Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 71

Author Topic: Starsector 0.6a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 553447 times)

robokill

• Captain
  • Hey, over there stop looking at my guns!
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.6a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2013, 08:06:41 PM »

Theres been a significate decrease it seams in regular forum members.
i remember .5 and when we hit 25 pages of "sweet cool" before any crucial discussion on day 3.
Or was it the update directly after campaghne. (not bug fix).
It makes me sad  :'( .
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 08:29:25 PM by robokill »

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2013, 08:12:57 PM »

They'll be back.  :)
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

DornoDiosMio

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2013, 08:52:54 PM »

Theres been a significate decrease it seams in regular forum members.
i remember .5 and when we hit 25 pages of "sweet cool" before any crucial discussion on day 3.
Or was it the update directly after campaghne. (not bug fix).
It makes me sad  :'( .

Sweet! Cool! I can't wait!

See, new people like me will come around to pick up the slack too.

robokill

• Captain
  • Hey, over there stop looking at my guns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2013, 09:09:17 PM »

THERE WILL BE BLOOD!!!!!!!!! >:(

pirate blood, sorry swallowed some marbles. ;D

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2013, 10:09:58 PM »

well, that's kinda to be expected considering how long alex's been taking....

people get bored and move on, i haven't been the most active these days either

when there's something to actually talk about, maybe people will get a little more hyped about this thing
mmm.... tartiflette

Decer304

• Commander
  • Starsector starts with the letter "S"
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2013, 10:18:03 PM »

Well, i'd rather a game that someone has taken time into making and perfecting, that some crap someone pumped out in a short period of time.
"Kat, 6, push back the attack on Sword Base find out what we are dealing with"

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2013, 11:02:51 PM »

The problem is that most suggestions and discussion happens after a large patch, and right now we're only on a hotfix.

StahnAileron

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2013, 11:18:13 PM »

CR Mechanic + Missile Deabte = My trains of thought:

1) High CR = Proper Maintenance and/or highly trained and non-stressed crew.
2) Proper Maintenance = Things(tm) work like they're supposed to or perhaps better.
3) Trained Crew = Makes Things(tm) work a bit better than the spec.

Increased Missile ammo doesn't make much sense since missile launchers are designed with a set number of tubes. Even designs with a magazine are fixed in amount with how much a magazine can hold. Neither good maintenance or a good crew can fix that. However there is the following I can think of that reflect points (2) and (3).

A) If a launcher is maintained well, it could fire faster = small bonus to ROF for high CR?
B) A good crew (assuming the ship has spare ammo in storage and can access the launchers somehow) could theoretically reload the launcher under combat conditions = Low chance or rate to reload missiles.

(A) is the most logical and easily feasible. It's only be useless for single-shot missiles. (Single Reaper, Single Harpoon, etc.)

(B) would be problematic to implement as I think about it. I can definitely see it done on larger vessels with good cargo space. Frigates with low cargo sapce is a bust though. (Take the Hyperion for instance. I can't see that sucker carrying spare ammo despite the math in regards to cargo numbers). There also the problem with rate/chance of reload. That would be a balancing problem. Ammo levels vary greatly between launchers (Single shot all the way up to 100 for the rockets, not counting Expanded Racks.) An across the board rate will favor one ammo count over another. (Flat rate would favor low count, % rate would favor higher counts.) The other option would be to give each missile weapon its own bonus rate. That would be more numbers to remember, handle, and balance.

Now, for my own questions:

Alex, do you think any other ammo-based weapons will affect CR? I'm thinking mostly of Ballistics, but there are some ammo-based Energy-DMG type weapons. (AM Blaster or Mjollnir, for example). You'd need to reload ammo based weapons between fights, no? Technically, that would affect combat readiness. I imagine you kinda don't want to touch on that yet (if at all) since that could push players towards pure, unlimited-ammo Energy-type weapons.

On the flip side, might CR eventually affect ballistic ammo count if CR is too low between fights? Speaking of which: if battle are now in phases, will ammo levels at the end of phase one reflect in phase 2? Or will ammo be restored between phases/engagements?

Lastly, will we have visible supply consumption for missile ammo now? Supplies only have applied to crew, fleet repair, and fleet "maintenance" (for being over limits), yet not to the expendables/consumables known as ammunition. I ask the same if ballistic weapon ammo usage will affect CR and such at some later time (if at all). I just find it kinda strange that supplies really only consist of 2 things: Food (crew) and ship components (Fleet; think armor, wiring, conduit, etc.) Apparently ammo is freely available? ::)

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2013, 01:11:36 AM »

Realism is wrong word, you shoud not use it in context of starfarer.
Currently player skill increase damage and amount of missiles, magically.
I cant see any reason why CR and crew levels can't improve same stats same way.

(Also we need more crew levels to smooth effects, maybe 5-7 levels from very poor to very good)

Just imagine - tactical nuclear charge (Reaper) manufactured by local nano assembly \ universal constructor by known bluprint.

How you going to increase its speed or damage without altering blueprint?
Answer: you cant
Right answer: with magic.

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 19, 2013, 02:13:25 AM »

Realism is wrong word, you shoud not use it in context of starfarer.
Currently player skill increase damage and amount of missiles, magically.
I cant see any reason why CR and crew levels can't improve same stats same way.

(Also we need more crew levels to smooth effects, maybe 5-7 levels from very poor to very good)

Just imagine - tactical nuclear charge (Reaper) manufactured by local nano assembly \ universal constructor by known bluprint.

How you going to increase its speed or damage without altering blueprint?
Answer: you cant
Right answer: with magic.
Nope.

I imagine that any commander worth his salt would modify their weapons to how they fight, therefore increasing 'skills' in missile combat means you are more experienced in using them and have changed the specifications to reflect how you fight (e.g. variants of ships).

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 19, 2013, 02:32:44 AM »

Nope.

I imagine that any commander worth his salt would modify their weapons to how they fight, therefore increasing 'skills' in missile combat means you are more experienced in using them and have changed the specifications to reflect how you fight (e.g. variants of ships).
Well now, i don't think that, today, any captain of, let say, nuclear submarine, no matter how experience he is, can increase number of torpedoes. I don't know how it goes but i don't think he can come and say: "Hey put there one more torpedo." Smarter captains are better in deciding when to shoot torpedo, aka. how to use weapons efficiently. Ships are build by engineers, how, why, and because something is where it is, that is stuff that engineers decides. Captain do not know and do not need to know, they just need to know what ship can or can't do. That way they know how far they can push them.
Ok, i write enough, what i want to say is that i agree with RawCode. It's magic  ;D

Buuuuut as for more dmg from ballistic and energy weapons i think that is ok. Better captain know where weak-spots of enemy armor is so he can tell/learn his crew how to use that against enemy so they can make more damage.
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 19, 2013, 02:53:31 AM »

Nope.

Well now, i don't think that, today, any captain of, let say, nuclear submarine, no matter how experience he is, can increase number of torpedoes. I don't know how it goes but i don't think he can come and say: "Hey put there one more torpedo." Smarter captains are better in deciding when to shoot torpedo, aka. how to use weapons efficiently. Ships are build by engineers, how, why, and because something is where it is, that is stuff that engineers decides. Captain do not know and do not need to know, they just need to know what ship can or can't do. That way they know how far they can push them.
Ok, i write enough, what i want to say is that i agree with RawCode. It's magic  ;D

Buuuuut as for more dmg from ballistic and energy weapons i think that is ok. Better captain know where weak-spots of enemy armor is so he can tell/learn his crew how to use that against enemy so they can make more damage.
NOONONONON! :)

I believe that this is true, as for example during long wars (e.g. Vietnam,WW2, Gulf) tank commanders for example changed parts of their tank, these were not made by the engineers? They added armour plates, more supplies, more storage (FOR AMMO.....)  this does happen in real life, the example about missiles changing the payload was certainly a long shot but the only explanation for more damage I could see apart form changing the launchers...

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 19, 2013, 03:02:10 AM »

I believe that this is true, as for example during long wars (e.g. Vietnam,WW2, Gulf) tank commanders for example changed parts of their tank, these were not made by the engineers? They added armour plates, more supplies, more storage (FOR AMMO.....)  this does happen in real life, the example about missiles changing the payload was certainly a long shot but the only explanation for more damage I could see apart form changing the launchers...
Well one thing is tank and other thing is space ship. Try to mess around with submarine, cos submarine is closest thing to space ship that humans have with weapons on/in it. It's more complicated and have really nasty environment - space.
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 19, 2013, 03:06:40 AM »

Well one thing is tank and other thing is space ship. Try to mess around with submarine, cos submarine is closest thing to space ship that humans have with weapons on/in it. It's more complicated and have really nasty environment - space.

SPAAAAAACE.....in Space.

Within the game the ships feel more like tanks than submarines, though I understand the comparison to real life, I don't believe that a captain would not dare modify parts of the ship.

Gaizokubanou

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 19, 2013, 04:23:20 AM »

Given the lore, I think most captains would be too busy trying to keep the ship operational.  Even if extremely talented individuals make modification, it's doubtful that there can be any complex modifications made.  Every on-field modifications I can think of are extremely rudimentary or minor.  To make big changes, you need proper tools and there is no way that character level based bonuses reflect such change.  What they represent is more akin to changes in personal--machine stays the same, but the users learn to drive it to its limit.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 71