Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 141

Author Topic: [0.6.2a] Exerelin - Dynamic Sector and Faction War - v0.644  (Read 917213 times)

Ronald Klein

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.54.1a] Exerelin - Dynamic System and Faction War - v0.58
« Reply #690 on: August 25, 2013, 10:00:56 AM »

I keep getting a fatal: null error everytime I try and fight anything. I'm only using exerelin and lazylib. Makes the game completely unplayable. Any thoughts?

Spoiler
223866 [Thread-6] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.D  - java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
   at sun.misc.Unsafe.allocateMemory(Native Method)
   at java.nio.DirectByteBuffer.<init>(DirectByteBuffer.java:99)
   at java.nio.ByteBuffer.allocateDirect(ByteBuffer.java:288)
   at org.lwjgl.BufferUtils.createByteBuffer(BufferUtils.java:60)
   at com.fs.graphics.TextureLoader.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ooOO.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ooOO.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.A.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.A.String.while$super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.A.ÖÖ?000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.A.A.new(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.D.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$2.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
[close]

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: August 25, 2013, 06:32:55 PM »

Its the out'a memory bug, basically a bug in the vanilla game that becomes more frequent the more stuff you have going on in the game. The bug was never seen in the vanilla game, with only 3-4 factions to worry about, but with large mods such as this one that add a dozen or so more, the bug can show its face quite often. The usual solution is to save your game often and close and re-open the game if you've been playing a while, but if it is happening every battle that probably won't solve much. People have had some success in fixing or postponing the bug by opening the vmparams file with notepad and changing the numbers around a bit on the part that says -Xms512m -Xmx1024m, either by lowering both numbers or raising them a bit, and usually making them the same. There is a thread somewhere telling about this but I'm not sure where to find it at the moment; it basically changes how much memory the game is aloud to use.

The creator of starsector is aware of the bug and has fixed it for the next version.

Ronald Klein

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: August 26, 2013, 05:05:22 AM »

Ok got it sirboomalot.Thanks for the info!

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: September 01, 2013, 01:37:38 PM »

Sorry for the late replies all! I have been away for a couple of weeks.

So how exactly do I capture another station?

You can't (yet). Your faction will automatically capture stations with certain fleets.

--- snip ---
And is there a way to let my faction increase its spawning of fleets? I mean I kill most of the enemy fleets near the station and hoping that my faction will spawn an invasion fleet. However usually I see the enemy faction spawn a huge new defensive fleet and I need to start all over again.

Maybe related but if I give my station loads of materials and fuel will it spawn fleets faster? Or whats the trigger? Trigger seems to be when the faction is in trouble.   

If you give your station fuel/supplies/regular crew they will spawn bigger fleets, more often. The trigger is a time delay, and once the time delay is met the station must have sufficient resources to spawn a fleet. The fleet sizes are adjusted to how many resources are available.

I'd like to see some features from fleet control in this. Such as the ability to construct a station yourself and produce the various fleets (mining, defense, station assault, etc.) at it. Might give you the option of joining the game independently as the player faction instead of with one of the various factions.
Being able to capture stations by yourself would be awesome as well or at the very least the option to initiate a station assault.
Great mod by the way. I love the challenge of not being able to instantly get any ship you want.

The fleet control mod probably more contains more micro-management than I would like this mod to have, but it will certainly have more options for the player to direct their faction. At the moment it is somewhat limited in what can be achieved via modding without resorting to fairly roundabout coding :)

Yeah allowing the player's fleet to act as a station capture fleet is on my things to do :)

Man, it's been such a long time since I posted.  Been crazy lately.

Was finally able to download your git version and able to start on those diplomacy/station inventory changes I talked about frickin' months ago.  It will definitely be nice to be able to purchase weapons/ships from your allies.  It honestly looks easier than I first anticipated, so we'll see how it goes!  It's definitely good to see how well your mod is going, Zap.

Sounds good :) The FactionsRemoved branch has the latest code (v0.59_DEV). The Master branch is still at v0.58. If you do wish to contribute any changes please let me know and I'll add you to the BitBucket project. I would prefer to manage things via Git rather than doing manual code merges all over the place  :P

Ok got it sirboomalot.Thanks for the info!

Thanks sirboomalot, and glad you got it working Criticopulus  :)

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: September 02, 2013, 04:12:34 PM »

can Nihil get balanced please...they are too strong...hell even their fighters shoot to far/ are too fast and do too much damage....you cant shoot at a target that goes that fast....and all their ships are overpowered and weapons are too perfectly placed...it gets annoying to play a game where one team is infinitely better...even worse they almost always win the auto matches without losing a single ship..just getting bigger..i hate that team...it has no fair play or weaknesses

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: September 02, 2013, 04:18:46 PM »

Say that to the mod author, Zaphide isn't the modder for Nihil, and if i remember correctly, they weren't tagged as balanced to begin with, much like council, which ain't tagged either (i think)

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: September 02, 2013, 04:43:40 PM »

Lopunny, you sure do complain a lot of the factions.  :-\

The "Anti" wings (which I think were meant to be called Anti Fighter but the Fighter part is just a designation, not a name, so they're just called Antis) are incredibly fast, yes, but are also incredibly weak. Fast reacting PD weapons (burst PD) will kill them, while weapons like Dual Flak will easily knock out their engines and send them spiralling away at incredible speed.

Larger Nihil ships are painfully slow. That dreadnaught, despite it's size and the capabilities of it's weapons, is little more than a punch bag. That thing must creep along at like 10SU/s. If it's in range, it's because you LET it get in range. Pretty much any capital ship should be able to move out of it's way and if a capital ship can do it, so can anything smaller.

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: September 02, 2013, 07:06:16 PM »

I complain alot because if i dont noone does...shouldnt they be balanced then...this is a collab after all and one should abide by the rules...(there better be ground rules) i mean what your saying is they can pump their ego by making their team better then the others...seems like a childish approuch...if the mods imbalanced..then dont put it in collabs like these..and yes i complain alot because when im nice noone listens to me which is always...i love this game and this mod...id hate to see it spoiled by imba teams for no reason. I bet anti stands for Anti Everthing...because frigates...which should be missles and FIGHTER counter cant hit them...the creator doesnt relize there are teams like to lotus that CANT equip those burst PD things...so its impossible...and the big guy is a problem...his flux is so freakin high and computers are stupid so naturally they get close and die...and i cant flux it on my own v.v
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 07:09:36 PM by Lopunny Zen »

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: September 02, 2013, 07:45:04 PM »

Lopunny, this mod is a compilation, not a collab. The factions in this mod were not made specifically for this mod, they were not balanced specifically for this mod, and a few of them weren't meant to be balanced at all. There were not any ground rules for mods being balanced in this mod, because those factions were made before this mod even existed. The creator of this mod decided to add in the mods that might not be very balanced, knowing that they weren't quite perfectly balanced, because he knew that some people wouldn't mind that those factions were slightly more of a challenge, and because he had added an option to disable those factions for the people who did mind. The creators of the factions which are overpowered did not create those factions to boost their ego, they created those factions for the people who find the balanced factions too easy to beat.

This mod is not spoiled by unbalanced teams, because each and every person playing the mod has the ability to disable the teams that they think are unbalanced. The factions you choose to play with or as basically determines the difficulty of the game with this mod. To play on uber hard, play as the pirates or ASP, to play on easy, play as the council. To play on medium, you might play as the blackrock or shadowyards, and disable the council or nihil faction. How hard the game is is entirely up to you.

Please stop playing on hard and then complaining about the difficulty level, when the creator has given you ways to change that difficulty level.

Borgoid

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: September 02, 2013, 08:12:46 PM »

Not only does blame not rest on the mod pack itself but.. Regarding Nihil's actual balance:

Their ships while having reasonably good weapon positioning are actually fairly poor in terms of flux dissipation/capacity, they have average high tech shields but are made of paper similar to the Tri-T ship design so I don't see what the issue is there.

The real issue has nothing to do with the faction, the ships, or even the fighters - Which by the way get shredded by even a single burst PD laser - It's entirely down to the weapons which are too efficient in terms of flux->damage ratio and range... but they're weapons.
The solution is to either fight fire with fire and load up any energy ship with Antimatter Throwers or Void Drivers and simply burn them down or if you're after a different approach bias your ships towards Kinetic loadouts, my personal suggestion is kinetic weapons such as the HVPC from Thule, the Railgun or Light Needler ( Or any of their larger equivalents ) from vanilla combined with any high explosive missile....  Or Bulwark missiles since Nihil armor is so flimsy on the smaller ships and the dps on Bulwarks is extremely high on raw hull.

Regarding the Irritum dreadnought: It has a frontal shield and basically can't turn, stay behind it and either burn its rear armor down or EMP it once it lowers its shields, I'd suggest any generic energy weapon that generates hard flux no matter how inefficient it is since the rear defense on the Irritum is poor at best and it has quite a lot of hull so ammo might be an issue with a Ballistic weapon.

Nihil are FAR from unbeatable, especially in THIS modpack, Blackrock basically hardcounters the entire Nihil fleet with high mobility and alpha strike damage when played properly.

Edit: if you'd like I can record a video of a Thule capital ship cutting down frigates, fighters, destroyers and Cruisers solo :P
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 08:24:00 PM by Borgoid »

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: September 02, 2013, 08:54:26 PM »

yes but thule are based on carefully placed guns en-mase of course they can d it...sadly no shields

Borgoid

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: September 02, 2013, 09:04:03 PM »

yes but thule are based on carefully placed guns en-mase of course they can d it...sadly no shields

I fail to see how " No shields" is a valid criticism since it's clearly not getting in the way of dealing with the Nihil.

Then what's your problem? I could probably do it with a Paragon, Auria, Centaur, Banshee, could definitely do it with a Conquest, any of the Hawk ships, an Intrepid would have no issues, a Mimir would run circles around them, a well played Odyssey... a Vanquish could probably do it too. And that's not even mentioning any of the Vatican capitals.

A well played Eagle, Lathe, Nevermore, Raven, or any of the Council and a good chunk of the Valk cruisers could do it, Goat's typically do pretty well as well if outfitted with something that can generate hard flux in the large slot.

Edit: Oh I forgot Komodo destroyers, Rive, Medusa... the Sunder is pretty good as well at Nihil in general. All of those punch well above their weight when it comes to Nihil when played properly.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 09:07:31 PM by Borgoid »

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: September 03, 2013, 12:11:14 AM »

I complain alot because if i dont noone does...shouldnt they be balanced then...this is a collab after all and one should abide by the rules...

There are no rules.
Zaphide built Exerelin with the intention of taking factions that he liked and putting them in the playground all together. This is not Uz's Corvus. It is not vanilla balanced, nor does it strive to be.

I bet anti stands for Anti Everthing...because frigates...which should be missles and FIGHTER counter cant hit them...
Already mentioned that Anti wings have the durability of tissue paper.

the creator doesnt relize there are teams like to lotus that CANT equip those burst PD things
And what you don't realise is that the Lotus Conglomerate is not made to equip energy weapons. Can't equip Burst PD? Load up on Flak. Fight the Thule Legacy and make use of their Bulwark SRMs. Fill out your small slots with revolver autocannons because those are HE damage and will rip through Antis.

and the big guy is a problem...his flux is so freakin high and computers are stupid so naturally they get close and die...and i cant flux it on my own v.v
The "big guy" is even less maneuverable than the Vaticans. As I said, if you're letting that thing pummel you, it's entirely your own fault for wandering into it's path. It's incredibly easy to flank and with 1000+ range guns and with range upgrades, you can whale on it's shields from well outside of it's own ranges.

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: September 03, 2013, 04:27:48 PM »

its not me getting pumbled its my allies...and because the things stats are too high all the auto resolved battle from other fleets against it always lose...because they dont hardly take things like their weakness into account with fleets like this

DarkAlbino

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: September 04, 2013, 12:25:02 PM »

Suggestion:

Why not tag some of the habitable planets as having population and "mine" them for crew?
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 141