Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 71

Author Topic: Starsector 0.6a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 554747 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.6a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #165 on: March 23, 2013, 12:14:40 PM »

No. Far too bright and annoying :)

Edit: even tried showing the star as really small, but the graphics didn't scale down well, and it didn't really work. Might look better if there were mipmaps (auto-generated level-of-detail versions of the texture), but I'm not sure generating those would be a good idea in this case, since it'd double the video memory usage, and those textures are pretty large.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 12:17:24 PM by Alex »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 23, 2013, 12:26:39 PM »

• ModPlugin now has the following methods:
    • void onApplicationLoad() throws Exception;
    • void onNewGame();
    • void onEnabled(boolean wasEnabledBefore);
    • void onGameLoad();
    • void beforeGameSave();
    • void afterGameSave();
  • Mods can add things to existing games (using the "onEnabled" method)

I'm very happy about this! Great work as always.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 23, 2013, 12:42:35 PM »

Exiting mid-battle:
Finishes the battle as a victory if the enemy is in full retreat
Is there something in the UI that lets you know that the enemy is in full retreat? Sometimes there is a small ship outside of your viewing range, and it would nice to know in this situation that you could exit the battle without wasting time trying to find the ship and chase them down.

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 23, 2013, 12:55:15 PM »

can the Decorative background be disabled durning battles ?
i got rather slow/weak PC so i have to save as many memory i can ( currently i disable V-sync ;p)
-the ABOMINATION - in progress

scotty0002

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 23, 2013, 01:46:37 PM »

Once this patch comes out Starsector should gofor steam Greenlight.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 23, 2013, 01:53:45 PM »

Once this patch comes out Starsector should gofor steam Greenlight.
Hi there! :)

Steam Greenlight is a great platform for indie games and its likely that Starsector will eventually use it (or other means to get on Steam). That time, however, has not yet come. Starsector still needs a bit to mature, I'm sure when it's ready the developers will make their move on steam. Here's what the lead developer said about the idea:

"Guys - I appreciate the thought, but I really don't feel like Starsector is ready for this kind of exposure. Please don't do anything on my behalf to make that happen - I think it could end up causing serious problems, both for the development of the game, the community, and, indeed, my mental health :) "

See also this post by David, the art designer.

As a general advice: It is a good idea to use the search function (upper right corner) to see if anyone posted a similar suggestion before ;)

Thanks Gothars :)

EDIT: 1337 posts!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 02:02:13 PM by Faiter119 »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 23, 2013, 01:57:19 PM »

Exiting mid-battle:
Finishes the battle as a victory if the enemy is in full retreat
Is there something in the UI that lets you know that the enemy is in full retreat? Sometimes there is a small ship outside of your viewing range, and it would nice to know in this situation that you could exit the battle without wasting time trying to find the ship and chase them down.

There's a message in the top left and I'd like to add an audio cue. You can also quickly check the status of that by pressing escape and seeing what message comes up.

i got rather slow/weak PC so i have to save as many memory i can ( currently i disable V-sync ;p)

No, but it's not difficult to mod out. It's not exactly a performance hog, though - no more so than a planet in the current missions.

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 23, 2013, 01:59:16 PM »

Faiter why does your name have instead of numbers for the amount of posts "leet"????

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 23, 2013, 02:00:16 PM »

A little SMF easter egg, when the posts are at 1337. Back on topic, please :)

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 23, 2013, 02:04:56 PM »

A little SMF easter egg, when the posts are at 1337. Back on topic, please :)
Thanks Alex, I thought my screen was bugging out or something else.... and I just saw the mod can add stuff to existing games function!!!! oh that is really helpful, thank you SOOOO very much for putting that in :)

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 23, 2013, 03:04:40 PM »

No, but it's not difficult to mod out. It's not exactly a performance hog, though - no more so than a planet in the current missions.

well i think thats ok
& a question: will there be any graphic/resolution  option in full game ?
-the ABOMINATION - in progress

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 23, 2013, 03:08:23 PM »

& a question: will there be any graphic/resolution  option in full game ?

Well, there's already resolution options in the launcher :)

Anything more involved... possibly, if it makes sense. Right now it's not using anything terribly fancy that could be disabled for a significant performance boost. I'll take a closer look later on, though.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 23, 2013, 07:17:56 PM »

Speaking of that, are there new graphical elements you really want to implement in the polish phase of the game? I think the game currently is a very good example of how cohesive art design and gamefeel can carry the game on its own without the need for visual fluff. Even so, small additions like these that work within the current scope of the graphics engine are very effective at aiding immersion.

One thing I personally would love to see eventually is a gradual breakup and explosion of shipwrecks that actually become destroyed rather than merely disabled, like in Escape Velocity, along with flying, red-hot debris...

BrickedKeyboard

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 23, 2013, 08:40:30 PM »

I hope to see substantive improvements to the actual game in a coming update.  The character stats, the improved campaign battles, the AI improvements : all of those make the actual combat immensely better.  But right now the overall metagame is you start out, you kill stuff to gradually make you "cloud" of ships better, and you keep doing it until no one can offer a significant challenge.  

I wish your attacks actually meant something.  If I raid the pirates faction for 50 battles in a row, the faction itself ought to be affected somehow.  The basic idea I thought of is that if you attack a faction enough times

a) The faction starts sending their ships out in convoys instead of piecemeal
b)  If they become sufficiently mad, and if they have the resources, they assemble a fleet strong enough to take you out and send it after you.  
c).  If their own types of ships aren't working, they hire outside mercenary fleets that come in from out of system to chase the player fleet down.
d)  Once a faction is actually exhausted of resources, they abandon the system

To make this a little more in depth : if you've got a fleet hunting you down, if you flee to a friendly starbase you'd have the option to "lie low" (costs credits and supplies to pay for the slip rental fees and to pay for your crew salaries) or to "reconfigure IFF" that would cause your fleet to resemble a fleet from that faction unless you get too close to ships from the faction that is trying to hunt you down.

Other options might be there besides combat, like maybe a faction would try to bribe you to stop attacking them.

If you ally with a faction and annihilate all other factions from a system, you get a victory screen.  You beat Starfarer!  Would you like to continue playing?

As a programmer myself, I know that scripting this kind of stuff is not at all difficult.  It's a lot easier than some of the stuff the game already does.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 08:56:42 PM by BrickedKeyboard »

BrickedKeyboard

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 23, 2013, 08:59:22 PM »

One other basic improvement that ought to make the next update : the AI should take into account your victories and losses and adjust you actual "fleet point" rating accordingly.  If you beat a 150 point fleet with a 100 point fleet, it should consider your 100 point fleet to be closer to that 150 point value.  That way you won't have fleets of pirates that you have already beaten 10 times in a row still attacking you, thinking they can win.  In a similar manner, if you are near a destination or a spawn point, ships from a faction won't spawn or attempt to reach the destination if they think they will lose to your point adjust fleet. 
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 71