Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: a little question just like that about simulation  (Read 5975 times)

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
a little question just like that about simulation
« on: March 21, 2013, 12:51:36 PM »

yeah so...i was wondering why in simulation, theres mostly only hegemony ship (with some exception like the medusa and the aurora)

i dont get why there isint all the vanilla ship ? after all in some mods, they are available during sims.

so why the hell not with vanilla campaign/missions ?

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
Re: a little question just like that about simulation
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 12:55:09 PM »

Well for one thing, they may not be balanced whatsoever ever. Other times its a case of "No plan survives contact with implentimentation."
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 01:06:06 PM »

It's a work in progress, I was thinking of maybe at some point basing the ships available in the simulation on what you've actually fought against/had the blueprints to/something else along those lines. Haven't decided, though, and so this feature remains unfinalized.

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 01:27:27 PM »

maybe a little "crash dummy" in the simulation mode wits & without shield non firing at the player just sitting there doing nothing gaining hits so player can compare his custom variants
-the ABOMINATION - in progress

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 02:20:08 PM »

i didint get a single word of all that. you're coming out with talk of balance, implementation of ship fought in the past and stuff.

i just wanted to know why there's not more ship available for simulation, even its if just stock variants. O_o

like i played a mission by Mrdavidoff. while in simulation, for opponent you could choose between every vanilla ship in the game. How is that not standard in starsector to begin with ?

Icelom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 04:40:37 PM »

i didint get a single word of all that. you're coming out with talk of balance, implementation of ship fought in the past and stuff.

i just wanted to know why there's not more ship available for simulation, even its if just stock variants. O_o

like i played a mission by Mrdavidoff. while in simulation, for opponent you could choose between every vanilla ship in the game. How is that not standard in starsector to begin with ?

I think he made it pretty clear, that he does not know how he wants the simulation to work so is not putting any time/effort into it.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 06:19:54 PM »

I think he made it pretty clear, that he does not know how he wants the simulation to work so is not putting any time/effort into it.

well that part i got it, but thats why its puzzling me. it can be that hard or time consuming to just put the ship in it...

heskey30

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 06:27:11 PM »

Well there would be no mystery to a new player if they could just put every ship in the game in the simulator.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 06:31:22 PM »

It's a work in progress, I was thinking of maybe at some point basing the ships available in the simulation on what you've actually fought against/had the blueprints to/something else along those lines. Haven't decided, though, and so this feature remains unfinalized.
That sounds wonderful!
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 06:31:34 PM »

Well there would be no mystery to a new player if they could just put every ship in the game in the simulator.

thats...just flawed. going by this train of thought, why put any ship at all in the simulator then ? that "mystery" will go away sooner or later, who cares if the player choose to "discover" it throught the simulator.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 06:40:35 PM »

Mainly, because the "real" mechanic doesn't exist yet and I'd like the simulator to be useful *now*. There's a decent possibility that there won't be much available in the simulator at the start of a new campaign, maybe only a ship or two.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 06:42:32 PM »

Can you put all the ships in for now, until the new system is done instead
- Albert Einstein

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 06:43:54 PM »

Or you just add them in yourself, takes 5 minutes.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 06:47:55 PM »

I'd just as soon not create the false impression that this is "finished" and the expectation to see all the ships there. Besides, which variants go in is a tricky question. If *everything* were to be added it'd be a bit of a mess.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 06:54:40 PM »

Or you just add them in yourself, takes 5 minutes.
You....can do that?.......
- Albert Einstein

Pages: [1] 2