Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Utopian Empire (0.5 released)  (Read 25485 times)

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
The Utopian Empire (0.5 released)
« on: March 13, 2013, 08:31:38 PM »

project on hiatus for the moment being (for personal reason)

Message of the moment : Utopian Empire 0.5 is out ! includes 4 ships, 9 weapons and a mission to try them out !
Current starsector compatible version : Currently coding for 0.54.1a compatibility.

a new power approaches...

---Download---
http://www.mediafire.com/?xevk7qs2361ebnj#!

The Utopian Empire approaches.

Come closer to discover the information that Hegemony spies have uncovered on the mysterious and powerful power that is approaching corvus...

---Lore---
The Utopian are a race of perfectly sentient synthetical beings with full mental freedom that evolved from a highly evolved prototype that was created eons ago, when such technology was still in its infancy.
The Utopian, having evolved from a synthetic being that was created with open-ended moral and cultural guidelines, have evolved over the milleniums into a superpower with high moral standards and great comprehension and acceptance of the unknown. This allowed them to bypass any cultural bias that could have slowed down theire technological development and as such, they are gifted with great technological skills.
Starting off the philosophy that injustice should always be punished, the Utopian Empire consider itself a sort of "galactic police force" sending probes across the galaxy to find where theire Pacification fleet would be most useful. Altho what they send there fleet to "pacificate"  is entirely up to theire own definition, which mean sometime, some solar systems arent very happy to see a Utopian Pacification fleet come in theire system to say the least.

---Current situation in corvus---
For now, the Utopian Fleet has setted-up an outpost around corvus, content enough to simply hunt pirates and leave the Hegemony and Tri-tachyon alones. The two powers do keep a watchful and suspicious eye on the newcomers.

---Ships---(4)
Spoiler
Explorator-class frigate

The Basic ship of the Utopian fleet. We havent found much information on it yet other than its name and the obvious heavy armament it sports. My colleague thinks the elongated pods might hide powerful engines, which would further add speed to what seems an already deadly combination

Negociator-class destroyer

Report from HSS Thor. Our mission failed and we were detected by a Utopian Negociator-class destroyer. Captain Toren from the HSS Loki suggested we headed for the nearest asteroid field where the lumbering ship would have trouble following us. I watched in horror as this heavily equipped ship started to suddenly move around in constantly shifting vectors, avoiding the asteroid that were coming at it, simply destroying the smaller ones. I must report the loss of the HSS Loki as it tried to delay the Utopian destroyer so that we could reach HQ.

Pacificator-class cruiser

This is what seems to be a Utopian assault cruiser. We havent been able to find much about it but rumors that it carries a special system to empower its weaponry even further. I shudder to think of this monster performing frontal assaults...

Exterminator-class battlecruiser

We were spying on a utopian battlecruiser today. These things are monstrous. But what surprised us most was when a pirate fleet approached it and started firing. We were amazed to see the massive ship disapear and quickly reappear right behind the pirate fleet, torching almost all of theire engines before they could even move. I cannot even fathom how utopian managed to get such a massive ship to teleport like that...
[close]

---Weapons---(9)
Spoiler
-Fusion Bolter (small)

This seems to be the smallest gun that uses fusion technology. We know that it is a quick firing weapon that retains decent firepower despite its size.

-Fusion Cycler (small)

Our spies today observed a strange weapon during a mission. Hidden, they launched missiles at an utopian frigate to test its defense. small cannons on the frigate hull started firing at them. there plasma bolt seemed weak enough compared to usual fusion technology, but the incredible firing speed still made short work of our missile.

-Fusion Cannon (medium)

The staple of the Utopian fleet from what we've seen, even theire basic frigate sports one of these. It is a twin-linked weapon with frightening power.

-Fusion Mortar

Excerp from a salvaged utopian log. "Admiral, the mortar testing have been successful, we estimate the power of the weapon to be stronger than the impaler, but with a longer range and a smaller mount. However, to reached the commissioned range, the magnetic containment field had to be strenghten, which heavily impaired travel and firing speed".

-Fusion Impaler (Large)

The biggest application of fusion weaponry as far as we are aware, my colleagues have compared it to a bastard child between our heavy autocannon and the tri-tachyon's plasma cannon. I am afraid however that the technology at work here is much more efficient than what the tri-tach bookworms can do.

-Fusion Lance (large)

This is what seems to be the best weapon the Utopian have equippe dtheire ship with. It seems to be shooting a long and thick stream of plasma not unlike a huge spear that crashes against ship's shields and hulls. I have seen firsthand the damage this configuration can deal and it is utterly terrifying

-Micro Drone Pod (small)

The smallest drone technology we got our hands on. The carrying capacity is enormous along with an impressive tracking AI and powerful vernier. The warhead is strangely small but i feel like it this weapon is meant for more than just brute force...

-Drone Launcher (medium)

The middleline of drone technology. I would be temoted to compare it to our harpoon missile, but that would be dismissing this drone's incredible agility and speed.

-Heavy Drone Catapult (large)

Commander, i must report that the destroyer HSS Tarkad was lost yesterday during testing. The testing procedure went well but as the heavy drone fired forward, it then sharply veered toward us and punched a huge hole in the ship's hull. It seems every single Utopian drone system sports the exagerated precision and agility we have seen until now
[close]

---Technology---
Very few is known about Utopian technology but here is what we have found about them so far.
-Cannon technology : It seems that the Utopians are using a magnetic containment system in theire weapon to generate small fusion reactions that are then propelled throught space toward targets. Of course the magnetic field cannot be sustained forever and the bolts of plasma simply dissipate after a certain distance
-Missile technology : Judging from the specimens we were able to get our hands on, it seems the Utopian uses missiles they call "drone" due to the smart AI and powerful engines they mount. As we used our sample to test theire abilities, we were frightened further by the impressive fusion warheads they contain

---Work Log---
13/03/2013
currently having pelhamds sprite the first batch of ship and weapons
17/03/2013
coding has started, 3 of the initial 12 weapons are ready and 2 of the 4 ship sprite have been received
22/03/2013
coding of material is done, about to jump the debugging hoop to get things working. when thats done we'll have a mission to play with ! campaign compatibility will soon follow

---Changelog---
Spoiler
14/03/2013
changed the name of the faction to avoid obvious confusion
[close]

---Notes---
-Author's note here and ill start by saying that this is a joint project between me and pelhamds. while i started the whole idea, my lack of skills would have putted this whole thing in jeopardy if it wasent for Pelhamds generously accepting to sprite for me. He has also confirmed he wishes to stick around which mean content update after the first patch are guaranteed.
-I'd like to add that this is my very first mod, and im very excited about it. i will make sure to constantly work on it and keep it up to date
-I must also mention that since my playtime in starsector is almost only using Uumoz fantastic mod, i plan on coding accordingly. you can expect fitting relations between the utopian empire and the other inhabitants of corvus (such as the antediluvians, junk pirate and such.

Credits
-Phyrex : coding and testing (more like piecing together :P)
-Pelhamds : spriting, testing, helping and counseling me
-Cycerin : for allowing me to use his burst jets ship system
-EnderNerdCore : for programming said ship system
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 02:36:48 PM by phyrex »

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: The Phyrexian Empire (in development)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 08:31:56 PM »

reserved just in case

Lordzias

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 11:52:57 PM »

1st connotation when seeing the name- MTG.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 12:01:07 AM »

1st connotation when seeing the name- MTG.

haha yes, indeed. i forgot to put the disclaimer, i knew i forgot something.
And indeed, the inspiration comes directly from magic : the gathering.

for the little story, it began 4 years ago when i was a big MTG player, favoring black/green deck and having a love for phyrexian lore.
also being a big sci-fi player, i started developping an whole faction that was initially somewhat based around phyrexian lore.
This has evolved considerably since then and as far as starsector goes, it bears the name only as a throwback for the space-faring people i originally created for a table-top RPG game.

Foxd1e

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 03:43:29 AM »

Oh noes! Flying Phyrexian Colossuses and Soul-gorgers!

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 06:57:41 AM »

RESERVED FOR MEH
I will post any updates or stuff I have done, and any sprites that are in the works that I can show.

Done Sprites:
The Standard Weapons are finished.
The Exotic Weapons are finished.
The Drone Weapons are finished.
The Cruiser, Frigate and Destroyer are finished.

Not Started/Finished Sprites:

(Also by the way the Fusion Lancer is my favourite looking sprite, can't wait to use it *cough*phyrex*cough*  ::))
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 06:50:32 AM by Pelhamds »

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 08:12:49 AM »

Spoiler
[close]

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 08:16:54 AM »

Suggestion: take some vanilla parts and apply them on the sprite with low opacity to give better complexity.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 09:57:24 AM »

Suggestion: take some vanilla parts and apply them on the sprite with low opacity to give better complexity.

I must admit, i feel a little disapointed right now. I never checked pelhamds previous work since he generously offered his help after all, but for some sick reasons, i setted myself up for unreasonable expectations.

no offense really pelhamds, and i wont give you up at this point either.

p.s.: i feel really bad writing this  :'(
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 10:05:23 AM by phyrex »

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: The Utopian Empire (in development)
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 11:44:14 AM »

Some previous work:

ALSO  a revised cruiser:

(BTW IF you are going for a utopian kinda thing check out the utopians from Drox Operative's ships)

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 11:58:29 AM »

Some previous work:

ALSO  a revised cruiser:

(BTW IF you are going for a utopian kinda thing check out the utopians from Drox Operative's ships)

ah ****, those are awesomes, big ass apologies for what i said.
but...if the ship i planned arent coming out as awesome as i thought, then is it because my base design suck ?...

also, again, the utopian name is just one ive given to yet another faction i made for that table-top RPG i mentionned. This time tho, the name itself fit a little more the initial lore i posted.

p.s.: you nailed it this time. sorry to have doubted/judged you so quickly. i feel like a picky-ass bastard now...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 12:06:51 PM by phyrex »

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 12:08:05 PM »

NONONONONO! It took me over 3 hours to get my other ones right, I just need to keep reworking extra on it :) Don't worry I will get it working.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 12:10:48 PM »

NONONONONO! It took me over 3 hours to get my other ones right, I just need to keep reworking extra on it :) Don't worry I will get it working.

alright. btw, the turret at the top of the cruiser is supposed to be a large one. did you put the medium turret sprite there because of lack of place or its just a little mistake ? ill shut up now...

edit : also, we need to connect together on skype, msn, steam or something. spamming the forums or private message is gonna get old and bothersome quickly.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 12:12:31 PM by phyrex »

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 02:57:38 PM »

A word of advice, trust your workforce
They don't HAVE to be there, if you need to criticise, be constructive. Pelhamds does know what he is doing, spriting takes a hell of a long time to do right :)
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 03:52:52 PM »

A word of advice, trust your workforce
They don't HAVE to be there, if you need to criticise, be constructive. Pelhamds does know what he is doing, spriting takes a hell of a long time to do right :)

i had some bad experience in the past we hired artist, so naturally i was having some trust issues. but i hooked up with him on steam and now its all right
Pages: [1] 2 3