Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: the modding community congratulation thread !  (Read 5415 times)

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
the modding community congratulation thread !
« on: March 29, 2013, 12:36:41 PM »

[DISCLAIMER : PLEASE READ]
As a newbie modder, i have entered starsectors modding community and discovered a wonderful world but also saw that people, for the amazing work they do, dont get enough justice for the quality of theire work, and as such, instead of spamming everywhere to give them a big fat high-five, i thought of this thread.
Second part will be oscar parody where i point out my favorite details among various mods. Dont forget its entirely based on my limited experience of all the wonderful thing starsector's modders have to offer and as such, some form of bias will show. (its only my personal opinion after all)

But first and foremost, as some were worried i might offend people with this thread, i will clarify the following :
From small (relatively speaking) but incredibly useful mods such as Restock (by Thaago) and Omnifactory (by LazyWizard) to huge total conversions such as Caelus (by Upgradecap's huge team) and Ironclad (by Okim), with all the fabulous faction mods in-between like cycerin's blackrock drive yard, flashfrozen's neutrino corps and many more i dont have the place to mention here,
Starsector's modding community is incredibly talented and varried !

-----And now for Phyrex's modding oscars !-----
Please keep in mind this is only my own opinion voiced as a parody, i thought it'd be more convenient and less spammy than to tour every single thread and constantly repeat the same thing and, altho im congratulating the publishers of the mods, lets not forget those who directly or indirectly helped the creation process such as pelhamds, lazywizard, trylobot, endernerdcore, sprogginator and many more i cant, for god sake, remember right now

First category : ship design !
#1 : In first position, with its highly detailed, menacing shape and grim color scheme, is Cycerin's Blackrock Drive Yard ! There is a lot to say about Blackrock ships and designs such as the Desdinova destroyer, Nevermore cruiser and Kurmaraja Battlecruiser examplify everything that make these designs awesome !

#2 : In second position, but only by a margin so small it could have been an ex-equo, is Flashfrozen's Neutrino Corps ! With its varied and oftentime wild design, Ships like the Unsung battlecruiser, the TheEnd phase frigate or the Nirvash cruiser bring a decisive light to the mind behind these designs.

#3 : In third position, thanks to his out-of-this-world, yet very original design is MShadowy Shadowyard Heavy Industries ! Showing off almost organic, asymetric designs like the Cahrybdis cruiser or the Enlil frigate

#4 : In fourth position, thanks to highly detailed designs and also an undeniable nostalgic factor is Thule's Thule's legacy mod. With his flying saucer shaped ship, rendered with incredible detail, im still wondering myself why im not putting it ex-equo with Shadowyard Heavy Industries. In fact, scratch that ! in third position, ex-equo with MShadowy is Thule's Legacy !

#5 : In Fifth In fourth and last position for this countdown is Erick Doe's antediluvian, bringing to us slim, brightly colored eye-catching designs !

Dont forget ! this is only based on my own experience, there are Many more mods out there that command just as much prestige as those

Second category : Weapon graphical design !
#1 : In first position once again, with an intricate animation is Cycerin's solenoid quench cannon ! you have to see it in action ;)

#2 : In second place with a slow, unwieldy but highly detailed and incredibly satisfying to use weapon is Thule's meteor ! What else can be said about launching a damn meteor at someone ?!

#3 : In third position, with its trademark design is MShadowy CEPC line of guns, with its design that almost seem to sprout outward from the ship using it !

Reminder ! We all have different fighting style, and there are so many cool weapon out there  ;)

Third category : Sound effect !
#1 : In first position is Keptin's hadron collider charging up sound ! Thanks to a ramping up, bone-chilling sound that foreshadows the destruction ahead, its hard to not be amazed !

#2 : In second position, with a sound effect only matched by the animation of the weapon that uses it is Cycerin's solenoid quench cannon (yeah theres a pattern ;) ), With its snappy effect and metallic reverberation after-effect, its hard to not use the weapon just for the sake of hearing it fire

It never stops ! great sound effect are key to a good experience, and every single mod ace that domain !

And for the final words !
I have no clue how people will react to this but i will repeat myself just in case. Starsector's modding community is MINDBLOWING, and as a modder myself, i feel like they all deserve a big fat high-five for the fantastic work they have done !
I wouldnt have enough of ten threads to fully do justice to everyone like i feel they deserve, so i thought of this thread and the oscar part as a joke to voice my personal favorites.
Congratulating everyone name-by-name would mean basicly writing here the moniker of almost every person on this forum as even solo modders like me have more than dozens of direct and indirect helpers behind them.

And as such, in the end, theres not enough word to thanks everyone so i will have to make it snappy

THANKS TO EVERYONE FROM STARSECTOR !!
You guys are fantastic and as an apprentice modder, i felt like you guys deserved the biggest, fattest, longest, most awesome high-five i am able to lay down in words here !
keep going !

edit : mods, i needed to get this out of my system, but if thats too controversial, i dont mind, just delete it
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 01:07:19 PM by phyrex »

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
Re: the modding community congratulation thread !
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 06:07:44 PM »

I think you should expand your experience before putting out a Oscars/awards/i like this etc list, as you said yourself you have little experience, otherwise, i agree on most of these, but not all. BRDY raises the standard a lot in terms of graphics and scripts/systems, but all of our mods are very good looking and adds wonderful weapons and systems.

overall, nothing to complain about.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 09:55:19 PM »

I think you should expand your experience before putting out a Oscars/awards/i like this etc list, as you said yourself you have little experience, otherwise, i agree on most of these, but not all. BRDY raises the standard a lot in terms of graphics and scripts/systems, but all of our mods are very good looking and adds wonderful weapons and systems.

overall, nothing to complain about.

damn it ! if thats what you got of this post, then i failed in my endeavor  >:(

ill clarify here based on your four points
#1 : first off, yes, i admitted i dont have much experience, but that dosent stop me from being incredibly amazed and mindblown by the things everyone here is capable of.
#2 : I was sure it was clear enough the oscar joke was just that : a joke made on personal opinion. Like i said, going in the thread of cycerin, thule, flashfrozen, keptin, erick, trylobot and everyone else to repeat most of the time something akin to "your stuff is awesome, keep going" would have bordered spamming.
#3 : Again, i have an obvious bias for Cycerin's work, but im pretty sure i wrote many clear disclaimer that everyone's else work wasent any less impressive
#4 : last but not least. Ive seemingly and utterly failed to convey the following thought : every single damn modder on the starsector forum and beyond has done amazing thing for this game and/or helped a lot toward the creation of many mods.

i thought i had made those points bluntly obvious, but i seem to have failed in this endeavor :(

im sad, i just wanted to (comically) express my feelings toward this community

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 01:32:28 AM »

I thought you did a good "job". Thank you very much for sharing that sentiment! This makes me very happy.

So, Smile! Dammit!

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 01:36:14 AM »

well i like a positive thread now and then x).
i myself was thinking of a oscar like thread before but never actually found the time and motivation to make it.
maybe i will someday make one with polls ,votes and such.
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 06:14:30 AM »

I didn't mean anything negative, like hyph said, you did a good job, and i can't do anything but agree on that.

seems my first post was a little failed, i liked the list, its fun to see that you love our modding community, i also love it..u..im just making things worse am i?  :'(

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 06:15:56 AM »

I didn't mean anything negative, like hyph said, you did a good job, and i can't do anything but agree on that.

seems my first post was a little failed, i liked the list, its fun to see that you love our modding community, i also love it..u..im just making things worse am i?  :'(
No boyo! (But shut up while your ahead ;) )

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 06:52:03 AM »

I thought you did a good "job". Thank you very much for sharing that sentiment! This makes me very happy.

So, Smile! Dammit!

your tenzen cruiser has a little place in my heart too :P
i was pleasently surprised when i captured one and it has been my flagship ever since (at least in the game where i caught it)

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 11:04:46 AM »

Awh! Thanks a bunch.

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 11:34:29 AM »

Awh! Thanks a bunch.

what i love most with mods is mixing everything together.

some ships are nice by themselves, but really become monsters when used with weapons from other mods.

the tenzen is a good example, decked with MShadowy CEPC line of gun and autopulse, it solves the flux weakness of the ship without losing on power :P
im just sad MShadowy hasent done a CEPC gun for large slot :P

Vinya

• Captain
  • Vulgar at best...
    • View Profile
    • Mykyria Scifi/Zombie writing blog (Old site)
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 12:41:13 PM »

Since this is a thread, I'm assuming I can pitch in my own 'grats.

All I can say is that IntFed has been my go-to mod when I need to remind myself why I put work into Mods, mainly because of the battleship/battlestar-like feel all the ships have. There's nothing like lining up a Titan with Hadrons and Mass Drivers and just pounding an enemy ship to pieces. (Mass Driver has got to be my favorite weapon- It's so simple and powerful, I just can't get enough of it.)

On a side note, Neutrino Corp. has my favorite ship designs so far aside from whoever makes an Anromeda mod in the future. They're so wonderfully anime-like, but with enough forethought that they go perfectly with the Starsector art style.

Yay! Bias!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 01:07:07 PM by Vinya »
If by "good guys" you mean "elitist regime that suppresses colonial independence and thrives off of an overwhelmingly deep gap in wealth between social classes," then yes.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 12:43:06 PM »

-snip-There's nothing like lining up a Titan with Hardons-snip-
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Teh_Wolf

• Commander
  • The whole ship just died
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 12:55:14 PM »

I didn't win anything,  conclusion - this competition is rigged.
PHRASE OF THE WEEK
Quote from: Miggles
no

Vinya

• Captain
  • Vulgar at best...
    • View Profile
    • Mykyria Scifi/Zombie writing blog (Old site)
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 01:07:54 PM »

-snip-There's nothing like lining up a Titan with Hardons-snip-

Fixed it, happy? Dat typo.

If I hadn't changed it it would've worked too. THAT SOUND, LIKE COME ON.

Also that shall be my new sig. Too perfect.
If by "good guys" you mean "elitist regime that suppresses colonial independence and thrives off of an overwhelmingly deep gap in wealth between social classes," then yes.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 01:23:04 PM »

Darn it it was gonna be my sig
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)
Pages: [1] 2