Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 141

Author Topic: [0.6.2a] Exerelin - Dynamic Sector and Faction War - v0.644  (Read 922831 times)

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.54.1a] Exerelin - Dynamic System and Faction War - v0.58
« Reply #615 on: July 29, 2013, 02:59:53 PM »

In case anyone prefers this, I have setup a (DEV) version of the mod that does not contain any extra factions:
https://bitbucket.org/Zaphide/exerelin/downloads/Exerelin_NoFactions_0.58.zip

thanks for this. exactly what i wanted. the only "bug" ive noticed so far is that when starting a new game all the portraits are missing except for the default one. theres also a bunch of faction specific Atlas left in the codex, but im assuming that was left for compatibility.

Yeah no idea why the portraits are missing. Hopefully I will find a fix soon :)

Yep the atlasi (hah) are there for compatability.

enigma74

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: July 29, 2013, 11:27:31 PM »

I just wanted to say, thank you for this mod!!!  It really scratched that "mount and blade" itch, but with spaceships.  I hope the vanilla game actually turns out to be something like this mod.

I also had some problems with running out of memory, but using Java 7 64-bit and upping the memory 800m (800 megabytes) seemed to solve the problem.  I'm actually running starsector on a laptop with an integrated graphics card, I'm surprised it works.  However, I can't go above small map size and 5 starbases, haha.

Also, council ships are totally overpowered.  Starting frigate starts with 80 ordanance....before adding in character bonuses.  I used the frigate to win the map, I didn't even bother to upgrade even when I got heavier ships.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 11:29:05 PM by enigma74 »

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: July 30, 2013, 03:40:10 AM »

Also, council ships are totally overpowered.  Starting frigate starts with 80 ordanance....before adding in character bonuses.  I used the frigate to win the map, I didn't even bother to upgrade even when I got heavier ships.

You can whup their asses just as easily as everything else in Exerelin. The Defender's guns are being nerfed. The only thing that stands to prove annoying is the Spearhead Frigate, which is a much improved Hyperion with the triple laser cannon that makes it very difficult to get off your back without support. And as I do not fly with support (I almost always fly a solo battleship), I always endeavour to pick out such targets first.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: July 30, 2013, 04:57:07 AM »

I just wanted to say, thank you for this mod!!!  It really scratched that "mount and blade" itch, but with spaceships.  I hope the vanilla game actually turns out to be something like this mod.

Your welcome :) I suspect the vanilla game will go well and truly above and beyond this mod :)

I also had some problems with running out of memory, but using Java 7 64-bit and upping the memory 800m (800 megabytes) seemed to solve the problem.  I'm actually running starsector on a laptop with an integrated graphics card, I'm surprised it works.  However, I can't go above small map size and 5 starbases, haha.

Interesting, I assumed the numbers had to be powers of 2.

Silver Silence is on the case :P

Still, the council ships tend to display their more OP-nature in the hands of the user and the extra skills.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: July 30, 2013, 07:13:44 AM »

Even without the extra skills, you can start a game as the Council, pick up a Defender, chuck on the Unstable Injector and you have a ship that's almost as fragile as the Hyperion but has the firepower of a destroyer or light cruiser focused into it's two main laser cannons and the speed to run rings around most capitals you'll encounter. And that's just at the start of the game. Even with such power, you can't relax though. A single Pilum hit is often enough to knock out the engines and leave you adrift for quite some time along with trashing like half the Defender's armour. And I don't mean it got through half the armour. I mean it got through -all- the armour and it got through so much armour that only the wingtips on the oppposite end of where you where struck still have armour intact. I've been shot down so many times by a good Pilum hit when not going full speed and having to sit and watch a Lasher cautiously twirl around me while going pewpewpew with autocannons till I asplode. The best one was probably facehugging a Buffalo with the shields lowered because it was nearly dead and the Buffalo won the fight with a single AM-Blaster shot to the face. And all I can do is sit there and giggle like a child at the fact that what's usually cannon fodder for 99% of the ships in the game just handed my ass to me, with it's engines out and on like 5% HP.

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: July 30, 2013, 07:41:09 AM »

For once I would be happy, if ppl actually called the faction by its name, Ive come up with.. nothing mayor, just.. details  :D

Theere has been enough said about this, please be patient till next update, then we can tweak balance on further. Minor note,
Ive neevr noticed ppl writting down how hard its to beat the Old Council Loyalists( :P ) they are suposed to be an enemy to
fight agaisnt, not an easy one, playing with them, yeah..  ;)

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: July 30, 2013, 07:44:31 AM »

Which would you prefer, Davidoff? Council? Or Loyalists? Or the full Council Loyalists name?

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: July 30, 2013, 08:03:16 AM »

Which would you prefer, Davidoff? Council? Or Loyalists? Or the full Council Loyalists name?

I would settle even with OCL  :D Loyalists would do, um.. dont wanna go offtopic, but essentially.

Spoiler
"description":"The Council loyalists are made up of volunteers from across the entire sector, with the bulk of this force made up of formal Hegemony officers, space marines, ship personal etc, who felt that they have no future inside the Hegemony, or simply lost faith in the old order of things, that has allowed the sector to survive for millenia and saved it from falling into total chaos. Others were volunteers from various law-enforcing agencies, independent traders or simple civilians, who grew tired of their every day struggle, filled with constant fear of death and fight for survival. Those who lose faith and see no light at the end of the tunnel were mesmerized, when they saw the Old Council Remnant Armada reappearing out from hyperspace and the technologies they brought along with them. To all these people the service under the Old Remnant offered a new hope and focus, to restore order. Most of them were easily persuaded to join the Council Loyalists, as the Old Council Remnant called them."
[close]

The Loyalists are recruited "fodder"(to put it bluntly) from the known sectors of Starfarer, the ships, weapons they use are given to them by the OCR, Old Council Remnant.
(Remnant isnt present anywhere, till we can have new sectors modded in, the "lore" was made, to put essentially a "foreign" technology into the otherwise ruined sectors)

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: July 30, 2013, 02:18:14 PM »

I would settle even with OCL  :D Loyalists would do, um.. dont wanna go offtopic, but essentially.

Spoiler
"description":"The Council loyalists are made up of volunteers from across the entire sector, with the bulk of this force made up of formal Hegemony officers, space marines, ship personal etc, who felt that they have no future inside the Hegemony, or simply lost faith in the old order of things, that has allowed the sector to survive for millenia and saved it from falling into total chaos. Others were volunteers from various law-enforcing agencies, independent traders or simple civilians, who grew tired of their every day struggle, filled with constant fear of death and fight for survival. Those who lose faith and see no light at the end of the tunnel were mesmerized, when they saw the Old Council Remnant Armada reappearing out from hyperspace and the technologies they brought along with them. To all these people the service under the Old Remnant offered a new hope and focus, to restore order. Most of them were easily persuaded to join the Council Loyalists, as the Old Council Remnant called them."
[close]

The Loyalists are recruited "fodder"(to put it bluntly) from the known sectors of Starfarer, the ships, weapons they use are given to them by the OCR, Old Council Remnant.
(Remnant isnt present anywhere, till we can have new sectors modded in, the "lore" was made, to put essentially a "foreign" technology into the otherwise ruined sectors)

Ah OK, this is mostly my fault  :-[ I got confused when adding them between Hegemony Core (which is used a bit in the code) and Council Loyalists. I kind of combined Hegemony Core and Council Loyalists names in my head to mean a core of the Hegemony that was the Council. I should have read closer.

I will change the factionID to councilLoyalists. For technical reasons, the factionId has to match faction name so unfortunately it looks a bit ugly. Hopefully I can change that in StarSector 0.6.

And yeah, IMO I wouldn't worry too much about their balance (outside of a couple of obvious ships :P ). I hardly ever play as them, mainly be cause it does become very easy. But playing against them, yeah that is much more fun than mowing down pirate fleet after pirate fleet in +50% OP TriTachyon ships. Perhaps they should be a non-playable faction? But I like options... hmmm... :)

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: July 30, 2013, 04:25:08 PM »

Ah OK, this is mostly my fault  :-[ I got confused when adding them between Hegemony Core (which is used a bit in the code) and Council Loyalists. I kind of combined Hegemony Core and Council Loyalists names in my head to mean a core of the Hegemony that was the Council. I should have read closer.

Well, then technically its my fault, because loong ago, before I had any sprites done I actually used the faction ID hegemony_core for testing, made the "lore" faction names much later on, but I was lazy to change the ID since then.  :-X

Making them unplayable faction would essentially lock the games difficulty on "hard", if they were present, which would serve the purpose, but also I think it would escalate the hate :D and.. i laos prefer to have options :)

Fishst

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: July 31, 2013, 02:28:50 AM »

Has the bug when playing with ISF been resolved so that they make actual station attack fleets now?

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: July 31, 2013, 03:14:26 AM »

Has the bug when playing with ISF been resolved so that they make actual station attack fleets now?

Yes :)

Fishst

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: July 31, 2013, 04:28:01 AM »

Yes :)

huzzah!

My first foray into exerelion was with ISF and not being able to assault extra stations was bugging me :).

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: July 31, 2013, 10:12:57 AM »

@Zaphide:

1.  Thanks so much for allowing me to release my mod of your mod, I'm very excited about it, it's already playing very well.
2.  I wrote up new code that:
A. Gives Factions a ship-list they use internally when determining what to put into their inventories.  Same with weapons; an external file for mod-specific stuff means easier maintenance and potentially mods could be built with an Exerelin-compatible config, so that Exerelin does not need to have any internal references to Factions at all any more (well, provided that the mod authors don't do certain bad things with names).
B. Gives the mod a unique substance to mine (called "Germanium"- it's both a real thing and it's a very old sci-fi reference).
C. Tweaks how the Factions work a bit.  Still working on that one.  Basically, I am trying to get the Station-defense idea working.

3.  Some ideas about how to further enhance the gameplay:
A.  If player level > 10, stock their friendly Stations with Assault Troops, a Resource that, if "sold" to another Faction's station, gives a chance of taking it over.  This isn't necessary past 0.6, where it should be possible to just invade the place with Marines (finally, yes!).
B.  If player level > 30, the Storage Depot should spawn an item called "Strategic Target", that, if placed in another Faction's station, re-targets the strategic AI of your Faction on that location until the player buys it back and moves it somewhere else.  I don't know if 0.6 will obsolete that; it may be possible to write a dialog option that will allow players to cycle through the enemy-held Stations instead.
C.  I think that the player's actions in general needs to influence things economically /strategically more.  For example, if the player's really destroying a lot of the enemy, there should be a much higher chance of friendly invasion fleets coming in to finish the job.
D.  There aren't quite enough signals about why your Faction's not building new fleets or fleets with enough power to tackle the huge enemy fleets that can build up if one of the Factions gains a lot of Stations.  I'm going to look at that and see if I can make it so that if the player delivers Germanium and Fuel to the friendly Stations, they get a big boost in productivity, giving the player something to do besides just kill stuff once they're past the early phase.  Once combat gets heavy, many Factions can't mine and are effectively dead economically, which is a drag if you happen to belong to one of the dead factions.
E.  It'd be nice if the faction names had their first names capitalized in statements.
F.  It'd be nice if, instead of 'Exerelin' the statements used the System name.  Pretty important when we're able to have more than one System.
G.  It'd be nice, in a game where the Factions can't respawn, for there to be an item the player could use to revive his / her Faction, if he/she can stay alive long enough.
H.  The bare-bones version should have the faction files standardized to just have the "exerelin_blah" fleet types, as a clear guide.  That was one of the longer grinds, in terms of getting my mod set up, since I have all of the Factions using unique ships (no more Heg / Pirate being pretty much the same, etc.).

Anyhow, just some preliminary thoughts; getting the mod ported is pretty much feature-complete, so I'm looking for ways to further enhance things so that the five-way wars can be really interesting and the player can help create the outcome if they play it well.

Oh, and ... I've noticed that at Stations, only my Faction's Stations get any ships or weapons delivered.  Is that a feature, and if so, how do I disable it?  It's a real drag having no way to get a lot of things other than capture --> OmniFactory.  I've played tonight and have > $500K in the bank, wiith nothing to spend it on because my Faction got kicked around in early game, and there aren't any capital ships to buy, so I can't quite get my fleet to the point where it can be expected to single-handedly slay all the defending fleets around an enemy base.  Bit of a deadlock atm, until I manage to capture an enemy capital ship.
[EDIT]
Forgot that I fixed that last evening, when I started writing this.  Fixed, got a capship finally, from one of the Trade League runs :)
[/EDIT]
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 10:19:23 AM by xenoargh »
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

sc90

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: July 31, 2013, 12:01:02 PM »

Great mod :D btw is there a way to have everything for free ? im tired of waiting to get enough cash to start actually fighting any faction -_-
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 141