Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 141

Author Topic: [0.6.2a] Exerelin - Dynamic Sector and Faction War - v0.644  (Read 922970 times)

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.54.1] Exerelin - Dynamic System and Faction War - v0.53
« Reply #330 on: June 03, 2013, 09:49:54 AM »

If features have only been added and existing code hasn't been tweaked, it should be fine. New ships and weapons and the like will slowly begin to appear, fleets that have been overhauled stay as they are, but new fleets of the same type will be according to the new listings.

EDIT:
Fugg it...*downloads to try Exerelin out*

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 03, 2013, 10:17:16 AM »

my faction's stations sell other factions weapons and ships, i presume this is not intended? :|

joey4track

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 03, 2013, 10:44:13 AM »

my faction's stations sell other factions weapons and ships, i presume this is not intended? :|

I think it is actually. I think what happens is a trade fleet goes from station to station buying from one and selling to another to give a little variety. If I'm not mistaken..

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Exerelin - Dynamic System and Faction War - v0.52
« Reply #333 on: June 03, 2013, 02:23:22 PM »

Why not let us buy from factions we're allied with?

Also there needs to be a way to check the current alliances so we know who to attack and who's friendly.

I want to promote mainly using your own factions ships, with a few others here and there. I think the best solution is either what I have just added (trader will trade a small number of other factions ships/weapons with your stations) and/or the expensive black market idea for fully fitted out ships.

Yeah a diplomacy display will be the first thing I build when StarSector 0.6 comes out (as it should have support for custom info panels etc. in the game).

Oh snap! Nice thing to wake up to. Do I need to start a new game for this update? Sorry if this has been mentioned before I'm just in the middle of my let's play and don't want to start over if I don't have to(even though I am about to die anyway :P)

Sorry but I think you would have to start a new game. Way too much stuff has changed underneath :)

I think it is actually. I think what happens is a trade fleet goes from station to station buying from one and selling to another to give a little variety. If I'm not mistaken..

Yeah you should see a little variety. The ships/weapons should also come and go from the station, so there should be different things there each time a supply convoy (your stuff), a trader (potentially other factions stuff) or a station resource injection happens (your stuff).

joey4track

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 03, 2013, 02:52:15 PM »

Ok well new game it is.. I know a lot more now than I did for episode one so hopefully I will do much better in the update.

About the diplomatic screen- I always wondered why there isn't a message log screen. Isn't this something that will need to be implemented in vanilla anyway? Many times an important message will come up a split second before I dock into a station and then the message is gone forever. Surely this will addressed in the vanilla game, yeah?

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 03, 2013, 03:04:41 PM »

Ok well new game it is.. I know a lot more now than I did for episode one so hopefully I will do much better in the update.

About the diplomatic screen- I always wondered why there isn't a message log screen. Isn't this something that will need to be implemented in vanilla anyway? Many times an important message will come up a split second before I dock into a station and then the message is gone forever. Surely this will addressed in the vanilla game, yeah?

I suspect so, but if not for StarSector 0.6 I could always build a message log for the Exerelin-specific messages (a System News Feed or some such). I actually usually play windowed (on Mac) with the console window open as Exerelin writes most of it's important events to the log file. I'm not sure if you can play the game with the console open on PC?

joey4track

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 03, 2013, 03:22:08 PM »

Hmm, haven't really messed around with the console. I'm not working with the biggest monitor and usually play in fullscreen but that info is good to know for sure.

joey4track

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 03, 2013, 04:15:48 PM »

Ok, not really sure if anyone had a chance to test the update yet but in my first attempt I seemed to have run into a lot of bugs which ended up in a crash eventually. I did record it but the file I think may be corrupted so I don't know if I can upload it. But let's see...

Some of these may not be bugs but I noticed my first attack station that went out from my first captured station landed on an abandoned station, hovered there for quite sometime but never took it over. There were no enemies in sight and I wondered why it just took off for another station. It did eventually end up taking over the next station it came across.

I know there are supposed to be no borders for the Omnifactory and Storage facilities but there were no borders around any stations regardless of who owned them. There were also no borders around some random fleets as well.

As soon as I got into my first battle immediately when going into the combat mode the entire background was all white and I couldn't even see my weapon arcs, I couldn't tell if my shields were up and you couldn't even see the bullets flying around. My enemy retreated and when it transitioned back into campaign mode the background again was all white and then it crashed. Something similar happened during episode 4 for my last playthrough, you can see it happens at around the 16 minute mark in this video:

That error occured with version 52 but everything else I mentioned was with 53.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 03, 2013, 05:01:57 PM »

I don't know if this was fixed but the Peacemaker assault gun for the Interstellar Federation is missing as a random weapon.

Also will there be the ability to purchase ally ships as if they were your own?

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 03, 2013, 05:04:06 PM »

The attack ship moving on can happen if it's home station reassigns targets, which can happen if distances change between the home station and the station it's fleets are attacking. Perhaps I should add a margin for error so that it doesn't just change its mind when the distance changes slightly.

There have always been no borders for stations. They are only set on load and so update when you save and load a game. If you don't load and Dave every station will have no borders :)

I suspect the fleets that had no borders were the station construction fleets for the omnifactory and the storage station, as they belong to the neutrals who now have a hidden border.

Hmm the crash I think is an out of memory error? Not sure tho...

Thanks for the feedback :)

joey4track

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 03, 2013, 05:12:30 PM »

Ah yes, I figured some weren't bugs and the borderless fleets I remember were neutrals. Hrmm I always noticed stations with borders in every game I have played?? But about the white backgrounds? That was the biggest game breaking bug. I can't fight if I can't see.. :-[  No one else has experienced this? Maybe it is a vanilla issue?

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 03, 2013, 05:41:24 PM »

The attack ship moving on can happen if it's home station reassigns targets, which can happen if distances change between the home station and the station it's fleets are attacking. Perhaps I should add a margin for error so that it doesn't just change its mind when the distance changes slightly.

There have always been no borders for stations. They are only set on load and so update when you save and load a game. If you don't load and Dave every station will have no borders :)

I suspect the fleets that had no borders were the station construction fleets for the omnifactory and the storage station, as they belong to the neutrals who now have a hidden border.

Hmm the crash I think is an out of memory error? Not sure tho...

Thanks for the feedback :)

The game randomly exits without an error log when loading the game, when loading the campaign, or when starting a battle on occasion.  Furthermore when you minimize the game and bring it back up it turns into a black square in the top left of the screen and produces a strobe effect.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 03, 2013, 06:04:43 PM »

Ah yes, I figured some weren't bugs and the borderless fleets I remember were neutrals. Hrmm I always noticed stations with borders in every game I have played?? But about the white backgrounds? That was the biggest game breaking bug. I can't fight if I can't see.. :-[  No one else has experienced this? Maybe it is a vanilla issue?

Yeah it has come up in the past and I think Alex has fixed it for StarSector 0.6 (unless I am thinking of something else...:))

Reshy, I could be wrong but I don't think those issues sound like they could be caused by Exerelin. In fact the no error thing could mean it is an error beyond StarSector itself. It may be worth checking the windows event logs to see if there is something there.

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 03, 2013, 07:47:27 PM »

I've run into the white screen bug a lot; it is a memory error in the vanilla game caused from a build-up of memory over time due to something that has to do with the backgrounds the game eventually fails to load. The more mods (or modded stuff) you have the faster the memory bug seems to build up once you start the game, hence the bug not being discovered until recently when folks started using a whole bunch of modded factions at once. The time it takes for the white screen to show seems to vary by computer, and restarting starsector has proven to reset the time on the white screen'a death. It should be fixed in the next release of starsector, and until then the only real recommendation is to save often, and possibly restart starsector in between video episodes to keep the bug from cropping up during them.

joey4track

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 03, 2013, 08:10:42 PM »

I've run into the white screen bug a lot; it is a memory error in the vanilla game caused from a build-up of memory over time due to something that has to do with the backgrounds the game eventually fails to load. The more mods (or modded stuff) you have the faster the memory bug seems to build up once you start the game, hence the bug not being discovered until recently when folks started using a whole bunch of modded factions at once. The time it takes for the white screen to show seems to vary by computer, and restarting starsector has proven to reset the time on the white screen'a death. It should be fixed in the next release of starsector, and until then the only real recommendation is to save often, and possibly restart starsector in between video episodes to keep the bug from cropping up during them.

Thank you good sir! This is nice to know. On the other hand it is a little unsettling because I just started up SS, only had the new Exerelin mod and lazylib checked and I got the old WSOD at my first battle... not good not good :-[

It has been a couple of days since I restarted my pc so maybe that didn't help. I'll restart and see how far I can get.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 141