Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Fleet Encounter Mechanics, Part 1  (Read 44784 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Fleet Encounter Mechanics, Part 1
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2013, 03:48:38 PM »

Conceptually, objectives are no longer present on the battlefield to begin with, but are deployed by your ships at suitable locations. (The objective sprites are not to scale.)

Since I could not find an explanation for this in the blogpost as I had hoped I now have to ask: Why this change, what's the benefit/necessity? What marks a "suitable location"? If my ships deploy the objective, why can't they so so freely (probably a lore question)?

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2013, 04:32:13 PM »

Looking forward to the next blogpost, there's more completely new info in that one it seems.

Right. The patch notes and the blog posts have some serious overlap at times :)

Since I could not find an explanation for this in the blogpost as I had hoped I now have to ask: Why this change, what's the benefit/necessity? What marks a "suitable location"? If my ships deploy the objective, why can't they so so freely (probably a lore question)?

It's just a lore change, there are no mechanics changes due to that particular item. Visually, the objectives start out mostly transparent and fade in when "deployed".

As to the lore reasoning, having that many objectives all over the place in what ought to be empty space never sat particularly well with me. I mean, you could handwave that away, but there's somewhat less waving of hands involved the new way of looking at it :)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2013, 05:35:06 PM »

It's just a lore change, there are no mechanics changes due to that particular item. Visually, the objectives start out mostly transparent and fade in when "deployed".

As to the lore reasoning, having that many objectives all over the place in what ought to be empty space never sat particularly well with me. I mean, you could handwave that away, but there's somewhat less waving of hands involved the new way of looking at it :)

Aaaa, just for lore, that makes more  sense. I think it's considerable less handwaving, it's obvious that stationary sensors and communication devices have to be at the focal points of p-space superposition to enable time-negative data amalgamation. Apple pie.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2013, 02:13:15 AM »

everything about this blog post makes me smile, even the parts that are just speculation as of now, IE Reputation, i so badly want to be a white knight of justice that makes pirates scatter by just hearing my name, or a Blackbeard-esque pirate that even hardened soldiers fear facing in combat.

Also please don't replace harry, it is proper and it makes sense. And it sounds intelligent, i'm so sick of games being dumbed down for a slightly stupider populace and besides if someone REALLY wants to look it up, their already on their computer and likely have a smartphone sitting next to them. I know that some people do not speak English, but shouldn't their games NOT be in English? For their translations swap it for an appropriate word, i wouldn't expect to see harry pop up in say a Russian version of Starsector.
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2013, 10:41:24 PM »

Now that it takes combat readiness and supplies to deploy ships, we would now need to include utility ships to carry the abundance of supplies needed to engage in combat for prolonged periods away from stations. Would we be able to split the fleet, and leave the utility ships at a certain point while the faster ships pursue our targets? Most of those cargo freighters tend to be very slow in comparison to combat ships and would drag the whole party down.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2013, 08:53:22 PM »

What will the enemy AI's ships behave like when retreating? Will all of the AI's ships go racing for the exit, or will a few of the more powerful ships attempt to protect the less combat capable ships? Will it vary?

L33tGuilty

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2013, 09:39:05 AM »

Reading all these new mechanics that are being set in make me think about moral.

Did you think of putting that also in? Maybe even giving few points under "command" tree ??

sry if somsone els allready asked this question.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2013, 09:44:31 AM »

Moral could be a very interesting new feature, some kind of stat that get modified in battle by the events, like a ship destruction.

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2013, 11:28:38 AM »

Moral could be a very interesting new feature, some kind of stat that get modified in battle by the events, like a ship destruction.

Considering crew quality factors into combat readiness, I think it's entirely possible that morale is simply abstracted into it as well.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2013, 11:38:32 AM »

Now that it takes combat readiness and supplies to deploy ships, we would now need to include utility ships to carry the abundance of supplies needed to engage in combat for prolonged periods away from stations. Would we be able to split the fleet, and leave the utility ships at a certain point while the faster ships pursue our targets? Most of those cargo freighters tend to be very slow in comparison to combat ships and would drag the whole party down.

Haven't decided, need to see how the larger campaign plays out first. It's a possibility, but at the same time, fleet splitting has the potential to be really annoying if one has to do it. You'd have to split up supplies/crew/fuel/cargo, give some orders to the other fleet, etc. Could get pretty messy.

What will the enemy AI's ships behave like when retreating? Will all of the AI's ships go racing for the exit, or will a few of the more powerful ships attempt to protect the less combat capable ships? Will it vary?

Working on that now, actually. They definitely won't just all go racing for the exit, unless that makes sense (i.e. it's just a pair of Hounds, and there's no reason to stick around). In which case you, the player, should probably have picked "harry" rather than "pursue".

Considering crew quality factors into combat readiness, I think it's entirely possible that morale is simply abstracted into it as well.

Right, yes. Morale as a separate mechanic seems like it would be a bit much.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]