Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 71

Author Topic: Starsector 0.6a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 553346 times)

grmp

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.6a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #540 on: August 03, 2013, 02:30:08 PM »

@Foxer360

thanks so 0.54a still the latest release it seems

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: August 03, 2013, 02:45:01 PM »

@Foxer360

thanks so 0.54a still the latest release it seems

That's right. We are expecting an update relatively soon, though.

Welcome to the forum btw :)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: August 05, 2013, 02:48:45 PM »

Hm... A thought on the AI modding - this means we'll be able to actually make an AI that doesn't have issues with long skinny ships, doesn't it?

Alex, is it possible to replace just the "range from weapon to target" part of the existing AI, or will we have to re-implement the whole thing?  If the latter, is the code for the default AI going to be available to provide a starting point?
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 05, 2013, 03:17:58 PM »

Hm... A thought on the AI modding - this means we'll be able to actually make an AI that doesn't have issues with long skinny ships, doesn't it?

Right, in theory.

Alex, is it possible to replace just the "range from weapon to target" part of the existing AI, or will we have to re-implement the whole thing?

Only for autofire, since that can be set per-weapon and plugs into the existing AI.

If the latter, is the code for the default AI going to be available to provide a starting point?

No. It's really not in any shape for that. I see full general-purpose AI modding as something that would mostly be the domain of total conversions, anyway. You'd also have to write custom AI for all the ship systems - since custom system AI is a plugin to the default AI, and if that is replaced, well.

Writing ship AI is just an involved process, and the patch notes touch on that a bit.

(Another use case is custom AI for specific ships, rather than a blanket replacement for all ships. I'd imagine this would be much simpler, and could enable some neat things.)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: August 05, 2013, 03:31:07 PM »

Hm... Does the main AI use the autofire AI at all when deciding how far it wants to be from its target?  Or is the autofire AI just a compartmentalized "how & at whom do I fire this one gun" sort of thing?  If the former, just changing autofire behavior would be fine.  If the latter... I guess I'll have to see how good a general AI I can make.  Should be entertaining at least!
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 05, 2013, 03:38:23 PM »

It's the latter :)

Ravendarke

• Captain
  • Nemesis
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: August 05, 2013, 04:50:25 PM »

About that AI, so.. will it be possible to make, for example, specific ship more aggresive? I mean rushing to its optimal range, not trying to avoid enemy all the time, stop backpaddeling from tachyons lance range and such?

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: August 05, 2013, 06:29:57 PM »

No. It's really not in any shape for that. I see full general-purpose AI modding as something that would mostly be the domain of total conversions, anyway. You'd also have to write custom AI for all the ship systems - since custom system AI is a plugin to the default AI, and if that is replaced, well.
But that's just a plugin, right? So just a one-liner to stick it back in the loop, but the Big Question then becomes where in the loop it executes?
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: August 05, 2013, 06:48:51 PM »

It's not - the implementation of vanilla ship system AI relies on data already computed by the base AI (threat/ship state/etc), in addition to stuff that's passed in via the ShipSystemAIScript interface. I might add a way to retrieve modded system AI scripts to the API, though... but, your ship AI would then have to use/respect the ShipwideAIFlags that's passed in to the system AI script at creation.

Basically, system AI scripts, despite being plugins, aren't completely separate from the rest of the AI because they need to talk to each other to make more sensible decisions. In the case of core implementations, they are tied more directly for coding convenience and performance reasons.

Edit: or are you talking about the ship AI itself? The above is assuming you were asking "but can't we just stick ship system AI back in somehow?"

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 05, 2013, 06:52:23 PM »

Mmm, now that I've seen some of it, there isn't a way to separate hyperspace speed from fleet speed is there?
That or moddable lol

Ie, have some special cargo ships that have exceptional hyperspace speed ( buffalo 1 ? ) while having real mediocre combat speed.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: August 05, 2013, 06:56:38 PM »

Travel speed and combat speed are now completely separate - there's a "maximum burn" stat, a value from 1 to 10 that determines travel speed. Normal and hyper travel speed are at this point the same, though I can see adding a stat to differentiate those at some point.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: August 05, 2013, 08:59:21 PM »

(@xenoargh: Responded; moved here as it's starting to get a bit too technical/off-topic for this.)

Movementcat

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: August 07, 2013, 01:16:16 PM »

Release it finally ! :-(

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: August 07, 2013, 10:23:23 PM »

So, my current mod will be broken? The file structure will have to be changed, right? Ok, on a scale of 1 to 10, how many things will be broken? Gah, I'm such a noob.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: August 07, 2013, 10:44:45 PM »

So, my current mod will be broken? The file structure will have to be changed, right? Ok, on a scale of 1 to 10, how many things will be broken? Gah, I'm such a noob.

Some things will be broken, mostly to do with campaign scripts. Things like ship and weapon data will be just fine, though. Unless your weapons are relying on core sounds; those might have to be adjusted, but that's a pretty simple change.

Basically, I'm taking some care not to break things, and certainly not to break them without at least a half-decent reason :)
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 71