Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Fleet Encounter Mechanics, Part 2  (Read 56123 times)

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
Re: Fleet Encounter Mechanics, Part 2
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2013, 10:52:47 AM »

Just try not to think of it as micro? It's just something to be mindful of. Not something you really manage directly.
Okay*snuffles* I'll....I'll try.... :)
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

JT

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2013, 04:52:27 AM »

To be honest I don't see how it couldn't be modded out. Give all ships a very high base CR, deplete CR at an extremely slow rate, and replenish CR at an extremely fast rate, and you have 100% CR all the time.

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2013, 12:20:43 AM »

there still needs to be a way to target a ship for boarding. If i really want condor for example, i should be able to designate it somehow during the battle as a target for boarding which would lead to ships not shooting it. Perhaps some sort of specialized weapon that makes a ship vulnerable to boarding post-battle once used. This would require investment and hamper the fleet's pure combat capability in return for targetted boarding ability.
(think: engine webbing torpedos, torpedos that cause a ship to be unable to escape without allowing a boarding attempt first. Must be fired into the engines, one shot per medium hardpoint.)

Boarding feels like a wasted mechanic if its not something i can plan for, if its not something i can utilize as a tool. Simply leaving which ship i get the opportunity to board completely random means that boarding is relegated to a random treat i might get once in awhile.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 12:22:56 AM by Mattk50 »

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2013, 12:28:50 AM »

Agreed, like I wouldn't want to board a fighter without a carrier? Or a frigate when I'm all cruisers, etc
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2013, 04:40:00 AM »

I'd prefer that over pure chance, too. It is under consideration, so there's hope:

I would like to see boardable ships have a battle element. Like say you must induce a flamout and disable a ship without destroying it and then it will be boardable. Or maybe you need special weapons like ion lasers which are extremely weak against shields and armor. I have a feeling this has been discussed but making boarding chances tied to the player sounds more fun.
Hmm. It was discussed before, but the reason I didn't like it is it'd make boarding too strong. However, if boarding is still an expensive, not-automatically-good choice, then that's something worth considering again.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2013, 12:59:41 PM »

Simply leaving which ship i get the opportunity to board completely random means that boarding is relegated to a random treat i might get once in awhile.
I did think that was kind of the point.

Though if there are ships that are only available through capture that would not make sense. What exactly SHOULD the role of boarding be? Random fun treat? It kind of sounds like boarding as strategy was something that Alex wanted open. Maybe this should be a new thread?
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 27, 2013, 02:25:27 PM »

implement boarding from sword of the stars please

Spoiler
zuul master race
[close]
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]