Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 71

Author Topic: Starsector 0.6a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 553393 times)

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.6a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #195 on: March 28, 2013, 11:36:11 AM »

Modding related:

Play a specific music/sound when vs a certain faction or even a specific ship, this allows some nice "End boss" music or just having faction specific music

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 01, 2013, 05:47:10 PM »

Have you done any testing with the phase frigates since the frigate changes? Do them seem any better/worse?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 02, 2013, 05:07:18 PM »

Have you done any testing with the phase frigates since the frigate changes? Do them seem any better/worse?

Not much. Did fire them up for a bit, seemed better due to heightened ability to disengage from larger ships.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 02, 2013, 05:12:10 PM »

The addition of some better decorative weapons into vanilla would be great for new modders to peak apart, a rotating sensor dish really doesn't quite match up to escape pods, arcing lasers or venting animations
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 02, 2013, 05:41:29 PM »

Can we have escape pods as decorations now? :o

Can i haz ze patch nao? :D

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 02, 2013, 06:13:38 PM »

Mh, I guess this thread is better of locked until any news arrive.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 24, 2013, 04:30:25 PM »

Updated.

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 24, 2013, 05:11:12 PM »

• "Second in command" option (autoresolve) no longer available to the player (possibly a temporary measure, depending on things)
    • Autoresolve algorithm changed, is now fully moddable
    Unless you mean we can now change the algorithm behind all AI vs AI battles (which would be awesome), aren't these mutually exclusive?

Added SectorAPI.getPersistentData(), used for saving arbitrary data in the savegame
    Excellent, looking forward to this addition. :) Can you reveal how it will work? What about type-safety, etc?[/list]
    « Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 05:14:46 PM by LazyWizard »

Psiyon

• Admiral
    • Trippy
      • View Profile
    « Reply #203 on: May 24, 2013, 05:13:43 PM »

So, is auto-resolve completely gone now? I can see it getting very tedious when trying to destroy lower-level fleets, or perhaps that's what you're trying to discourage players from doing. If that's the case, I'd suggest increasing the amount of XP gained from battles, since the player now has to fight them all in real-time. Or maybe making the maps for huge player fleets vs really small AI fleets significantly smaller, so engagements are quicker.

Also... wait. See LazyWizard's above post.

Alex

• Administrator
    • Admiral
      • View Profile
    « Reply #204 on: May 24, 2013, 05:21:55 PM »

• "Second in command" option (autoresolve) no longer available to the player (possibly a temporary measure, depending on things)
      • Autoresolve algorithm changed, is now fully moddable
      Unless you mean we can now change the algorithm behind all AI vs AI battles (which would be awesome), aren't these mutually exclusive?

Right, you can mod the AI vs AI algorithm. You could also mod autoresolve back in so it's available for the player, too, if you were so inclined.

Added SectorAPI.getPersistentData(), used for saving arbitrary data in the savegame
      Awesome, can you reveal how this will work? :)[/list]

The method is:
      Map<String, Object> getPersistentData();
      So, that's pretty much all there is to it. That map gets serialized (using XStream), so you don't need to do anything at all - in terms of serialization code - to make it work. You can implement readResolve()/writeReplace() methods if you've got any special requirements on that front, and you could flag things as transient so they aren't saved. Actually, you can do that for other stuff that winds up in the save game, too, like spawn points.

So, is auto-resolve completely gone now? I can see it getting very tedious when trying to destroy lower-level fleets, or perhaps that's what you're trying to discourage players from doing. If that's the case, I'd suggest increasing the amount of XP gained from battles, since the player now has to fight them all in real-time. Or maybe making the maps for huge player fleets vs really small AI fleets significantly smaller, so engagements are quicker.

Yeah. The idea is that even when you have a big fleet size advantage, you still don't want to just deploy all and steamroll, because of associated CR loss and supply costs. It's hard to envision the role autoresolve can play in that environment; you'd possibly need to tell it what you want to use, what you don't, how many ships it's ok to use, etc. At that point you might as well play it out. If you're "grinding" low-level fleets for money/XP, you wouldn't want to use it anyway. Either you'd end up with too many losses, or too many expenses.

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
      • Admiral
        • View Profile
        • GitHub Profile
      « Reply #205 on: May 24, 2013, 05:30:22 PM »

The method is:
      Map<String, Object> getPersistentData();
      So, that's pretty much all there is to it. That map gets serialized (using XStream), so you don't need to do anything at all - in terms of serialization code - to make it work. You can implement readResolve()/writeReplace() methods if you've got any special requirements on that front, and you could flag things as transient so they aren't saved. Actually, you can do that for other stuff that winds up in the save game, too, like spawn points.

Is there no type safety, then? If it would help, I wrote a type-safe persistent data storage class using generics for use in my personal mods. The code for that is here, if you would be interested. I believe the methods will work even when called from Janino-compiled scripts (though I haven't tested it thoroughly).

Also - with the full understanding that the features are subject to change - would it be possible to see the current version of Starsector's API? I know you've mentioned elsewhere that you've made some significant additions to it, so it would be nice to see what all is new before making more requests.

That's assuming that there's nothing secret in the API that you don't want to reveal yet (which is why I waited to ask until after a new patch notes appeared :)).

Alex

• Administrator
      • Admiral
        • View Profile
      « Reply #206 on: May 24, 2013, 05:48:32 PM »

Is there no type safety, then? If it would help, I wrote a type-safe persistent data storage class using generics for use in my personal mods. The code for that is here, if you would be interested. I believe the methods will work even when called from Janino-compiled scripts (though I haven't tested it thoroughly).

Nope, no type safety. Presumably, you'd have a really unique key, and then instanceof the result - and would use a single class with a bunch of type-safe data members in it that you're saving, rather than a bunch of different keys saved at the top level in the map.

Given that usage model, I don't think additional code is necessary here. Ease of use over... well, I don't know what. (I'd better not go into a rant about generics here. Let's just say I think their best feature is the for (x : list) loop syntax.)

Also - with the full understanding that the features are subject to change - would it be possible to see the current version of Starsector's API? I know you've mentioned elsewhere that you've made some significant additions to it, so it would be nice to see what all is new before making more requests.

That's assuming that there's nothing secret in the API that you don't want to reveal yet (which is why I waited to ask until after a new patch notes appeared :)).

Alright, here you go:
      http://fractalsoftworks.com/starfarer.api/

There shouldn't be any top-secret stuff. I think. Also, it does not include a lot of stuff that's been requested, and that's on my list, but that I just haven't gotten to. Also #2, it will change literally within minutes of this post.

naufrago

• Admiral
        • View Profile
      « Reply #207 on: May 24, 2013, 06:10:53 PM »

So, now that fighters can't be boarded, is purchasing them the only way we can acquire new ones? Any new thoughts on fighter changes you feel comfortable sharing? Just trying to get a feel for how they'll play out next patch.

Alex

• Administrator
      • Admiral
        • View Profile
      « Reply #208 on: May 24, 2013, 06:46:03 PM »

Yeah, purchasing is the only way. Which is actually a bit rough given the current state of the star system, but should be less of an issue later on. I'd expect fighters to be some of the more common craft available.

Any new thoughts on fighter changes you feel comfortable sharing? Just trying to get a feel for how they'll play out next patch.

Not quite ready to share the details, but I've actually just recently decided on the changes to try/make, and feel very good about them :) If things work out as expected, there'll be nice tie-ins to CR all around, and fighter wings should be much more resilient in terms of surviving larger engagements.

naufrago

• Admiral
        • View Profile
      « Reply #209 on: May 24, 2013, 07:05:52 PM »

Sounds interesting, and I'll be looking forward to hearing more about it when it's ready =D
      Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 71