Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 71

Author Topic: Starsector 0.6a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 553326 times)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.6a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #690 on: September 06, 2013, 08:18:03 AM »

I really do hope so - it's been far too long.  But a worthy wait for a worthy update.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: September 06, 2013, 08:28:13 AM »

Thank god for Brawler buffs, by the way. What weapons are on the Elite variant? Maulers? I always found dual heavy MG + annihilator Brawlers to be surprisingly brutal once they actually catch something.

Mauler + HVD + 2x 1-shot Harpoon.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: September 06, 2013, 10:33:32 AM »

Thank god for Brawler buffs, by the way. What weapons are on the Elite variant? Maulers? I always found dual heavy MG + annihilator Brawlers to be surprisingly brutal once they actually catch something.

Mauler + HVD + 2x 1-shot Harpoon.

Oooh, nasty :D. Wouldn't want to catch that in the engines.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: September 06, 2013, 10:59:12 AM »

Took a quick look through the API source; not really finding any working example of a Dialog yet. 

It's hard to tell how we're supposed to structure it atm; it appears we're supposed to set up TextPanelAPI stuff and implement choices through buttons, but the workflow is not terribly obvious to me. 

Sorry if that just means I'm stupid, I'm reading what's in the API but it's not really making much sense yet how to put it all together and build a simple dialog, like:

Arrive at <specific> LocationAPI Station --> A new Button there says "Hello World" --> User clicks button --> Dialog responds with "Hello World".

If I have that much to look at, most of the rest of it's probably just dealing with implementation specifics.  Right now I'm kind of lost trying to figure out the workflow.  It's even more confusing than CharacterCreationPluginImpl was, and there we had a working example :)

Any chance we can see a working example of this?
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: September 06, 2013, 11:23:04 AM »

Also, per LazyWizard's earlier request, here's the current API source. It may still change between now and the 0.6a release, but major refactoring is unlikely.

Alright.
1) Download the .zip linked above.
2) Take a look under com\fs\starfarer\api\impl\campaign
CoreCampaignPluginImpl.java: selects dialog plugins for various purposes. Mods can provide their own implementation of this to override core dialog plugins.
PlanetInteractionDialogPluginImpl.java: Simplest dialog, for interaction with a planet - displays some text and the planet, and presents the player with a "Leave" option.

(Take a look at CoreCampaignPluginImpl.pickInteractionDialogPlugin() to see how a dialog plugin for a specific SectorEntityToken is selected.)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 11:25:16 AM by Alex »

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: September 06, 2013, 11:33:42 AM »

Ahhh...

That's very helpful, thanks much.  So we set up initial options there and so forth and the case system allows for exit or execution of <blah>.

Sorry for not finding what might seem obvious, I'm doing some work stuff atm, just took a quick peek :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: September 06, 2013, 11:38:12 AM »

Cool :) Yep, that's pretty much it. The rest is just the various things the VisualPanelAPI, TextPanelAPI, etc let you do to manipulate the dialog.

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #697 on: September 06, 2013, 03:06:28 PM »

Also... does removeEntity() in LocationAPI mean that it's going to be possible to remove Stations from Planets?

Yeah, in theory. Not going to promise that it works because I don't think I've tested it. But if it doesn't, you'll just tell me and I'll fix it in the 0.6.1a release, right? :)

I can foresee us adding a lot of sanity checks to our code to support this addition, especially for those mods with dynamic systems. :) Does fleet AI automatically compensate for their destination/resupply token being removed?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: September 06, 2013, 03:31:21 PM »

I can foresee us adding a lot of sanity checks to our code to support this addition, especially for those mods with dynamic systems. :) Does fleet AI automatically compensate for their destination/resupply token being removed?

It does not, at this point. Shouldn't crash, though - would likely behave as if the token was in the last place it actually existed in.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: September 06, 2013, 09:19:14 PM »

Is that two flight deck carrier gonna make it into the patch? If so, perhaps we could get a preview/spoiler? :D

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: September 06, 2013, 09:49:52 PM »

its ok with removal.

can rendering state\sprite be altered on stations and planets (via API, cos it possible "directly" right now)?

in such case anyone will be alble to HIDE station and keep its pointer alive as long as needed for compatability (hidden field can be added to vanilla location object for this).

actually removing anything not really needed as long as developer can just hide something from user and still use it internally.

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: September 07, 2013, 07:22:19 AM »

Just checked entire API "source" and noticed zero options for game localization, large amount of strings emdedded into code and there is no option to hook it.

Suggestion is simple:

Message callback\eventbus with ability to hook and alter any code related messages, this will allow to "translate" any code based output with string analization.

Also API shoud require to assign unique ID (string type) for each message (on compilation stage), in this case anyone who want his mod to be localized properly will have chance to set this ID to "MODNAME_STRINGNAME" and post table somewhere (proper way to move all strings into external file but looks like eventbus will work better)

In code it shoud looks like:
Code
engine.ui.postmessage("MODNAME INITIALIZED!","MODNAME_INITIALIZED");

Any plugin attached to eventbus will have ability to alter message by its ID or string analization, replace it or cancel completely.

In case of messages with variable data - array input method is required that also include format string it shoud looks like:
Code
engine.ui.postmessageex(String[] args,String ID,String Format);

Similar eventbus required for other types of messages and possibly ability to redirect fileIO to translate stuff like codex entries.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: September 07, 2013, 08:05:04 AM »

Is that two flight deck carrier gonna make it into the patch? If so, perhaps we could get a preview/spoiler? :D

Doesn't look like it.

Just checked entire API "source" and noticed zero options for game localization, large amount of strings emdedded into code and there is no option to hook it.

I think you might have missed Global.getSettings().getString(), which grabs strings by id from strings.json, and is used in pretty much all of the dialog plugins.

However, that's only one side of it. The other part is being able to display the text and adjust the UI to make stuff look ok, or at least fit. Also, I'm not entirely sure what good it does to allow modded content to be localized while core stuff - like tooltips, buttons, etc - can't be.

Anyway, the bottom line is that making the game localizeable is an extensive task, and this release isn't making an attempt to tackle it.

(This really isn't the thread for detailed suggestions, btw. If you'd like to discuss this further, please start a new thread in Suggestions.)

can rendering state\sprite be altered on stations and planets

Not at the moment, though changing the station graphic is somewhere on my list. Not sure if I'll get to it by 0.6a.

... actually, for planets, a lot of stuff CAN be changed dynamically - anything in PlanetSpecAPI can be changed on the fly in the campaign, for each individual planet.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: September 07, 2013, 08:12:21 AM »

So, like, we could do planets that "evolve" as they're colonized?

COOL. 

Wish we could swap out Station graphics, but heck, this sorely tempts me to get rid of Stations entirely, if we can access the buy / sell interface via Dialogs and stock them with items / ships.
Xeno's Mod Pack

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: September 07, 2013, 08:55:35 AM »

Wish we could swap out Station graphics, but heck, this sorely tempts me to get rid of Stations entirely, if we can access the buy / sell interface via Dialogs and stock them with items / ships.

I'd expect this is how the game is ultimately going to work, anyway. Not that stations would necessarily go away, but I don't see them as the primary "planet interaction" hub.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 71