Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: Star Wars: Revisited (Project: LaserSpam)  (Read 88370 times)

xanderh

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: Revisited (Project: LaserSpam)
« Reply #105 on: July 26, 2013, 10:41:23 PM »

On the subject of Star Wars shields, there are different KINDS of shields. Deflectors (They deflect energy weapons), Ray shields (absorb radiation and energy weapons), and Particle shields (repulse solid objects).

This is a very loose overview and there are a lot of variations of each type. Safe to say that in an SW mod where all ships appear to have the same shields, how they behave shouldn't have much to do with lore.

according to this: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Deflector_shield
there are only two types of shield, both called deflector shields.

Anyway, when I try to play this mod, with only this mod loaded, I crash with this error:
Spoiler
7801 [Thread-6] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.D  - java.lang.RuntimeException: Error compiling [data.scripts.plugins.ExplosionDamageShipEffect]
java.lang.RuntimeException: Error compiling [data.scripts.plugins.ExplosionDamageShipEffect]
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.scripts.ScriptStore$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Parsing compilation unit "com.fs.starfarer.loading.oOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO$1@19b4748"
   at org.codehaus.janino.JavaSourceIClassLoader.findIClass(JavaSourceIClassLoader.java:180)
   at org.codehaus.janino.IClassLoader.loadIClass(IClassLoader.java:158)
   at org.codehaus.janino.JavaSourceClassLoader.generateBytecodes(JavaSourceClassLoader.java:199)
   at org.codehaus.janino.JavaSourceClassLoader.findClass(JavaSourceClassLoader.java:164)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:307)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:248)
   ... 2 more
Caused by: org.codehaus.commons.compiler.CompileException: File data/scripts/plugins/ExplosionDamageShipEffect.java, Line 15, Column 7: Imported class "org.lazywizard.lazylib.CollisionUtils" could not be loaded
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.compileError(UnitCompiler.java:9403)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.import2(UnitCompiler.java:256)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.access$0(UnitCompiler.java:240)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler$1.visitSingleTypeImportDeclaration(UnitCompiler.java:230)
   at org.codehaus.janino.Java$CompilationUnit$SingleTypeImportDeclaration.accept(Java.java:170)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.<init>(UnitCompiler.java:228)
   at org.codehaus.janino.JavaSourceIClassLoader.findIClass(JavaSourceIClassLoader.java:154)
   ... 7 more
[close]

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2013, 11:19:50 PM »

I see a mention of lazylib in there, do you have LazyLib?

ShadowFox

• Lieutenant
  • Deserve Victory
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 27, 2013, 07:26:22 AM »

LazyLib is a MUST for this mod to run correctly. I believe i put that in large text in the OP lol. New version will be released shortly. Mostly balancing and graphical tweaks. Version 2.5 will NOT be compatible with previous version saves. Progress is a little slow, number crunching stats and DPS and such. Starting Ships will be modified since most of them are currently useless against any the fleets i have spawning right now. Working on finalizing many new ships to replace the hegemony.

I HAVE NOT ABANDONED THEE, MY FAITHFUL FANS HAHAHAHA
NEVER assume you know more than your enemy.

xanderh

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 27, 2013, 03:01:25 PM »

ah, so that's why. No, I don't have it. I'll download right away.

jupjupy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 30, 2013, 10:55:06 AM »

I think that, considering the limitations of the engine, some stuff could be changed to make it a little less... wonky. It feels a little unpolished as of now, and I'll explain what I feel needs to be looked at.

- Ship Speeds

Some ships are seriously too fast. Nebulon-B Frigates cant fly at twice the speed of a Venator, even though the Venator is many times its size. Capital ships in general are too fast and manoeuvrable, like the Liberty-Class. That thing turns on practically a dime, even without the player skills.

- Shields

One thing I've noticed is that, in comparison to the player (and lore), the AI will continuously turn its shields on and off, and since weapons don't generate much flux at all, this pretty much prevents overloading (or in this case, shield failure). It's a little annoying thing that I can't really take, because the flux dissipation on the ships is pretty insane. Perhaps set the shields to have a cooldown after turned off, like how they're overloaded. Make this cooldown shorter to incentivise people to actually turn their shields off instead of pushing them to the limit. Perhaps lengthen the shield overload time, since 6 seconds on a Cruiser is pretty short.

- Weapons

Not too much problem here, other than the fact that the weapons don't really feel balanced. Heavy turbolaser batteries are dealing as much damage as light turbolasers, and with the scale of current ships, it doesnt really matter how inaccurate those light lasers are. Torpedoes/Missiles are pretty lackluster right now, they lack punch and ammunition (something which isnt really a problem in the movies or games), and they could really use a buff.

- Ship Systems

Not too much to say here, they're pretty well coded and done.

- Fleet Points

I'm not sure if this can even be modded, but the battle fleet points dont really fit the scale of engagements. I want 4 Mon Calamari Cruisers flying through a well-positioned line of Star Destroyers, but I cant have that because the fleet points only allow me to deploy 1 or 2. That, or reducing the fleet point cost of individual ships would be awesome.

- Ship Scale

Yeah, as you said, some of those ships are really too big. I think you could reduce the size of all the ships in general, to make it feel a little more like massive space battles compared to one gigantic ship covering 3/4ths of the screen. This, combined with the change in fleet points, could really make it feel like Star Wars.

- Customizability

As it stands, with the current laserspam, it's really fun to watch, but not so fun to play. I think it would give a feel of customizability if SOME of those weapon points (like the 8 turrets on the Venator) could be interchanged. Maybe I don't want Heavy Turbolasers, so I could strap on Heavy Ion Cannons, or a Large Tractor Beam, or something of the sort. Maybe remove some weapons, especially on the smaller ships, so they feel SCALED. You've got Cruisers being taken out by frigates here, something which shouldnt really happen at all.

- Other Stuff

You've already got the shield overloading down, so why not permanently disable weapons and engines if they're too damaged (by anything other than EMP, maybe when hit with like torpedoes or something), or add smoke to damaged areas, etc.?

Overall, I enjoy playing this mod, especially watching all those lasers go PEWPEPWEWPEW, but I think it could do with some improvements.

Hope you'll read 'em!
You see, Araragi-san, in a way, the supernatural is what's behind the curtain.
Normally, you only need to see what's happening on stage. That's how reality works.

ShadowFox

• Lieutenant
  • Deserve Victory
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 30, 2013, 12:28:56 PM »

Excellent feedback. Several of those issues are being addressed right now. A lot of balancing and re-working of stats are coming in v2.5. Ship sizes have been reduced by around 25%

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 30, 2013, 01:45:40 PM »

Improved turrets, perhaps? Most turrets are simply black boxes with two nibs poking from them. There's no way to tell the difference between ion cannons, rebel turbolasers, imperial turbolasers, super duper imperial turbolasers or the lower powered turbolasers. I think the Venator is the only one with differing turrets, instead having those monstrous long-range batteries on it's sides.

ShadowFox

• Lieutenant
  • Deserve Victory
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 30, 2013, 01:54:55 PM »

almost all the weapons were cloned from 2-3 original ones. thats a WIP

ShadowFox

• Lieutenant
  • Deserve Victory
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 06, 2013, 09:01:02 AM »

version 2.2 is up. THIS IS A WIP VERSION. new release is NOT compatible with old saves. There may be bugs. Please PM any issues you have, or find me on skype, nexusvamp

Ravendarke

• Captain
  • Nemesis
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 06, 2013, 11:13:49 AM »

About shields, there is something made by LazyWizard called star wars shield, it works in more proper way for SW purposes, coz when ship reach maximum flux it wont get overloaded, it will just disable shields for few moments.

ShadowFox

• Lieutenant
  • Deserve Victory
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 06, 2013, 11:54:25 AM »

About shields, there is something made by LazyWizard called star wars shield, it works in more proper way for SW purposes, coz when ship reach maximum flux it wont get overloaded, it will just disable shields for few moments.
LMAO he made that FOR this mod, and that is currently active since version 1.6

Ravendarke

• Captain
  • Nemesis
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 06, 2013, 12:01:18 PM »

Ah sorry, my suggestion was based on jupjupyĀ“s feedback, I should it read more carefuly, my bad.

ShadowFox

• Lieutenant
  • Deserve Victory
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 06, 2013, 12:10:48 PM »

items addressed in v2.2:

-Ship Scale

-Combat Balancing

-Faction Fleet Size

-Starting Ships

Coming in 2.5:

-Starting Skills

-Hegemony removed and replaced with SW ships

-Customization of weapon layouts on certain ships
       **Some weapons will NOT be interchangeable

-Custom Planet Graphics

-More ship systems

-Customized Corvus Layout based on SW Universe

-Re-worked Hull Mods

-Custom Portraits

-Custom Skill Descriptions (possibly custom skills as well)

-Weapons and ships properly delivered to appropriate stations

-more stations!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 12:13:48 PM by Nexus »

ShadowFox

• Lieutenant
  • Deserve Victory
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 06, 2013, 12:17:59 PM »

BTW I can always be found on Skype, user name is nexusvmp

BruceJohnJennerLawso

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2014, 09:28:12 PM »

Sorry about the bumping this thread,

I've been browsing the internet trying to find good Star Wars Sprites for use in developing some non-commercial games in C++ and SFML. Im not much of an artist myself, so some help is definitely needed. Would it be possible for me to use the sprites created for this mod in a project of my own?

My projects on Github can be found at

https://github.com/BruceJohnJennerLawso

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11