Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 141

Author Topic: [0.6.2a] Exerelin - Dynamic Sector and Faction War - v0.644  (Read 917086 times)

Simone

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.54.1a] Exerelin - Dynamic System and Faction War - v0.55
« Reply #480 on: July 02, 2013, 02:47:42 PM »

Great mod, especially the war aspect!

Some feedback:
The Council steamrolls everything, every time. (8+ games now)
Their shields really needs a nerf.

There is something with the save function in the game that is borked atm.
After a number of saves the game slows down significantly, while saving and loading.
So much, in fact, that the game eventually crashes when i load.
A reboot of the program helps a bit, and a reboot of the computer helps a bit more, but only temporarily.
Is this something that the vanilla game has problems with when there is a lot of factions involved?

I have a 4 core 3.6 Ghz processor and 8 gigs of ram. The game is far from taxing the system to the max.
Java memory leaks?

Ps. i don't have these problems when i play the Corvus mod.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 02, 2013, 03:01:27 PM »

It is a memory leak issue that happens when lots of stuff is loaded at once. It actually happens regardless, apparently, but the effect is exaggerated when large mods and thus more content is in the game.

I seem to be the only person who has not had this experience with the Council, as I play as them and they have been pushed from the system more times than I care to remember.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: July 02, 2013, 03:15:31 PM »

Your issue tracker is currently set to private, so we can't see what issues need to be fixed. :)

If the git dashboard is set up the same as it is for Mercurial projects, you would go to https://bitbucket.org/zaphide/exerelin/admin/issues if you wanted to change this setting.

I have changed the issue tracker and wiki to both be public. I didn't initially as BitBucket doesn't really give you fine-grained controls over access (I wanted public read and private read/write) as I assume they want you to go with Jira/Confluence. So we'll see how it goes like this :)

Some feedback:

After a number of saves the game slows down significantly, while saving and loading.
A reboot of the program helps a bit, and a reboot of the computer helps a bit more, but only temporarily.
Is this something that the vanilla game has problems with when there is a lot of factions involved?

I have a 4 core 3.6 Ghz processor and 8 gigs of ram. The game is far from taxing the system to the max.
Java memory leaks?

The Council faction is not really vanilla balanced; think of them as more as a elite faction. Harder if you play against them, easier if you play with them. I'm not really too concerned about individual faction balance at the moment, as StarSector 0.6 will allow a few extra ways to balance the system without resorting to tweaking individual faction ships. You can remove certain factions if you like (instructions in first post of this thread).

I'm not actually sure what causes the crash on load, but Exerelin saves quite a bit of extra data to the save file, causing it to balloon out. It is normal that you will see increasing load times, as it does actually take a certain amount of time to write/read data from the HDD. I think some people have had more success by turning on save game file compression (there should be some info on it somewhere on the forums).

EDIT: you can also increase the max memory that is allocated to Java (there are a couple of threads in the Bugs section of the forum, and previously in this thread with instructions), which may help :)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 04:36:58 PM by Zaphide »

Simone

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: July 03, 2013, 07:53:30 AM »

Thank you for taking the time helping me Zaphide.

Increasing the memory allocation for java seems to have helped a little bit.
Now i only need to reboot the game every 20 min or so. Somewhat playable.

Still haven figured out how to compress the save file though.
I have tried to search the forums for an answer, but its hard to find the information i need.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: July 03, 2013, 08:41:48 AM »

Go into the starfarer folder
Starfarer core -> data -> config -> settings.json

Open that in Notepad.
http://scr.hu/0zoz/d65a2
The line highlighted by the blue circle, change that to true. Next time you save the game, it'll compress.
Note that this means you can't start doing any savehax on it. No editing yourself a couple million credits or doing transforming ship hulls.

Gabriel_Braun

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 03, 2013, 11:38:55 AM »

Btw, in systemmanager.java the run weekly method contains the line:

if(diplomacyManager.playerRecord.hasWarTagetInSystem(false))

Is that a typo that should be hasWarTargetInSystem to pay the 5000 peacetime wage or is it supposed to be spelled that way as I've been too lazy too look?

Peace bro, awesome mod!

Simone

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 03, 2013, 11:50:37 AM »

Open that in Notepad.
The line highlighted by the blue circle, change that to true. Next time you save the game, it'll compress.
Note that this means you can't start doing any savehax on it. No editing yourself a couple million credits or doing transforming ship hulls.

Thank you for trying to help me.
It didn't make any difference though, sadly.

Gabriel_Braun

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 03, 2013, 12:21:10 PM »

Oh sorry Simone that wasn't in relation to the memory leak issue but rather a general code query   :D

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: July 03, 2013, 01:28:41 PM »

Open that in Notepad.

Thank you for trying to help me.
It didn't make any difference though, sadly.

You can also try lowering the java allowances instead of raising them. That seems to work for a lot of people, including myself. Instead of a 512-1024 min-max allowance, I've set it to 512-512 and it's worked fine since.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 03, 2013, 03:52:08 PM »

Thank you for taking the time helping me Zaphide.

Increasing the memory allocation for java seems to have helped a little bit.
Now i only need to reboot the game every 20 min or so. Somewhat playable.

Still haven figured out how to compress the save file though.
I have tried to search the forums for an answer, but its hard to find the information i need.

20 min...? I wouldn't really call that playable :( Please let me know if Silver Silence's advice helps. I may just change the mod to default to compressed save.

Btw, in systemmanager.java the run weekly method contains the line:

if(diplomacyManager.playerRecord.hasWarTagetInSystem(false))

Is that a typo that should be hasWarTargetInSystem to pay the 5000 peacetime wage or is it supposed to be spelled that way as I've been too lazy too look?

Peace bro, awesome mod!

Haha 'WarTaget'... :P Nice catch, are you going through with a fine toothed comb? :D it wouldn't compile if the method invocation was spelt different to the implementation, but I will fix as it is a bit untidy. Thanks! :)

Tonny

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: July 05, 2013, 04:46:12 PM »

Some feedback:

Java memory leaks?

weird, tho, my laptop can't beat yours, also 8gb of memory, a 64 bit OS. Using the suggestion for using 4gb with java x64. I usually only deal with fps drops when there are many large fleets (respawn: 2 months) or large fights, and i m finally getting some fleet together now, in 210. But i never have to reboot the game, never! Maybe a backgroundprocess? Another suggestion: video/audio drivers uptodate?

Tho, to the developper: awhile ago i met a typo, but unsure if it was only with that fleet, but the reinforcement fleet of the Tri corp was a 'reinfocement fleet'

awesome mod, not easy to play, and i try to be gentle with all corps, but it is hard to stay updated of changed 'relationships'
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 04:49:03 PM by Tonny »

Simone

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 06, 2013, 02:28:28 AM »

weird, tho, my laptop can't beat yours, also 8gb of memory, a 64 bit OS. Using the suggestion for using 4gb with java x64. I usually only deal with fps drops when there are many large fleets (respawn: 2 months) or large fights, and i m finally getting some fleet together now, in 210. But i never have to reboot the game, never! Maybe a backgroundprocess? Another suggestion: video/audio drivers uptodate?

Tho, to the developper: awhile ago i met a typo, but unsure if it was only with that fleet, but the reinforcement fleet of the Tri corp was a 'reinfocement fleet'

awesome mod, not easy to play, and i try to be gentle with all corps, but it is hard to stay updated of changed 'relationships'

I don't actually have any lag issues while playing, the game is choking whiles writing save games to memory and retrieving data (loading save files). (ps. I don't have any problems with my hard drive)
The background is flashing faintly (while saving and loading) and eventually (after several save loads), loading a save file chokes the game completely and crashes.
No idea why  ??? :-[
Ive fiddled around with memory allocation for java as suggested by other nice folks in the thread, that helps a bit.
I can actually play massive battles without slowdowns.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #492 on: July 06, 2013, 04:10:38 AM »

I am most likely going to say something stupid, but have you installed the java version that matches your OS' platform, 32-bit or 64-bit?
E.g. might you be running a 32-bit java version on a 64-bit OS?
Also, and this is even more stupid to ask, have you installed the latest java version?

Tonny

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 06, 2013, 10:13:00 AM »

I am most likely going to say something stupid, but have you installed the java version that matches your OS' platform, 32-bit or 64-bit?
E.g. might you be running a 32-bit java version on a 64-bit OS?
Also, and this is even more stupid to ask, have you installed the latest java version?

Secunia PSI is a free tool to keep an eye on out-of-date software, but also vulnerabilities. its not perfect, but it helps for sure, and......free

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: July 06, 2013, 10:48:21 AM »

It's also just as easy as going here and updating. Driver updates you get from your gfx card's maker. New game? Give it a week or so, check for new drivers for supporting that game. Takes literally 10 minutes.

I'm a consololo player and I know how to do that. And I'd rather avoid having my craptop bloated with programs that are around for one problem that crops up every, what, few months?
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 141