Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 141

Author Topic: [0.6.2a] Exerelin - Dynamic Sector and Faction War - v0.644  (Read 917260 times)

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.54.1a] Exerelin - Dynamic System and Faction War - v0.58
« Reply #660 on: August 04, 2013, 09:29:28 PM »

I'm sure it was you who said your ships' armour constituted space-grade tissuepaper armour. If not you, then someone else.

I find the Morningstar to be rather durable, considering it's near frigate size. I kept thinking it was just a heavy frigate till I looked at in the overviews and saw it was actually a destroyer. Mimir is god awfully annoying to get off your ass with it's ability to just make 3 decently ranged blinks into your face. My current bushi cruiser is armed with a standard phase skimmer and barely jumps more than the length of the ship itself. Charybdis is fairly weak, but it's a carrier, I don't expect it to take a pounding like the Mimir does.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: August 05, 2013, 02:50:03 AM »

This is really fun, thanks for making it!  It took me a while to find settings that worked for me, but starting in a fairly big system with only two factions then having the others start to show up 2-4 months later seem to be the sweet spot for me.

Thanks Rhoastabotch :) and I agree, it takes a bit of time to find what works best for you.

If I can make an enhancement request, as a fan, I would really like to decide which other factions show up.  --- snip ---

The first post in this thread has details on how to remove factions you don't want to play with/against. See the 'Restricting Certain Included Factions' guide.

--- snip ---
Drawpbawx, should you wish to take a gander, Zaphide.
--- snip ---

Thanks! I'll have a look when I get a chance :)

Regarding OP ships

A few pages back (or maybe quite a few, or maybe somewhere else, I forget :) ) it was discussed having a list of ships per faction that are included in fleets under certain conditions, and that do not appear in stations for sale. Examples would include the Unsung, Vatican IV, Stormcrow etc.

It seems a bit of a shame to have these interesting ships that do not get used, so I would prefer to look for a way to include them even if they are super rare :)

Regarding cross-faction balance discussion appearing in this thread

I think Exerelin sets up a pretty good stage for faction vs. faction, and so perhaps differences are more noticeable (and irritating :P )

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: August 05, 2013, 03:41:21 AM »

Got a release out... I suspect I haven't squished all the bugs out, but I think the main issues with a different economy are now working.  I need to take long hard look at how the bigger fleets get spawned and make some sort of strategic AI; I want to see early-game after declarations of war, lots of small stuff that early players can kill and then scale things up when the players above level 25 or so.  But features like having to pay your crew wages and other things like that are working at this point, so you might want to take a look.  Feel free to use anything you like, of course- I think the economic stuff will be pretty cool when the balance is a little tighter :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: August 05, 2013, 04:18:51 AM »

I think Exerelin sets up a pretty good stage for faction vs. faction, and so perhaps differences are more noticeable (and irritating :P )

I think that some factions are not supposed to win an equal fp-fp battle. Think about it, a fleet of Atlases will never be able to face any opponent. Same thing happens for not militarized factions, like ASP. Not every faction is supposed to be on par with TT or Heg for example.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: August 05, 2013, 04:50:18 AM »

Got a release out... I suspect I haven't squished all the bugs out, but I think the main issues with a different economy are now working.  I need to take long hard look at how the bigger fleets get spawned and make some sort of strategic AI; I want to see early-game after declarations of war, lots of small stuff that early players can kill and then scale things up when the players above level 25 or so.  But features like having to pay your crew wages and other things like that are working at this point, so you might want to take a look.  Feel free to use anything you like, of course- I think the economic stuff will be pretty cool when the balance is a little tighter :)

Very nice! Glad you got it all working :) Yeah the strategic AI is in the back of my mind; it will be much more important when there is multiple systems.

I think that some factions are not supposed to win an equal fp-fp battle. Think about it, a fleet of Atlases will never be able to face any opponent. Same thing happens for not militarized factions, like ASP. Not every faction is supposed to be on par with TT or Heg for example.

True but I do think though there is an general expectation of (approximate) ship to ship balance. The ASP or the Atlas have other things going for them besides their combat ability, so their FP cost is justified not just by their combat potential.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: August 05, 2013, 05:40:37 AM »

So it happened again. Reverse engineered Bushi replication technology that is.... Station was taken a couple days ago in game time. Some of those fleets are the Out of System roflstomping fleets. Fortunately, my shoving a ton of PoWs onto the Council Loyalists paid off, allied with them and the Relics under the Galactic Coalition. Unfortunately, the pirates couldn't care less and redeclared war like, the next day.

Drawpbawx, should you wish to take a gander, Zaphide.

Bushi seems to have forgotten how to use this replication technology though because despite dumping ~6000 men, ~4000 supplies and ~3000 marines, the Bushi stations still couldn't produce large numbers of full size fleets. They still much preferred sending out tiny scouting parties instead. I thought maybe the 700 remaining supplies was the issue, so I dragged another few thousand supplies from other stations, to no effect. Oh well, the Pirates have made good use of that crazy excess of resources.

OK so finally had a look at this, I think what happened (and it wouldn't be super uncommon) is that 3 Out System fleets took over that station, which dumps a LOT of resources in it (kind of a kickstart). So you have those 3 fleets, plus then it will spawn 2 defense fleets, plus 2 attack fleets, plus 2 patrol fleets, plus 1 Station attack fleet. Kind of a lot in a small space but yeah :P

At least you still have your Council allies?  :D

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: August 05, 2013, 07:10:12 AM »

I'm sure it was you who said your ships' armour constituted space-grade tissuepaper armour. If not you, then someone else.

I find the Morningstar to be rather durable, considering it's near frigate size. I kept thinking it was just a heavy frigate till I looked at in the overviews and saw it was actually a destroyer. Mimir is god awfully annoying to get off your ass with it's ability to just make 3 decently ranged blinks into your face. My current bushi cruiser is armed with a standard phase skimmer and barely jumps more than the length of the ship itself. Charybdis is fairly weak, but it's a carrier, I don't expect it to take a pounding like the Mimir does.

I did indeed say that thing about space tissue armor, heh.  I suppose what I should have said was that there was some suggestion (way back on page 30 something) of the faction being overall fairly easy/not very challenging to fight against, which I kinda suspect may mean not very fun to fight either.

And this is definitely true.  I suppose I shouldn't worry about it after all.

Infinite Monkeys

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: August 05, 2013, 02:27:49 PM »

How do I find the Omnifactory? I spent like 20 minutes hunting through the map and couldn't find it, so I looked in the campaign file and changed the location of my fleet to the location of the factory (I think) but when I loaded the save I was still in the same place I was when I saved it...

e: Found it, it didn't pick a planet without any other stations for some reason.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 06:42:31 PM by Infinite Monkeys »

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: August 05, 2013, 02:42:42 PM »

How do I find the Omnifactory? I spent like 20 minutes hunting through the map and couldn't find it, so I looked in the campaign file and changed the location of my fleet to the location of the factory (I think) but when I loaded the save I was still in the same place I was when I saved it...

Provided you selected it in the system setup options, it will appear on the map as a purplish station (the same color as the Trade Guild fleets).

And this is definitely true.  I suppose I shouldn't worry about it after all.

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it :) SHI is well balanced I think.

Infinite Monkeys

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: August 05, 2013, 03:10:11 PM »

Why am I being paid wages? I have loads of credits pretty early on because I keep getting paid wages of like 5000 or something, it feels like I'm cheating.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: August 05, 2013, 04:35:03 PM »

e: Found it, it didn't pick a planet without any other stations for some reason: http://puu.sh/3UCyq.jpg

The Omnifactory sets up at the first station your faction makes home at. So if you faction makes home at a station called "Hell Terminal", it'll set up in orbit over Hell as well. The storage facility will also make home at Hell. If you lose Hell, though, the Omnifactory and storage facility will not relocate.

Infinite Monkeys

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: August 05, 2013, 06:43:18 PM »

Oh, the OP of the Omnifactory mod page says it picks a random uninhabited planet. Also that puu.sh didn't capture right for some reason, it was meant to be the 3 stations.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: August 05, 2013, 08:08:55 PM »

That's what the Omnifactory does normally, but Zaphide changed that about for Exerelin.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: August 14, 2013, 04:53:43 AM »

DEV Update
I have put together another DEV version with no included factions for those who are interested.
https://bitbucket.org/Zaphide/exerelin/downloads/Exerelin_NoFactions_0.59.zip NOT SAVE COMPATIBLE

Due to some ship name clashes between Avan's Mod and other mods, avoid running it with Tore Up Plenty or Independent Defense Force. I haven't been able to contact Avan to get his OK to support his mod in Exerelin, so Avan if you have an issue with it please let me know :)

Unfortunately there are not a lot of obvious changes (other than the increased faction support). Most of the work was done to prepare some groundwork for multiple systems :)

Development Plans
It is unlikely I'll release another stable version with included factions to replace the current 0.58 version until after StarSector 0.6.
I'll continue to work on development and will release new development versions if things are in a good state :)

Changes
Code
- Added EliteShips list for various factions that contains unbalanced or dreadnaught-style ships
  - Only spawn occasionally as part of a fleet, never delivered

- Added support for Relics (elder+purifer)
- Added support for Directorate (Avan's Mod)
- Added support for Isora (Avan's Mod)
- Added support for Ceredia (Avan's Mod)
- Added support for Independant Mining Faction
- Added support for Scrappers
- Added support for Shadow Order

- Updated Valkyrian supported version
- Updated Shadowyards HI supported version
- Updated Bushi supported version
- Updated Thule Legacy supported version
- Updated Tore Up Plenty supported version

- Renamed Out System Attack Fleet -> Command Fleet
- Command fleets now always defend even at start of game
- Renamed Out System Supply Convoy -> Supply Convoy
- Renamed InSystem Station Attack Fleet -> Boarding Fleet
- Renamed InSystem Supply Convoy -> Resource Convoy

- Fixed check no rebels already in system when creating more rebels against faction

- Refactored a lot of code for multiple system support (BIG changes, included a lot of pesky fixes, probably introduced a more bugs) :)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: August 14, 2013, 11:55:23 AM »

I'm interested in doing a merge; what are the areas I should be looking at to import, so that my project doesn't get completely bit-rotten?
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 141