Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 71

Author Topic: Starsector 0.6a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 555042 times)

Madgamer13

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.6a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #645 on: August 22, 2013, 08:05:02 PM »

/engage cheesy joke mode!

If tugs bearing massive magnets were to appear in Starsector... how would they work?  *bah-dum-tsh*

Maybe if magnets were implemented into Starsector, we'd see some... Magnet on ship action!

Giggidy.

/Cheesy joke mode disengaged, venting flux

At this moment I do not really care for in game representation of the tug's ability to, uuh, tug.  Microfilament lines, chunky ropes, magically magnetic hull plating, duct tape?  All the same to me really, I'm sure that could be finalised later, once we can get a feel of the tugs themselves.

I'm more impatient for the curious features lined up for the next patch than anything else.

MCWarhammer

• Ensign
  • What time is it?
    • View Profile
    • MCWarhammer's Homepage
« Reply #646 on: August 23, 2013, 08:33:49 PM »

I'm more impatient for the curious features lined up for the next patch than anything else.

I'm more impatient for the whole shabang to be released.
Quote from: Alex
I'm not a robot! *bzzt* *chirp*

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: August 24, 2013, 05:59:24 AM »

since tug work in hyperspace it actually does not need any sprite or field GFX, you can't see it anyway.

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #648 on: August 24, 2013, 09:38:42 AM »

I've been compiling a list of questions for a while but never got around to writing a post for them, so my apologies for the sudden deluge:

• I know the campaign map sticks in memory during combat, but how persistent are custom UI elements? Are they created once at game load and last for the whole session, or are they recreated after each battle?

• Will we be able to render things in combat, or is it campaign-only for now?

• You mentioned potentially adding code for text rendering a while back. Have you decided if that will be in for .6a?

• With the new fighter docking methods: can those be used outside of a custom AI implementation? Would it be possible to create decorative docking for things like cargo shuttles using them?

• Do loadjson/csv have the same merge behavior as the game's loader? Is there a way to load the entries from a certain mod directory only?

• If I'm reading the notes right, sector messages are now system-specific. Is there a way to broadcast directly to the player, or would we need to use sector.getPlayerFleet().getContainingLocation() to broadcast to the current system?

• I apologize as this one's more of a feature request than a question, but since we can't guarantee that a system's spawn points will be called on a certain frame, could we have a plugin with a universal advance() and access to this frame's InputEventAPIs? I suppose we could just use an invisible CustomUIPanelPlugin, but that seems a bit hack-ish.

• Is there a chance you'd be willing to release the new api.jar once you've reached the bugfixing stage and aren't adding any new features to .6a? While we wouldn't be able to test our work in-game, it'd be great to get a jump start on updating our mods with the massive API changes so they'll be ready when the update is released. :)

I know I've called the last several patches something along the lines of "the ultimate modding update", but multiple systems, custom ship and weapon AI, persistent inter-mod data storage, built-in and campaign-level hullmods, access to the render loop, custom entity interaction popups and interface elements, and a huge portion of the API request thread added? I don't see how you can possibly top that in the future. ;)

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: August 24, 2013, 09:50:40 AM »

Perhaps an Economy, Station Battles, Colonization?

This is only 0.6a, theres quite alot before 1.0  ;)

Ravendarke

• Captain
  • Nemesis
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: August 24, 2013, 09:56:47 AM »

Or blue prints, ship construction, research..

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: August 24, 2013, 11:26:34 AM »

• I know the campaign map sticks in memory during combat, but how persistent are custom UI elements? Are they created once at game load and last for the whole session, or are they recreated after each battle?
  • Will we be able to render things in combat, or is it campaign-only for now?

Just to be clear, the custom UI elements are only available within an InteractionDialog. So, that'll get instantiated whenever you create a new dialog.

You can't, for example, add a custom widget to be shown as part of the standard campaign UI.

• You mentioned potentially adding code for text rendering a while back. Have you decided if that will be in for .6a?

Still a maybe.

• With the new fighter docking methods: can those be used outside of a custom AI implementation? Would it be possible to create decorative docking for things like cargo shuttles using them?

Possibly. I could be missing something, since I haven't actually used it for that, but I think you could spawn a custom ship (say, one with CollisionClass.NONE) and then land it wherever.

• Do loadjson/csv have the same merge behavior as the game's loader? Is there a way to load the entries from a certain mod directory only?

They don't do any merging. The intention here is to enable mods to provide their own data files. If you try to load a file that's present in multiple mods, it'll grab the first one it finds.

• If I'm reading the notes right, sector messages are now system-specific. Is there a way to broadcast directly to the player, or would we need to use sector.getPlayerFleet().getContainingLocation() to broadcast to the current system?

The "system specific" logic is applied before calling addMessage(), not within addMessage().

• I apologize as this one's more of a feature request than a question, but since we can't guarantee that a system's spawn points will be called on a certain frame, could we have a plugin with a universal advance() and access to this frame's InputEventAPIs? I suppose we could just use an invisible CustomUIPanelPlugin, but that seems a bit hack-ish.

If you add an EveryFrameScript to the SectorAPI, it'll run every frame. If you add it to a LocationAPI, it'll run every frame the location's advance() runs.

• Is there a chance you'd be willing to release the new api.jar once you've reached the bugfixing stage and aren't adding any new features to .6a? While we wouldn't be able to test our work in-game, it'd be great to get a jump start on updating our mods with the massive API changes so they'll be ready when the update is released. :)

I don't see why not, with the caveat that things probably would change somewhat, since I tend to add some last-minute modding stuff before a release goes out.

BrickedKeyboard

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: August 25, 2013, 12:46:47 AM »

Will you have to manually assign tugs to ships?  Or will it be automatic?  (since the algorithm to do it automatically is trivially, just hook to the slowest ship in your fleet that can accept a tug and doesn't have too many tugs already connected)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: August 25, 2013, 02:38:13 AM »

Will you have to manually assign tugs to ships?  Or will it be automatic?  (since the algorithm to do it automatically is trivially, just hook to the slowest ship in your fleet that can accept a tug and doesn't have too many tugs already connected)
It's automatic, like you said.  Slowest ship.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: August 25, 2013, 06:38:25 AM »

I don't see why not, with the caveat that things probably would change somewhat, since I tend to add some last-minute modding stuff before a release goes out.

Even so, last-minute changes wouldnt have that much of an impact, its not like not used to have methods change left and right when coding  :)

pablo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: August 27, 2013, 12:27:54 AM »

Is there any way to add some sort marine/bording friget? A marine pod launcher? Or docking attachment to force board a ship during battle? For hit and run purposes or capture/retreat ?

And can you add a Out of combat phase/clock system ? To hide your fleet size on campaing map ?
This would be very cool for next update.

And i have a another idea.

It is little silly for me to first call a carrier in to caombat and the fighter wings or viceversa. Can you add option to assign a wing to a carrier and call it into battle with incresed command points ?

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: August 27, 2013, 03:44:16 AM »

Hey pablo, if you want to make suggestion that are not directly related to the latest patch notes update, please do so in the suggestion subforum.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: August 27, 2013, 08:52:11 AM »

• Phase ships:
    • +50 speed/improved acceleration while phased
Oh hey.  Are these stats moddable?  Does the level 5 helmsmanship perk improve speed while phased?
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: August 28, 2013, 02:16:41 AM »

unlikely that one bonuses will improve other bonuses, especially flat vs percent, in other case this will trigger race condition with unpredictable result.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: August 28, 2013, 08:40:20 AM »

• Phase ships:
    • +50 speed/improved acceleration while phased
Oh hey.  Are these stats moddable?  Does the level 5 helmsmanship perk improve speed while phased?

It's moddable - done the same way other systems apply stat changes. The helmsmanship perk is unrelated to this.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 71