Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Pre-order now, get it on steam later free?  (Read 20502 times)

Virosa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Pre-order now, get it on steam later free?
« on: March 31, 2013, 02:24:06 PM »

I understand the game wont be available on steam until its ready, but i like having my games on steam for easier management, therefore, since it has done before;

If i'd get a steam key to add the game to my steam account for free if i buy it now, if such promise is made, i would buy now and i think i'm not the only one~

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-order now, get it on steam later free?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 02:31:02 PM »

Since steam is not a guarantee, id say no
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

FloW

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 02:37:35 PM »

So a promise is all that is needed?

Alex stated that he does not want Starsector to be on Steam for now. If it will be, at some point in the future, is a different question. But I think it will happen, and I don't think that he will make people buy the game twice.

"The point is, you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might just as well give in and save your sanity for later.''
- Ford Prefect, creator of the giraffe; a very long time ago

Virosa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 02:43:49 PM »

Yeah, just a promise. I just have too many games, so i only buy indie games when they come out on steam. I have bought few other such game lately and i regret it, it is a pain to manage; every time you need to reinstall, you gotta find your old email for the cd key, request a password change cuz i forgot the password to my account on that website, redownload the installer, etc.

When bought on steam you just right click the game in your library and click install, GG.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 02:46:38 PM »

I understand the game wont be available on steam until its ready, but i like having my games on steam for easier management, therefore, since it has done before;

If i'd get a steam key to add the game to my steam account for free if i buy it now, if such promise is made, i would buy now and i think i'm not the only one~

Hi! I get this question quite a bit, though it's usually over email. My answer is always this: I'd like for people that preordered directly to get a free Steam key for the game, and, assuming the game does make it on Steam, I'll do what I can to make that happen. But, I can't actually make any promises regarding Steam, because there are many aspects that are not under my control.

Virosa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 03:32:12 PM »

Ok, well thanks for the reply. It sound like "IF it make it on Steam then MAYBE i will be able to give direct buyers a free key". I can trust goodwill in "you" doing what you can to make it on steam, at which point it sound reasonable, but the "IF then: MAYBE i can get such people a key" not as much.

At any rate, i have no idea what kind of procedure is necessary to get it done and what is possible or not, nor do i know why "you" have decided to not opt for Early Steam Access or maybe even Greenlight, but i want to say that i'm one of those that will give their little contribution to this project when and if it happens. ;)

FloW

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 04:28:04 PM »

The current installer is around 70MB big.
Of course nobody knows how big the final game will be, but you can save the installer and write the key in a textfile. Then put both files in a folder.

This also allows you to install the game, even if you do not have a working internet connection (something steam is not capable of).
"The point is, you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might just as well give in and save your sanity for later.''
- Ford Prefect, creator of the giraffe; a very long time ago

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 04:41:35 PM »

How is that possible......
- Albert Einstein

Virosa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 04:45:57 PM »

How is that possible......

What?

This also allows you to install the game, even if you do not have a working internet connection (something steam is not capable of).

That is irrelevant to me, internet is always accessible to me through various options. And Keeping backup on internal or external source is one of the things that i what to avoid.

I am not looking for alternates solutions, but thanks for your time. I am patient, i will just wait and if it come on Steam i'll pay, if not, i wont.

On a side note, trying to point out what Steam cannot do is kind of jading. You need to have an internet connection, at one point, to download the game, whether on Steam on not, after which point you don't need an internet connection in either case. And in the even that you want to re-install through a backup, you CAN do it offline with steam.

bbf

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 04:53:05 PM »

I have 3 things to say.

1) This game completely got me by surprise. I didn't know that a game like this was being developed, and ...
2) if it weren't for the fact that it was posted on a pirate tracker, I would never gotten here. (let the paranoia begin)
3) The fact that I got here is great, because I can now support you guys, by preordering right now.

But I too you prefer to buy it somehow through Steam. I bought for example Gratuitous Space Battles through BMTMicro, before it was on Steam. But when it got released on Steam, I didn't get a key to activate it. The fact that to update I had to manually download the installer, was something very annoying. I might be still enjoying the game it if I had received a Steam key to avoid that. But since I didn't, I was excluded even from the choice of buying their DLCs.

I'm right now buying Starsector through BMT, but I really do hope that the devs try their best to give us a key on Steam, like many other devs did, and do not alienate us on the future.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 05:08:34 PM »

Not needing the Internet to verify the key
- Albert Einstein

Virosa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 05:24:08 PM »

Not needing the Internet to verify the key

I'm not aware of the DRM that are or not on this game, but internet verification, if it was even the case is a waste of time to implement, but lets not talk about DRM ok? Unless i interpreted Alex's post wrong, this thread should be closed.

If there's more to discuss about this suggestion, thats all good, but DRM is off topic.

Talkie Toaster

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 02:25:11 AM »

There's recent precedent for having keys bought for stand-alone alphas carry over to the steam version (see Starforge) but of course that's no guarantee they'll do it for every game :shrug:.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 05:11:25 AM »

Well, As it stands now, If this game were ever to go on steam, all people who have already paid for the game would still have a key correct? rather than needing to re purchase again?
- Albert Einstein

Virosa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 05:43:11 AM »

Well, As it stands now, If this game were ever to go on steam, all people who have already paid for the game would still have a key correct? rather than needing to re purchase again?

It would need to be a steam key to be added to your account, which isn't the case if you buy it directly here.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4