Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 141

Author Topic: [0.6.2a] Exerelin - Dynamic Sector and Faction War - v0.644  (Read 922785 times)

valefore

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Exerelin - Dynamic System and Faction War - v0.52
« Reply #285 on: May 27, 2013, 05:15:35 AM »

Downloading Right now.

So coooooooooooool

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 27, 2013, 05:16:15 AM »

download ain't working 0.52

You're too quick :P It should be working now :)

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 27, 2013, 06:13:22 AM »

You're too quick :P
that's second time I read that :-[
-the ABOMINATION - in progress

Rec

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 27, 2013, 06:24:28 AM »

You're too quick :P
that's second time I read that :-[
i hope that at least with "read" is better than "heard"  :D

been playing this mod a bit here and there, and so far have been enjoying the feeling of it so much, feels almost like mount and blade on space.

just a question, is it possible to add a log of some kind? often i lose track with whom im at war with, and f ind the hard way when i accidentally run into one of them giant fleets.

though i think thats somehting that would require to be hardcoded into the original game...

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 27, 2013, 06:27:19 AM »

Perhaps a way to track a key press in campaign view would show text in the bottom left corner? surely that's possible?
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

kupan9

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 28, 2013, 04:42:52 PM »

Perhaps a way to track a key press in campaign view would show text in the bottom left corner? surely that's possible?
It appears that there is a way but it has some restrictions :
Spoiler
The input popup never appears/the console stops working after a while:
  • See if alt-tabbing will get you to an input popup. Sometimes the dialog doesn't get window focus (I haven't been able to track down when or why this occurs), and the console input thread is halted while a popup is present.
--------SNIP--------
Using this mod in fullscreen
The latest version of Starsector (.54.1a) added a new setting allowing undecorated windows. With this, the mod finally has what amounts to fullscreen support. You will have to modify your settings.json, but you will only have to do this once.

To use this mod in fullscreen, open starsector-core/data/config/settings.json and change "undecoratedWindow" to true. Next, untag fullscreen in the game launcher and make sure the game's resolution is set to your native desktop resolution. This should give you a fullscreen borderless window and allow the console popups to function correctly.

Note that you might have vsync issues if you are on Windows and don't have the Aero theme enabled.
And sometimes after using it you click somewhere and it 'passes through' to click on something in the background
[close]

Again, I haven't dug through any code, but if Zaphide wants to take it apart or ask to use some portion of the code directly he can probably do some interesting stuff. On the other hand, it would probably be more reasonable for him to wait until the next version, if it ever comes, and see what changes have been made before working on some huge UI work around that may be pointless if the next version supports it natively.

I have only had enough time to get a couple of months into one game (settings max planets, min asteroid belts, max stations, 3 other races, respawn on two months all) but it seems to be weighted in such a way as you slowly unify the entire universe against you and then get stuck there. I personally declared war against the faction I wanted to start off fighting, then about a week or so in they got an ally and I got a new enemy, a week or two after that and the last race joined in against me. Of the three I only started war against one of them. This could just be a case of random number generation being, well, random. If it isn't then I am sure someone else will speak up with similar concerns.

I like how this mod is progressing. Good work Zaphide, great mod.

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 28, 2013, 05:24:40 PM »

It appears that there is a way but it has some restrictions :
Spoiler
The input popup never appears/the console stops working after a while:
  • See if alt-tabbing will get you to an input popup. Sometimes the dialog doesn't get window focus (I haven't been able to track down when or why this occurs), and the console input thread is halted while a popup is present.
--------SNIP--------
Using this mod in fullscreen
The latest version of Starsector (.54.1a) added a new setting allowing undecorated windows. With this, the mod finally has what amounts to fullscreen support. You will have to modify your settings.json, but you will only have to do this once.

To use this mod in fullscreen, open starsector-core/data/config/settings.json and change "undecoratedWindow" to true. Next, untag fullscreen in the game launcher and make sure the game's resolution is set to your native desktop resolution. This should give you a fullscreen borderless window and allow the console popups to function correctly.

Note that you might have vsync issues if you are on Windows and don't have the Aero theme enabled.
And sometimes after using it you click somewhere and it 'passes through' to click on something in the background
[close]

Again, I haven't dug through any code, but if Zaphide wants to take it apart or ask to use some portion of the code directly he can probably do some interesting stuff. On the other hand, it would probably be more reasonable for him to wait until the next version, if it ever comes, and see what changes have been made before working on some huge UI work around that may be pointless if the next version supports it natively.

Registering keyboard input is actually pretty easy; most of the problems you quoted are due to the console mod using a separate pop-up for input, and wouldn't show up if I had done things normally. ;)

The campaign currently lacks a plugin that gives a list of InputEventAPIs like the combat plugin does, so you'll have to check for keypresses using LWJGL directly. To do this, you will need to import org.lwjgl.input.Keyboard and use if (Keyboard.isKeyDown(int key)), where key would be one of the constants defined here.

To prevent your event from firing every single frame the key is pressed, you'll want to have a variable that is set to true when the key is first pressed and returned to false when that key is not pressed. The event should be ignored as long as this variable is true.

Here's some example code that checks if any one of three keys are down:
Code
import com.fs.starfarer.api.campaign.LocationAPI;
import com.fs.starfarer.api.campaign.SectorAPI;
import com.fs.starfarer.api.campaign.SpawnPointPlugin;
import org.lwjgl.input.Keyboard;

public class CampaignKeyboardInputExamplePlugin implements SpawnPointPlugin
{
    private static final int KEY_POSITION = Keyboard.KEY_J;
    private static final int KEY_ASSAULT = Keyboard.KEY_K;
    private static final int KEY_BOMBARD = Keyboard.KEY_L;
    private static boolean keyDown = false;

private void checkKeys()
    {
        if (!keyDown)
        {
            if (Keyboard.isKeyDown(KEY_POSITION))
            {
                keyDown = true;
                //tryPosition();
            }
            else if (Keyboard.isKeyDown(KEY_ASSAULT))
            {
                keyDown = true;
                //tryAssault();
            }
            else if (Keyboard.isKeyDown(KEY_BOMBARD))
            {
                keyDown = true;
                //tryBombard();
            }
        }
        else
        {
            if (!Keyboard.isKeyDown(KEY_POSITION)
                    && !Keyboard.isKeyDown(KEY_ASSAULT)
                    && !Keyboard.isKeyDown(KEY_BOMBARD))
            {
                keyDown = false;
            }
        }
    }
    @Override
    public void advance(SectorAPI sector, LocationAPI location)
    {
        checkKeys();
    }
}

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 28, 2013, 07:17:15 PM »

Yeah I'll wait for StarSector 0.6 before doing any UI work, as it looks fairly promising! Actually I think 0.6 will be great for Exerelin, it should allow me to tidy up a lot of things!

As to being ganged up on, I suspect it was just (bad) luck. Did you have the most stations? The game I'm testing some stuff with it was 2v2 and then my ally betrayed me, so 2v1v1 and then other 2 allied with me (my previous ally was winning) so 3v1. The diplomacy stuff happens slowly, more of an overall direction rather than immediate results. I suspect in your game you should have some peace treaty's soon!

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 29, 2013, 12:05:29 AM »

Just on judging from the comments, this looks quite fun :D
- Albert Einstein

joey4track

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 29, 2013, 09:05:57 AM »

This mod is fantastic! I am wondering, is it possible to include the trading aspect and fueling from the Fairy Empire mod? If so, then this will be the ultimate mod for Starsector!!

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 29, 2013, 03:19:45 PM »

This mod is fantastic! I am wondering, is it possible to include the trading aspect and fueling from the Fairy Empire mod? If so, then this will be the ultimate mod for Starsector!!

I have been debating the fuel use thing for a bit, as at the moment the player is a drain on their faction by using crew, marines and supplies but not fuel. Adding a small fuel use could be good but I would probably prefer to do it so that it just reduces your travel speed (by half say) if you run out of fuel.

As for trading, I doubt I'll implement anything like that for a while. Too many other ideas :P (and I am waiting to see what StarSector 0.6 brings in terms of modding)

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 29, 2013, 03:22:21 PM »

Hey zaphide, was wondering if you fancied taking part in the new, massive community based project I'm working on?
- Albert Einstein

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 29, 2013, 03:55:59 PM »

Hey zaphide, was wondering if you fancied taking part in the new, massive community based project I'm working on?

If you want to use anything from Exerelin please feel free :) but it is unlikely that I will have any spare time sorry :(

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 29, 2013, 04:31:12 PM »

If you want to use anything from Exerelin please feel free :) but it is unlikely that I will have any spare time sorry :(
Okie dokie! Thanks for the permission though, I'd love to try and incorporate all of your generation scripts, the way options are done etc
- Albert Einstein

joey4track

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 29, 2013, 06:00:38 PM »

Yeah, I kinda feel without trading and fuel etc.. this game is pretty much a combat only game but I guess all that stuff will be in the full vanilla version anyway, I'm just impatient :)

My dream game would be Starsector meets Distant Worlds meets Privateer :D
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 141