Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 71

Author Topic: Starsector 0.6a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 553431 times)

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.6a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #585 on: August 16, 2013, 12:11:28 AM »

Fantastic, as soon as this hits I'll probably end up modding again :)
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: August 16, 2013, 02:27:43 AM »

Adjusted base travel speed (increased)
Removed travel speed bonus for not being near a planet

Any special reason for this or just streamlining?
Does that result in a net increase or decrease of inter-planet travel speed?

Available in Askonia, other places

Oho!

Repair mechanics:

"Emergency repairs" fleetwide stat; starts at 5, supply use for these repairs doesn't affect logistics
    Maximum total repairs performed (in supplies/day) are emergency repairs + unused logistics capacity (i.e. if "emergency repairs" are at 5, and the logistics use is 10/25, maximum total repairs per day are 20.)

When looking at the Logistics Rating, isn't that a tiny bit confusing? If I get this correctly, you could have 99% or even (just) 100% LR and your fleet could only do emergency repairs. Which is not what 100% LR would imply to a new player. Or can you somehow force your fleet to exceed the LR with repairs? Uh...or is that was it does normally, and you can forbid it?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 06:47:02 AM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: August 16, 2013, 02:46:52 AM »

hmm... I was wondering why it didn't just say Corvus...

could it be?
mmm.... tartiflette

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #588 on: August 16, 2013, 02:58:48 AM »

Great news about built-in hull mods! Also a construction rig and tow - man the sound are cool. I imagine how modding community will burst with lots of grav boats and mechanoid factions when 0.6a comes out...

What i wonder about - have you looked into convoys not delivering RESOURCE type resources to bases ( i mean those that are added through 'addItem')? And these RESOURCE type items are also not being salvageable, which is not good :)

mercy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: August 16, 2013, 05:21:26 AM »

Wow two years since 0.34. You are definitely taking your time!

Psigun

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: August 16, 2013, 09:34:14 AM »

Sounds great, I'm waiting with bated breath. I love how non-combat mechanics are starting to trickle into the design with mechanics like towing and construction rigs.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: August 16, 2013, 10:08:35 AM »

• Hulls can now have built-in hullmods
Awesome!
  • Added PD_ONLY weapon hint
More Awesome!
  • MutableStat getBeamDamageTakenMult();
  • MutableStat getMissileDamageTakenMult();
  • MutableStat getProjectileDamageTakenMult(); // non-missile, non-dps
  • MutableStat getEnergyDamageTakenMult();
  • MutableStat getKineticDamageTakenMult();
  • MutableStat getHighExplosiveDamageTakenMult();
  • MutableStat getFragmentationDamageTakenMult();
Does this mean we can now change how the damage types work?  Maybe make a ship where high explosive damage deals 200% to shields but only 50% to armor?
  • Added ScopeDescription.ALL_FIGHTERS
Yay!
  • "Deflection" (Evasive Action level 10 perk) now correctly reduces damage taken instead of doubling it. Ouch.
And this one, I think, speaks to how powerful the level 5 Evasive Action perk is, and how unimportant the base ability of the skill is.  Were I redesigning skills, I'd swap those - make it so each level of evasive action grants +7.5% maneuverability, and the level 5 perk is 50% reduced damage to engines.  If this were a skill that people regularly put ten points in, someone would (hopefully!) have noticed this before now.

Mmm, finally a pd hint that only makes it hit missiles
Yeah, that's great.  

But are we going to get a similar flag to tell certain weapons not to engage those targets (unless the PD flag is set via script)?  That's definitely on my wish-list, personally; tired of watching weapons try to kill drones instead of killing the mothership.  

Does the fighter-PD state cover Drones as well?  If not, it really should, since they have the same issues.
I'm pretty sure weapons set as "Strike" won't target fighters.  (Or frigates?  Not sure...)  Could be mistaken, though, but there's at least something in the system that prevents the AI from, say, using torpedos against fighters.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 10:16:51 AM by Wyvern »
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: August 16, 2013, 10:32:16 AM »

I'm pretty sure weapons set as "Strike" won't target fighters.  (Or frigates?  Not sure...)  Could be mistaken, though, but there's at least something in the system that prevents the AI from, say, using torpedos against fighters.
STRIKE causes the AI to use the weapon in pretty specific ways, unfortunately.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: August 16, 2013, 11:19:40 AM »

does that mean you have added tug boats?

Right, the Ox-class Tug.

It's nice to finally see some of those old ships in the graphics folder be put into the game. Especially interesting is how they're useful only in the campaign, rather than combat. Would be cool if you could find a way to re-purpose those munition ships in a similar way; I've always loved their sprites. Maybe they could give a fleet-wide CR bonus by providing efficient supply distribution, or something.

Yeah, that could definitely work.

Also, any chance of a screenshot of the new star graphics?

Not quite yet, the graphics may get another pass, though it was "ready" enough to mention in the notes.

And just wondering, would the Tug/ Navigation skills, only make ships travel between systems faster only? ( means uses fuel faster but gets there faster)

The tug affects both in-system and hyperspace travel. Though in-system it doesn't use fuel.

But are we going to get a similar flag to tell certain weapons not to engage those targets (unless the PD flag is set via script)?  That's definitely on my wish-list, personally; tired of watching weapons try to kill drones instead of killing the mothership. 

Maybe. Definitely not in 0.6a, though.

Does the fighter-PD state cover Drones as well?  If not, it really should, since they have the same issues.

If the drone is a fighter, yes. Which is pretty much always the case.

Adjusted base travel speed (increased)
Removed travel speed bonus for not being near a planet

Any special reason for this or just streamlining?
Does that result in a net increase or decrease of inter-planet travel speed?

More just streamlining/preparing for some future stuff. Right now it's about the same in terms of actual speed, maybe a bit faster near planets and a bit slower away from them.

Available in Askonia, other places

Oho!

"Other places" was just my way of saying boardable, delivered to stations randomly, etc.

Repair mechanics:

"Emergency repairs" fleetwide stat; starts at 5, supply use for these repairs doesn't affect logistics
    Maximum total repairs performed (in supplies/day) are emergency repairs + unused logistics capacity (i.e. if "emergency repairs" are at 5, and the logistics use is 10/25, maximum total repairs per day are 20.)

When looking at the Logistics Rating, isn't that a tiny bit confusing? If I get this correctly, you could have 99% or even (just) 100% LR and your fleet could only do emergency repairs. Which is not what 100% LR would imply to a new player. Or can you somehow force your fleet to exceed the LR with repairs? Uh...or is that was it does normally, and you can forbid it?

I see what you're saying. Basically, 100% LR can mean a range of things, which is why there's also a bar indicating just how much logistics capacity is being used. 10/20 and 20/20 are both 100%, but the first one means there's 10 supply units worth of headroom. So, if you're at 20/20 (or above), only emergency repair are possible. If you're at 10/20, emergency + 10 repairs are possible.

The control over this consists of designating ships as a logistical priority and suspending repairs. Presumably, repairs are a complex enough business logsitically that you can't push it beyond a certain point and get results. (Did consider + try having direct control over repair expenditures, but it was pretty much a chore and didn't bring much of interest to the table, never mind extra UI stuff.)

What i wonder about - have you looked into convoys not delivering RESOURCE type resources to bases ( i mean those that are added through 'addItem')? And these RESOURCE type items are also not being salvageable, which is not good :)

Yeah, that should be fixed. Didn't test it, but...

Does this mean we can now change how the damage types work?  Maybe make a ship where high explosive damage deals 200% to shields but only 50% to armor?

Hmm. This brings up an interesting point, the way these are set up affects *all* damage taken. Which isn't all that interesting; a hullmod such as "ablative armor" wouldn't want to reduce damage taken by shields, for example, and it seems that would come up in most cases.

So, just added:
MutableStat getBeamShieldDamageTakenMult();
MutableStat getMissileShieldDamageTakenMult();
MutableStat getProjectileShieldDamageTakenMult();
MutableStat getEnergyShieldDamageTakenMult();
MutableStat getKineticShieldDamageTakenMult();
MutableStat getHighExplosiveShieldDamageTakenMult();
MutableStat getFragmentationShieldDamageTakenMult();

And made the original methods apply to both hull and armor. Ideally, there'd perhaps be a way to separate armor and hull here too, but that's a little more involved.

• "Deflection" (Evasive Action level 10 perk) now correctly reduces damage taken instead of doubling it. Ouch.
And this one, I think, speaks to how powerful the level 5 Evasive Action perk is, and how unimportant the base ability of the skill is.  Were I redesigning skills, I'd swap those - make it so each level of evasive action grants +7.5% maneuverability, and the level 5 perk is 50% reduced damage to engines.  If this were a skill that people regularly put ten points in, someone would (hopefully!) have noticed this before now.

You know, they actually started out reversed. I don't think it'd make a difference to the overall power of the skill, though, since if you have 10 points in it, you have all the effects in either case.

I've got half a mind to start a new thread about the combat skills, to get a feel for if there's a general consensus about things being mandatory/not worth it... probably wouldn't get to any serious balancing for 0.6a, but it might be good to get that conversation started regardless.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: August 16, 2013, 11:42:54 AM »

Hmm. This brings up an interesting point, the way these are set up affects *all* damage taken. Which isn't all that interesting; a hullmod such as "ablative armor" wouldn't want to reduce damage taken by shields, for example, and it seems that would come up in most cases.

So, just added:
MutableStat getBeamShieldDamageTakenMult();
MutableStat getMissileShieldDamageTakenMult();
MutableStat getProjectileShieldDamageTakenMult();
MutableStat getEnergyShieldDamageTakenMult();
MutableStat getKineticShieldDamageTakenMult();
MutableStat getHighExplosiveShieldDamageTakenMult();
MutableStat getFragmentationShieldDamageTakenMult();

And made the original methods apply to both hull and armor. Ideally, there'd perhaps be a way to separate armor and hull here too, but that's a little more involved.
Neat!  And, yes, some way to separate armor and hull damage taken would be nice, but even just this opens up a lot of interesting options.

You know, they actually started out reversed. I don't think it'd make a difference to the overall power of the skill, though, since if you have 10 points in it, you have all the effects in either case.

I've got half a mind to start a new thread about the combat skills, to get a feel for if there's a general consensus about things being mandatory/not worth it... probably wouldn't get to any serious balancing for 0.6a, but it might be good to get that conversation started regardless.
That would be an interesting thread; for an example, I strongly prefer to use shield-tank-y ships, preferably with 360 degree shields, at which point... well, you can see how that would lead to feeling that the Evasive Action skill is only worth taking for its level five perk.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 11:44:39 AM by Wyvern »

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: August 16, 2013, 11:51:08 AM »

Neat!  And, yes, some way to separate armor and hull damage taken would be nice, but even just this opens up a lot of interesting options.
+1; so glad to see armor / shield damage got separated out :)

Bummer, really tired of watching slow turrets try to engage stuff they'll never hit while ignoring stuff they're designed to kill.  I don't suppose STRIKE + USE_VS_FRIGATES could do that?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 12:08:15 PM by xenoargh »
Xeno's Mod Pack

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: August 16, 2013, 12:10:33 PM »

Bummer, really tired of watching slow turrets try to engage stuff they'll never hit while ignoring stuff they're designed to kill.  I don't suppose STRIKE + USE_VS_FRIGATES could do that?
Well, there's also the overkill solution of writing your own autofire AI for those guns.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: August 16, 2013, 12:44:09 PM »

Which I'll probably do; actually, if the AI just has to set a CombatEntity as the target and the rest of the gun's behavior is controlled by the engine unless overridden by a behavior script, it should be fairly trivial, the only issue being getting whether a target is in the valid arc segment for the weapon- not quite sure how to do that math :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Rec

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: August 17, 2013, 09:12:29 AM »

Ha, I have to check daily, it's my duty as a moderator. So, I'm not crazy for the game!  It's not as if I just became a moderator because I was checking daily for updates anyway...

To make checking a bit easier for everyone: Closed until the next update arrives.
somehow, when i read that, first thing that came to mind was "watch out guys, we have a tsundere mod over here"

glad to see the advances and improvements, loved playing this game and cant wait to return to try the new things, will have to make a thread later about how/where to download as well as i need to find my game key...

xanderh

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: August 17, 2013, 09:21:15 AM »

glad to see the advances and improvements, loved playing this game and cant wait to return to try the new things, will have to make a thread later about how/where to download as well as i need to find my game key...

Keep in mind that the update isn't out yet. It probably won't be for a little while.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 71