Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Star Wars: Revisited (Project: LaserSpam)  (Read 88368 times)

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars MOD Revisited (v3.0)
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 06:50:31 PM »

So I have settled on a temporary size of 1 pixel = 2 meters. So a 1.6 km Star Destroyer is 800 pixels. while thats about 2x the size of the Onslaught, it allows for FAR better placement of the myriad of weapons emplacements. this scale also allows for slightly better detail on the ships. only time this will get rough is when i start hitting ships that will translate into huge sizes.

example: The Executor was 19km. thats 9,500 pixels. um........

for reference, valkyriaL made a 5800 pixel long ship and its totally unplayable. he even mentionned it causes failure to load some data (forgot which one)

you might have to shorten some of your ship a lot :/

ShadowFox

• Lieutenant
  • Deserve Victory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 07:03:40 PM »

yea. most of the ships wont top 2k pixels. im working with Photoshop now to see how sizes compare. might try a 1/3 ratio. will post results of the experiments.

Edit: so i am going to, for the sake of being able to play the mod with the maximum number if ship types, certain size groups will be based off a different scale. what is considered mid-sized combat vessels in star wars will be a 1/2 scale. dreadnaught class ships will use a 1/7.5. this puts the executor at about 2500 pixels. while enormous, i feel that will be manageable...ish. im a ways away from that ship so I wont know until i build it.

smaller vessels will be more varied, some will be matched to the SD scale to look right, others will be slightly off to allow the ships to be recognizable. fighters will of course be way off in scale. But they WILL be tiny.

EDIT: 1(pixels)/1(meters) Scale for combat ships, 4/1 scale for fighters and small craft
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 09:32:28 PM by Nexus »
NEVER assume you know more than your enemy.

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 01:27:32 PM »

Fantastic! I personally wanted to revive this but I have no knowledge of modding or a reliable computer. So thank you for doing so. Question: are you going to remove the starsector factions from the mod? And if you do I asume your going to change the starting ships. What starting ships would we get? Thanks and good luck with the mod.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

dogboy123

• Captain
  • Boron military barracuda
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 01:51:52 PM »

Rejoice, it's back! ;D
"I'm expecting an all-out tactical dogfight... followed by a light dinner.

ShadowFox

• Lieutenant
  • Deserve Victory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 06:24:47 PM »

When the mod is further along, yes the vanilla ships will be removed, making this a total conversion. The mod will be re-released in 3 phases initially, with 2 more following once I get better with Photoshop.

Phase 1: Rebellion Era
    Empire: Victory Mk I SD, Victory Mk II SD, Imperial Mk I SD, Imperial Mk II SD, Carrack-Class Cruiser, Dreadnaught Heavy Cruiser, Lancer Frigate, TIE/LN, TIE Interceptor, TIE Bomber, TIE X1 Advanced, nebulon B

Rebellion: Home One Class Mon Cal Cruiser, Liberty Class Mon Cal Cruiser, Nebulon B Frigate, Blockade Runner, Correlian Corvette, MC80 Mon Cal Cruiser, X-Wing, Y-WIng, B-Wing, A-Wing

Phase 2: New Republic Era
     New Republic will include Phase 1 plus: MC90 Mon Cal Cruiser, Imperial Mk I & II SD, Interdictor Cruiser, Immobilizer 418, MC80A & B, E-Wing, Assault Frigate

Empire will include Phase 1 plus: Executor Class SSD, TIE Defender, Inderdictor Cruiser, Ardent Fast Frigate

Phase 3: Rise of the Empire Era
     Republic: Venator SD, Acclimator Assault Ship I & II, Gunship, Fighter Craft (varied)

CIS: Lucrehulk Battleship, CIS Cruiser, Other Capital Ships, Fighter Craft

This list is not 100% complete, especially for phase 3. Phase 4 will be the New Jedi Order Era, Phase 5 will be the Legacy Era. 4 and 5 are tentative concepts so far. I'm focusing on the 3 time frames that have the most lucrative information, and Phase 1 a larger audience will be familiar with. The map will be revamped for each phase to reflect the area in which it takes place, using planets in place of full systems well known in the Star Wars Galaxy.

Anyone with really good Photoshop and artistic skills, please email or PM me. I have several images for ships i want to use that are not a flat overhead view, and I lack the skill to take a variety of angles and form a solid, 2D top down image from them.

Starting ships will be a choice between the two factions for each phase. the Ship selection script will be re-written so that you choices and answers will give you a proper choice, ie one set of choices will give you rebel ships and the other imperial. Thinking for phase one starting ships will be Blockade Runner, Millennium Falcon, and Nebulon B for rebels, Carrack, Dreadnaught, or Victory mk I for Empire. While the Empire has better starting ships, the cost and crew needs for better ships afterwards will make advancement harder. This is to reflect the more rigid command structure of the Empire. Other thoughts and input on that will be appreciated. debating giving an option for the rebels to start with a modified freighter with a flight of x-wings instead of the Falcon.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 09:44:46 PM by Nexus »

ShadowFox

• Lieutenant
  • Deserve Victory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2013, 08:22:15 PM »

OMGLASORS!!!!

I will release this as a standalone mod, with this as the starting ship for campaign, for anyone who just wants to DOMINATE the galaxy. And no, there is not a shred of balancing with this monster......yet

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 08:26:40 PM by Nexus »

ShadowFox

• Lieutenant
  • Deserve Victory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2013, 01:31:20 AM »

Revamped Home One. After much research I discovered that the size listed in The Star Wars Wiki (wookieepedia) was actually incorrect. The main entry for Home One lists the size between 1.2 and 1.4 km. In truth, based on careful measurements taken from Return of the Jedi, Home One is between 2.5 and 3.8 km. Using my scale of 1 pixel to 1 meter doesn't work in that size for obvious reasons. I scaled Home One to 2400 pixels, using the smallest suggested size for the vessel. Wiki entry places the armaments at 36 turbolasers and 36 ion cannons, my research placed 145 turbolasers mounted in banks of 5, and 36 ion cannons.

I made the choice to use the more detailed scale and weapons, mainly because Home One was supposed to be, as of the Rebellion Era, the largest Rebel Cruiser in the fleet, and more than a match for a Star Destroyer.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 09:34:04 PM by Nexus »

ShadowFox

• Lieutenant
  • Deserve Victory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2013, 01:41:12 AM »

Here is the current list of ships that will be available in the Rebellion Era Mod

Empire:
Imperial Star Destroyer mkI & II, Victory Star Destroyer mkI & II, Lancer Frigate, Strike-class Medium Cruiser, Dreadnaught-class Heavy Cruiser, Vindicator-class Heavy Cruiser, Gat-12 Skipray Blastboat, TIE/ln Fighter, TIE Interceptor, TIE Bomber

Rebel Alliance:
MC80 Liberty Mon Calamari Cruiser, Home One Class MC80 Cruiser, Nebulon-B Frigate, CR90 Corvette (blockade runner), MC30c Frigate, MC40 Cruiser, Assault Frigate (modified Dreadnaught), A-Wing, B-Wing, Y-Wing, X-Wing, Millennium Falcon (as YT-1300)

Screenshots forthcoming.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2013, 03:04:23 PM »

Awesome
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

ShadowFox

• Lieutenant
  • Deserve Victory
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2013, 04:20:05 PM »

Progress update:

Tri-Tachyon replaced with Empire, Pirates with Rebels. Fleets and spawns adjusted accordingly, along with stations and merchandise. Majority of weapon slots built-in so ships ALWAYS perform the way they are designed. Code looks good, going to test and polish tonight. I've got a fridge full of Monster energy, so with any luck, RELEASE TOMORROW!!!!!!

UPDATE 4/27/2013 11:27pm: Descriptions have been added for weapons and ships.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 08:28:24 PM by Nexus »

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2013, 04:23:29 PM »

feel the force tingling
-the ABOMINATION - in progress

ShadowFox

• Lieutenant
  • Deserve Victory
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2013, 08:01:28 AM »

Bump for tractor beams!!!

Lictuel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2013, 11:56:34 AM »

I just downloaded 1.2 and when i try to start it i get an exception:
Fatal:Expected a ',' or ]' at 32718[character 32719 line 1].

Relavant line from the log file:

ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.D  - org.json.JSONException: Expected a ',' or ']' at 32718 [character 32719 line 1]
org.json.JSONException: Expected a ',' or ']' at 32718 [character 32719 line 1]
   at org.json.JSONTokener.syntaxError(JSONTokener.java:423)
   at org.json.JSONArray.<init>(JSONArray.java:143)
   at org.json.JSONTokener.nextValue(JSONTokener.java:356)
   at org.json.JSONObject.<init>(JSONObject.java:210)
   at org.json.JSONObject.<init>(JSONObject.java:311)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils.void(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils.Ö00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.ShipHullSpecLoader.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.ShipHullSpecLoader.Ò00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.SpecStore.Ò00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.H.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.A.A.new(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.D.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$2.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Captain Draco

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2013, 12:28:39 PM »

Same Problem here.

3801 [Thread-9] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.scripts.B  - Loading class: java.lang.Error

4252 [Thread-6] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.D  - org.json.JSONException: Expected a ',' or ']' at 32718 [character 32719 line 1]
org.json.JSONException: Expected a ',' or ']' at 32718 [character 32719 line 1]
   at org.json.JSONTokener.syntaxError(JSONTokener.java:423)
   at org.json.JSONArray.<init>(JSONArray.java:143)
   at org.json.JSONTokener.nextValue(JSONTokener.java:356)
   at org.json.JSONObject.<init>(JSONObject.java:210)
   at org.json.JSONObject.<init>(JSONObject.java:311)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils.void(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils.?00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.ShipHullSpecLoader.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.ShipHullSpecLoader.?00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.SpecStore.?00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.H.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.A.A.new(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.D.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$2.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Hope it will help.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 01:20:37 PM by Captain Draco »

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2013, 12:36:45 PM »

I think its been fixed in the next dev update, So relaaaaaaaaax <3
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11