Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fighter Tactics skill  (Read 1416 times)

JT

• Commander
    • View Profile
Fighter Tactics skill
« on: March 27, 2013, 02:28:53 PM »

The Fighter Tactics skill under the Leadership attribute provides you a straight benefit in Command Points solely for use in commanding fighters. In combination with CIC Officers (who normally possess this skill), your fighter command points would simply appear beneath your main command points display as a smaller "surtitle". Whenever you command a fighter wing instead of a larger ship, you draw from the pool of fighter Command Points first, leaving your command points for larger strategic initiatives.

I would recommend Fighter Tactics having a measurable benefit in command points, likely +3 Command Points per level for fighters only. At maximum level, if you wanted to be that crazy, you could have a whopping 30 Command Points to allow you to micromanage your fighters to your heart's content. Or, if you didn't care at all about it or don't want to micromanage your fighters, you could simply ignore the skill and let your fighters do their own thing as always.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Fighter Tactics skill
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 04:00:18 PM »

Hm... Is this intended to make it easier to order things like strike runs of bombers?

If so, I'd think the better way to go would be to find a design that didn't cost quite so many command points to make effective strike runs in the first place - sadly, I don't have any really good ideas for how to manage that.  Maybe if you could set a "rally strike group" tag on one of your ships, and the strike group would automatically make an attack run once every ship you'd put in it was present at the rally point?
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Fighter Tactics skill
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 04:07:32 PM »

Yeah, I believe a dynamic order for fighters/bombers would be the better solution here.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.