Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 71

Author Topic: Starsector 0.6a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 553320 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.6a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 07:34:35 PM »

Right; all of this work is campaign-driven, even if that's not readily apparent from looking at the patch notes. The Combat Readiness blog post talks about that in a little more detail.

What are your thoughts on it's interaction with stations though, will stopping by the dock for repairs restore CR?

Instant repairs are a placeholder, there to speed things along because time is meaningless at the moment. Once time starts to matter (i.e you might lose an outpost because your fleet wasn't ready to intercept a pirate fleet in time, or you can do other useful things with that time), I'd expect those mechanics to go away or alter quite a bit. That said, right now repairs also restore full CR.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 07:49:59 PM »

oh wow.
big update indeed.
thats both awesome and sad for me :/

im currently working on my first mod and im still learning how the game's code work. having more stacked over is gonna be troublesome. especially a new stats like combat readiness

Pentakill

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 08:14:27 PM »

I love that you're making such an effort to polish battles and combat but I feel like you're starting to tinker, not for the better, with something that's already very good.

With each new patch you're adding new combat mechanics and such but each is starting to feel less and less needed, and more like you're nitpicking because you've been looking at the same game for so long.

I suppose what i'm saying is, the combat is very well fleshed out while the rest of the actual game isn't at all. Right now its basically a combat simulator where you can acquire every ship, weapon, and upgrade in under a few hours, test them, then ask "now what?".

If you could take a step back for a month or two like so many of us loving players have between patches you'd see that the combat is beautiful and ready, but it needs the rest of the game.

Obviously you're not in a position to "take a step back for a month or two" but just try to put yourself in the consumers shoes. What we see is the dev "fixing" things that don't need it while putting off what we feel is really integral to making this a game.

I'm worried if your focus isn't renewed soon the development will take vastly more time then needed before it catches a glimpse of a trade system, more than one solar system, real factions, economy, real character progression, ect.

Hopefully you don't take this the wrong way, think of it as an intervention from one of your loving players.
(ps. I feel like a d*ck writing this but i'm just kinda bummed time and time again to see more of the same, changing a good combat system, and very little if any real meat in the patches.)

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 08:40:10 PM »

Did you read the CR blog post?   ???

This is a campaign mechanic. Yes it affects combat, but the campaign HAS to affect combat in some way. This is just the way it does that. If the combat is the muscle and the campaign the skeleton, this is like the ligaments. You need it for them to mesh.

He is working on the campaign, it just may not feel like it.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2013, 08:48:49 PM »

Like I said in my post, what I see in this update is the campaign and combat being integrated more smoothly with one another. Jumping straight from combat mechanics to campaign entirely wouldn't have a good effect on the development in either the long or short terms. There has to be updates like this, which are more transitional from one to the other, so that the future updates go smoother and require less changing as more gets added to the game later on

Vinya

• Captain
  • Vulgar at best...
    • View Profile
    • Mykyria Scifi/Zombie writing blog (Old site)
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2013, 08:58:22 PM »

Soooooooo, with this update, what will mod ships from the previous versions have their CR set to? Is it an individual rating for each for each ship in the .csv, or it it determined by ship class/tech level? Will non-updated mods still work?

If by "good guys" you mean "elitist regime that suppresses colonial independence and thrives off of an overwhelmingly deep gap in wealth between social classes," then yes.

EnderNerdcore

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2013, 09:12:53 PM »

Fantastic stuff.

This is also going to cause every mod maker to have to redo some of the stats on all of their ships. :)

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2013, 09:58:17 PM »

after a day of frustration with blizzard over hots, this definitely provides a great degree of comfort

i knew there was a reason I prefer indie games :)
mmm.... tartiflette

Gaizokubanou

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2013, 10:40:44 PM »

Cool, two new major overhauls to help tie combat with campaign stuff that will come in the future.  YAY!

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2013, 11:36:36 PM »

Hope we get a fix for decorative weapons as well, so they don't get assigned to weapon groups.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2013, 11:40:50 PM »

it's on the change log, they did it
mmm.... tartiflette

Nooblies

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2013, 01:13:22 AM »

With the removal of the zero flux speed boost, the 5 and 10 point perks in the Helmsmanship aptitude are no longer applicable, and hence will need changes. Just thought I'd mention it as those perks aren't mentioned in the patch notes.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2013, 01:33:23 AM »

0flux is still there, just no longer possible when... well.... the ship has more than 0 flux
mmm.... tartiflette

Jonlissla

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2013, 02:45:05 AM »

Since the combat in the campaign is getting reworked, is it possible to make AI battles last a few days instead of getting immediately resolved? Like Mount&Blade, you can then come and assist in battles and so on. You could have a small window above showing how the battle is going. Would make the world feel more alive, right now all we see are small coloured circles going *poof* when they fly into eachother.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 03:24:42 AM by Jonlissla »

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2013, 02:52:48 AM »

Since the combat in the campaign is getting reworked, is it possible to make AI battles last a few days instead of getting immediately resolved? Like Mount&Blade, you can then come and assist in battles and so on. You could have a small window above showing how the battle is going. Would make the world feel more alive, right now all we see is small coloured circles go *poof* when they fly into eachother.

This actually makes more sense now with the new combat mechanics :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 71