Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 71

Author Topic: Starsector 0.6a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 553357 times)

BrickedKeyboard

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.6a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #615 on: August 18, 2013, 07:43:21 PM »

How will Tugboats be used?  I seemed to have missed to post that explains what they are for.

When you board a ship and capture it, or if a ship gets below a certain amount of C.R., will it not have working engines?  Is that what tugs are for?

Or is to speed up slow ships in hyperspace/In system travel?

If there's a mechanic to assign ships to tow others, does this mean that any ship with the relevant property can be a tugboard?  (cue every OP modded super capital ship having a tow cable as well as a flight deck as usual)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: August 18, 2013, 07:47:50 PM »

The Tugs will help with Hyperspace travel.  I'm not quite sure of in-system travel, though - I don't think it does anything there.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: August 18, 2013, 07:59:42 PM »

wait wat?

tugs increase max burn, which is the intra system travel drive, no?
mmm.... tartiflette

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: August 19, 2013, 02:42:47 AM »

Boys, boys, how come you don't have a photographic memory of every little thing Alex said, ever? I am disappointed.

It's both:
Travel speed and combat speed are now completely separate - there's a "maximum burn" stat, a value from 1 to 10 that determines travel speed. Normal and hyper travel speed are at this point the same, though I can see adding a stat to differentiate those at some point.

Which leads me to the question: 10 is the maximum number without any bonuses, right? Navigation skill or something of the like can bring it to 11 and beyond?

I see what you're saying. Basically, 100% LR can mean a range of things, which is why there's also a bar indicating just how much logistics capacity is being used. 10/20 and 20/20 are both 100%, but the first one means there's 10 supply units worth of headroom. So, if you're at 20/20 (or above), only emergency repair are possible. If you're at 10/20, emergency + 10 repairs are possible.

Then let me ask, Alex: Why not allow the LR rating to go above 100%? A value of more than 100% means that you've got repair capability to spare, exactly 100% means most likely that you are doing some heavy repair but are otherwise fine, and below 100% indicates a need to intervene.

You once wrote:

First of all, the logistical situation in the fleet is reduced to a single number. How it got there is another matter, but it’s very easy to see how you’re doing at a glance.

Which I very much liked and which would be a shame to macerate into two numbers without real need.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 03:09:09 AM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: August 19, 2013, 03:35:01 AM »

I very much enjoy all this conversation around the new mechanics, but feel hopelessly out of touch with how they will actually work - I feel like on the wrong end of some joke - where everybody else is PRETENDING they know what they are talking about.

Basically, I can't wait to actually play it all and finally figure it out :D

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

SainnQ

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: August 19, 2013, 04:23:16 AM »

This is probably going to sound stupid.

But are we actually allowed to download In-Dev updates to Starsector?

Not In Dev mods, but the stuff Alex is working on currently.

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: August 19, 2013, 05:37:48 AM »

You arent disallowed.

go ahead ::)

edit: I admit it, this post has been significantly unhelpful
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 10:47:27 AM by Mattk50 »

SainnQ

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: August 19, 2013, 06:26:27 AM »

You arent disallowed.

Edit; So does the download link for the client on the buy page not include the hyperspace changes etc? That's what I wanted to get a peak at
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 06:40:08 AM by SainnQ »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: August 19, 2013, 07:59:27 AM »

You arent disallowed.

Edit; So does the download link for the client on the buy page not include the hyperspace changes etc? That's what I wanted to get a peak at
Mattk50's answer was entirely unhelpful - there is no such download to be found.  We'll get .6 when it's ready, and not before.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: August 19, 2013, 09:15:41 AM »

Then let me ask, Alex: Why not allow the LR rating to go above 100%? A value of more than 100% means that you've got repair capability to spare, exactly 100% means most likely that you are doing some heavy repair but are otherwise fine, and below 100% indicates a need to intervene.

You once wrote:

First of all, the logistical situation in the fleet is reduced to a single number. How it got there is another matter, but it’s very easy to see how you’re doing at a glance.

Which I very much liked and which would be a shame to macerate into two numbers without real need.

You could let it go above 100%, but I think that implies you actually being better off when it's >100%, while there's no actual bonus for that. "100%" is actually more representative of the immediate logistical situation. I don't think it's a huge difference either way, but my preference is for capping it at 100%.

There's a progress bar right next to the rating, so I think it's all quite clear, at least once you figure out how the whole thing works. I expect it might be a little difficult to grasp right away if you've had no prior exposure to the ideas, though. Going to have lots of tooltips to help with that.

Basically, the bar is the raw, "real" number, while the % rating is a quick distillation of the effect it actually has. That bit of the UI isn't fully wrapped up yet, though.

I very much enjoy all this conversation around the new mechanics, but feel hopelessly out of touch with how they will actually work - I feel like on the wrong end of some joke - where everybody else is PRETENDING they know what they are talking about.

Basically, I can't wait to actually play it all and finally figure it out :D

:D

Mattk50's answer was entirely unhelpful - there is no such download to be found.  We'll get .6 when it's ready, and not before.

Right!

Madgamer13

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: August 19, 2013, 11:25:58 AM »

If I understand Alex's explanation of the logistics system, it isn't a percentage on repair systems alone, but the supplies used to support all the systems of a fleet.  If you think of logistics from the standpoint of repair parts, food for crew, munitions for ship weapons and so forth, you can place a percentage of how efficiently these items are being distributed around the fleet.

A logistics rating of 100% would dictate that the crew is sufficiently moving all the fleet's resources for maximum effect around the current size of the fleet.  A larger fleet would possibly increase fleet logistics capacity, while increasing the demands of the logistics system appropriately, requiring more crew to manage the efficiency of resource movement within a fleet.  The actual percentage for fleet logistics would never go beyond maximum efficiency for current fleet and crew setup however.

I like this idea, a logistics rating tied to crew can mean that casualties really mean something if the fleet finds it harder to keep their ships operational due to lack of crew.  Lose enough crew and your huge stockpile of supplies wont really matter, since it can't move on it's own.

Am I anywhere close to your ideal of a logistics system, Alex?

I'm looking forward to the next patch and content release. :]

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: August 20, 2013, 03:48:53 PM »

Spoiler
If I understand Alex's explanation of the logistics system, it isn't a percentage on repair systems alone, but the supplies used to support all the systems of a fleet.  If you think of logistics from the standpoint of repair parts, food for crew, munitions for ship weapons and so forth, you can place a percentage of how efficiently these items are being distributed around the fleet.

A logistics rating of 100% would dictate that the crew is sufficiently moving all the fleet's resources for maximum effect around the current size of the fleet.  A larger fleet would possibly increase fleet logistics capacity, while increasing the demands of the logistics system appropriately, requiring more crew to manage the efficiency of resource movement within a fleet.  The actual percentage for fleet logistics would never go beyond maximum efficiency for current fleet and crew setup however.

I like this idea, a logistics rating tied to crew can mean that casualties really mean something if the fleet finds it harder to keep their ships operational due to lack of crew.  Lose enough crew and your huge stockpile of supplies wont really matter, since it can't move on it's own.

Am I anywhere close to your ideal of a logistics system, Alex?
[close]

Hi there!

You've mostly got it, though adding more crew doesn't improve your logistics rating - that's actually governed by your character's skills. Some crew is required to take advantage of the logistics stat, though - at the moment, that's set to 1 crew/marine per point. That represents needing people to coordinate stuff, pilot supply shuttles, that sort of thing. It's not exactly a major consideration, though, since almost any fleet is going to meet those requirements.

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: August 20, 2013, 04:09:14 PM »

Hi there!

You've mostly got it, though adding more crew doesn't improve your logistics rating - that's actually governed by your character's skills. Some crew is required to take advantage of the logistics stat, though - at the moment, that's set to 1 crew/marine per point. That represents needing people to coordinate stuff, pilot supply shuttles, that sort of thing. It's not exactly a major consideration, though, since almost any fleet is going to meet those requirements.

Just as a minor question, so if we have a 0 crew fleet (unmanned) we'll be unable to repair or will the logistics stat have a bare minimum even when undermanned?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: August 20, 2013, 04:10:29 PM »

Emergency repairs don't count against it, and you start out with a base capability in that. Also, you count as 1 crew :)

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: August 20, 2013, 05:15:12 PM »

so considering their purpose does this make the tugs one of the fastest ships in the game currently? (not including strike craft)

No, they're on the lower end of the frigate class as far as speed, in both travel and combat. About the only frigate they might be hauling around is the Brawler.

Good to see that the Brawler is still more-or-less a slow-as-molasses joke ship.  My entire Starsector worldview was shaken when the Omen became viable.

I can just imagine the Brawler being towed around by Tugs, using up all that fuel, and STILL being unable to actually catch anything in battle that can't swat it down like a fly.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 71