing machines are the freighters. Any battleship that is respectable in it's vanilla form, after hull upgrades, skills and perks will find itself being able to cruise through 3rd and 4th level fleets with some ease. The Antediluvians can counter this playstyle pretty hard though, thanks mainly to their fighters which come in wings of 4 and do NOT die to PD simply looking in their general direction. Having 4-5 wings of those things pewing away at your shields will drive even Neutrino shields up pretty fast and especially in the case of the exposed Neutrino ships, all that pepper fire will disable weapons and engines all over the place. Then the meatier Antediluvian ships catch up with their Solon guns and torpedoes and you find yourself dead pretty quick.

The Council Loyalists are known for being a spot above the rest, with 0.4-0.6 shields across the board and deceptively powerful weapons like the triple blasters, gladiator beams or the built-in weapons of the Defender, Alliance or Venator. All of which have the combined DPS of a light cruiser channeled into two mounted guns at their fronts. Even the Defender puts out about 1000 DPS on paper. Then add the RoF perk in there, damage skills and the skill that allows you to punch through armour faster and yeah.... That dinky frigate with Unstable Injectors can and will solo 4th level fleets. Davidoff is very freaking aware of it because there has been more than enough QQ about it. Ships like the Defender are being toned down for the next version of the Loyalists.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: September 05, 2013, 02:04:47 AM »

its not me getting pumbled its my allies...and because the things stats are too high all the auto resolved battle from other fleets against it always lose...because they dont hardly take things like their weakness into account with fleets like this

Lopunny, I appreciate the feedback but as others have said it is quite easy to remove factions you do not like. In fact, you could download the NoFactions version and then download whichever supported faction mods you like and build your own faction list like that :) You just have to run the mods at the same time and Exerelin will detect the other mod(s) and allow you to use the factions.

Personally I have no issues with the OP'ness or UP'ness of certain factions; it doesn't detract from the experience for me, therefore I will not be removing/adjusting them.

The auto-resolve issues unfortunately impact more than just the Nihil. Alex has mentioned there will be a customizable auto-resolve plugin for StarSector 0.6, with which I will be able to tweak the results to give a more balanced outcome. In my mind this is the main issue, and I would fix it if I could.

Suggestion:

Why not tag some of the habitable planets as having population and "mine" them for crew?

Haha :P Well, I was thinking of recruitment fleets that go from stations to habitable planets to pick up recruits, dropping them back to stations thus turning them into marines/crew that way. Or maybe planets can be conquered by factions, and once conquered send out crew/marine supply fleets to friendly stations. Similar thing I guess.

--- snip ---
As a side note, are skills really this broken in Vanilla? That would solve half of my gripes. I never played Vanilla after the skills update came out, so I don't know if it's normal for you to just have a ship that can outrun anything while putting out as much DPS as two battleships combined.

Yeah the skills seem to make existing imbalances even worse :(

--- snip ---
All of which have the combined DPS of a light cruiser channeled into two mounted guns at their fronts. Even the Defender puts out about 1000 DPS on paper. Then add the RoF perk in there, damage skills and the skill that allows you to punch through armour faster and yeah....
--- snip ---

Yeah their weapons are slightly too powerful. Still, they are great fun to play against, and the designs are too good to just leave out :)

Axiom

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: September 05, 2013, 11:25:46 AM »

Easy remedy to playing an OP faction- Play Tri-Tachyon or Hegemony. The AI is incapable of truly abusing the broken-ness of a few of the factions, so it should be more challenging but not impossible. For additional challenge make sure your playing on "Player takes 100% damage"
in settings, and skill up your leadership skills or non pilot specific skills instead of those broken combat (or even more broken imho) tech skills.

If you do all of that, Fleet composition, weapons load out, Tactical awareness, and raw skill all count for a LOT more.

As to AI fleets getting pummeled- yeah, that sucks and there is nothing you can really do about it. The best way of dealing with it is to ensure your faction has the economy to rebuild faster and better then your enemy and/or  fly in and pick off half the enemy fleet just before they fight.

But that kind of comes back to "Tactical awareness and raw skill" right?

Borgoid

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: September 05, 2013, 11:16:45 PM »

If you're after more challenge you might also consider not using any of the Nihil weapons or the Council Autoblasters as the break some of the basic mechanical "Rules" in that in the case of Nihil they're far too efficient in terms of Flux and OP->Damage -along with high range- and in the case of Autoblasters they're better than 1-1 hard flux generating energy weapons..... Compare them to the Heavy Blaster, Pulse Laser, Mining Blaster... Gedune Repeater, the built-in Scorpion, Photon Cannon... Well you get the idea.

Oh you might want to Avoid Light(And Medium if you can EVER find one) Blasters too from Council as they too are better than 1-1 hard flux generators but that's a bit more questionable as they're small with short(ish) range.

The Council ships are definitely powerful in terms of raw stats and design but they're MUCH harder to play with limited weaponry, you might also want to turn off the Omnifactory if you're the kind of person who's okay with terrible drop rates :P

Alternatively as suggested simply don't play AS the Council, you'll have to work MUCH harder to obtain their ships -especially without the omnifactory- and that in itself feels pretty damn rewarding

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: September 06, 2013, 06:38:37 AM »

Loyalists. Pls. Loyalists. Council Loyalists.
 ::) :D

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: September 06, 2013, 06:41:30 AM »

or Hegemony_Core ::)

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: September 06, 2013, 08:05:48 AM »

or Hegemony_Core ::)

Noone knows that, unles they dig inside the mods files :P

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: September 06, 2013, 11:41:13 AM »

Anyway, is the insurrection bug with Valkyrians fixed in the next update Zaphide? because i haven't captured my 4th station yet and i've already had 2 insurrections and accidents in stations. :-\

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: September 06, 2013, 03:16:25 PM »

Loyalists. Pls. Loyalists. Council Loyalists.
 ::) :D

haha coincidence? https://bitbucket.org/Zaphide/exerelin/commits/2fc007e5fec3930d821f7d8f64c8ae2b1ad2b9cc :) (I did this just before your post!)

Still, I think people will still call them council over loyalists  :-\ we'll see

Anyway, is the insurrection bug with Valkyrians fixed in the next update Zaphide? because i haven't captured my 4th station yet and i've already had 2 insurrections and accidents in stations. :-\

Hmmm there is nothing specific that singles out and punishes the Valkyrians :P but maybe I need to dial down the chance of random events?

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: September 06, 2013, 06:08:40 PM »

well, there is totally something odd, because i played with interstellar federation to level 50, i didn't get a SINGLE insurrection, and then played with valks and i haven't captured my first 3 stations yet and boom double  insurrection and i lost.

Borgoid

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: September 07, 2013, 12:40:35 AM »

I'll start calling them Loyalists the second that the visible names imply that they're called Loyalists :P

Frankly the insurrections aren't so bad... it's when the new factions entering the system declare war on you... every time... with three out-system fleets each... six times in a row... and you're playing Nomad with one station and your fleet consists of a Komodo.

Poor luck really... By the way is it possible for the out-system fleets bugger the hell off once they capture a station? As is they just float around being dicks until you yourself have something large enough to kill them which usually involves a Valk or Council(Muhaha) super-cruiser. The system doesn't seem to be able to handle them at all because of the nature of auto resolve fights, those fleets never get worn down.

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: September 07, 2013, 10:25:12 AM »

I'll start calling them Loyalists the second that the visible names imply that they're called Loyalists :P

Council Loyalists  :P (not just Bond.. James Bond  :D)

And yay..

haha coincidence? https://bitbucket.org/Zaphide/exerelin/commits/2fc007e5fec3930d821f7d8f64c8ae2b1ad2b9cc :) (I did this just before your post!)

So.. in a way, double yay :D

Still, I think people will still call them council over loyalists  :-\ we'll see

Well, I guess then I will have to win a million in a lottery, buy lots of bean cans, chat with alex on his idea of lore(how stuff looked like before the
eletricity went off gates went down..) and make Remnant into full faction and actually make a true Council faction (which will be OP OP  ;) )

Edit - for if the Sarcasm was not obvious  :P Ive put up a sarcasm sign.
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 02:18:42 AM by MrDavidoff »

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: September 07, 2013, 10:40:04 AM »

They will be so overpowered, that overpowered factions will be balanced in compare. ::)

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: September 08, 2013, 02:39:45 AM »

v0.59 DEV Update 2
Now available for those that are interested. Like the previous DEV, this version of Exerelin does not include any modded factions. You can download the supported modded factions (including all those included with v0.58) and run those mods concurrently with Exerelin to include those factions in your Exerelin gameplay. This does have the added bonus of being able to use the most up-to-date versions of those mods.

Download: https://bitbucket.org/Zaphide/exerelin/downloads/Exerelin_DEV_NoFactions_v0.59.zip

Main New Features
Changes to the station boarding mechanics. Marines now slug it out dice rolling for station ownership. Player fleets can conquer stations if they have the correct composition. Early support for Erick Doe's Zorg and DarkAlbino's Qualljom Society Work-In-Progress factions. As these factions are WIP I'm sure their authors would welcome any constructive feedback :)

Previous DEV changes are here (also listed below if interested). Note the previous DEV added support for the following faction mods:
Avan's Ceredia, Isora and Directorate factions (NOTE: There are compatability issues between Avan's mod and the Tore Up Plenty and Interstellar Federation mods)
Verrius's Shadow Order
Verrius's Scrappers
TheCounter's Independant Mining Faction
Erick Doe's Tore Up Plenty start ship options

I suggest you don't try to include all the supported faction mods at once, but it is good to mix and match :)

If you do test out this version, please let me know if any issues you find :) Happy playing!

Mod Development
As before, it is unlikely I will release a stable included factions version before StarSector 0.6 rolls around. I will release further DEV versions if things are proceeding well. You can view what I'm working on here. As always, if you would like to contribute to development please let me know :)

Changes
Code
v0.59 (DEV2)
 - Player can now take over stations (requires at least one superfreighter, one troop transport and minimum 3 ships total in fleet)
   - Hover fleet over station for one day to initiate boarding
 - Boarding fleets now use marines to fight defending marines
   - If attacking fleet loses all marines damage is taken by the attacking fleet
   - If defending station loses all marines station is taken over and the attacking fleet loses it's superfreighter and transport
 - AI controlled Boarding fleets now defend stations they take over
 - Player now starts with a boarding-capable fleet
   - Player faction does not start with a command fleet
   - Player must capture first station for their faction
 - Stations being boarded (within last 3 days) do not spawn fleets or generate resources
 - Station efficiency value increases amount of dropped off mined resources from mining fleets (if in bonus state)
 - Added elite fleets to factions that didn't have them specified
 - Added support for Zorg faction
 - Added support for Qualljom Society faction
 - Renamed Council -> Council Loyalists (Sorry MrDavidoff :) )
 - Amended fleet compositions for Pirates
 - Added additional ships and start ship to Isora faction

- Changed color of abandoned faction so stations are visible on map at start
 - Changed faction respawn time to be time BETWEEN faction respawns rather than time till the first respawn and then every month afterwards
 - Changed number of attack/defense fleets to 1 per station
 - Changed patrol fleets to now attack/defend if their home station is threatened
   - Otherwise, they can attack/defend/raid
   - In peace they patrol

- Fixed issue where portraits were not selectable on new game
 - Fixed issue starting a new game throwing a OutOfRange during system lookup on the detected sector change
 - Fixed neutrino support issue

- Renamed Resource Convoys -> Logistics Convoys
 - A few performance improvements
 - Increased minimum wait time between system events

v0.59 (DEV1)
- Added EliteShips list for various factions that contains unbalanced or dreadnaught-style ships
  - Only spawn occasionally as part of a fleet, never delivered

- Fixed support for Relics (elder+purifer)
- Added support for Directorate (Avan's Mod)
- Added support for Isora (Avan's Mod)
- Added support for Ceredia (Avan's Mod)
- Added support for Independant Mining Faction
- Added support for Scrappers
- Added support for Shadow Order

- Updated Valkyrian supported version
- Updated Shadowyards HI supported version
- Updated Bushi supported version
- Updated Thule Legacy supported version
- Updated Tore Up Plenty supported version

- Renamed Out System Attack Fleet -> Command Fleet
- Command fleets now always defend even at start of game
- Renamed Out System Supply Convoy -> Supply Convoy
- Renamed InSystem Station Attack Fleet -> Boarding Fleet
- Renamed InSystem Supply Convoy -> Resource Convoy

- Fixed check no rebels already in system when creating more rebels against faction
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 05:23:04 AM by Zaphide »
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 141