Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 71

Author Topic: Starsector 0.6a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 553350 times)

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.6a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #405 on: July 12, 2013, 11:35:32 AM »

Cant wait for this to come out! Finally I can start a new campaign. The one I have now is so repetitive and stompy that I don't even bother anymore.

This version has been around for a really long time, the last release was in December :s

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 12, 2013, 11:49:23 AM »

I'd just like to know - how easy is it to implement a new system via mods right now, alex? And how straight-forward is that part of the code?

No much more complex than defining Corvus. It's basically the same thing, except there's a step where you define where in hyperspace the system goes.

Yep, got ninja'd by alex just as i was posting. Oh well, that gives me my answer.

Talkie Toaster

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 12, 2013, 02:44:59 PM »

All of these questions might be answered in the blog post, but...

So it sounds like there will be two methods of travel between systems: wormholes and jumping. I'm guessing wormholes are naturally occurring phenomenon - are hyperspace jumps dependent upon "jump gates" or something similar, or can ships just jump independently more like star wars? I'm curious to know if there will be a way of locking down a system and preventing ships from jumping in or out.
That's more an issue of terminology, I'm using "wormhole" and "jump point" somewhat interchangeably. Ships have to use a jump point to transition, though that doesn't imply that it's a man-made construction - rather, a naturally-occuring phenomenon.
So fluffwise, how does this tie into the gates? Can we only access a local 'bubble' of hyperspace through wormholes and need gates to get out into the wider hyperspace pool?

Can we build smaller gates to create artificial wormholes into systems that don't have any natural exits? Will all/some systems have multiple exit points, so 1-exit ones are easier to defend?
Actually, if we can move around hyperspace like the system map will we be able to intercept other fleets eventually or is that not possible?

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 12, 2013, 05:10:12 PM »

I plan to hold my questions for now. Right now we know barely anything, which means the questions we'd be asking at this point will most likely be explained in the upcoming blog post on the subject. Once we have a better understanding of how it will work, we can ask better, informed questions to fill in the gaps.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 12, 2013, 05:41:35 PM »

All of these questions might be answered in the blog post, but...

-snip
-snipsnip-
-snipsnipsnip-
From the sounds of it, travel will work much like a game I've been shown recently, Freelancer. Naturally occuring wormholes that lead to other systems which ships can utilise.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 12, 2013, 06:18:31 PM »

So fluffwise, how does this tie into the gates?

Gates just take you somewhere that's really far, even through hyperspace.

Can we build smaller gates to create artificial wormholes into systems that don't have any natural exits? Will all/some systems have multiple exit points, so 1-exit ones are easier to defend?

We'll see. That kind of stuff is under consideration.

Actually, if we can move around hyperspace like the system map will we be able to intercept other fleets eventually or is that not possible?

Yeah, I'd rather expect that's how it's going to work. That's how it works right now.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 12, 2013, 06:20:26 PM »

So, how will the lore fare with the update?  In the base lore, it said that the, "gates were silent."

:P
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 06:24:51 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Ember

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 12, 2013, 06:32:23 PM »

So, how will the lore fare with the update?  In the base lore, it said that the, "gates were silent."

:P

gates as i understand it are links between sectors, while wormholes are in sector only, unless there is a really long chain of wormholes leading out of sector

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 12, 2013, 06:43:30 PM »

"local" travel amongst systems simply requires the use of these wormholes. "non-local" travel amongst sectors requires Mass Effect-esque relays to throw you across the galaxy. The gates don't work, but the wormholes do because wormholes are natural and not man-made.
You know, I need to dig into the lore, is the situation with the gates something like EVE Online's lore of the EVE Gate? The EVE Gate linked back to the known galaxy after everything there was explored and settled. Settlers flooded the EVE galaxy until some sort of unknown event caused the gate to collapse, leaving tons of un sustainable colonies in the EVE galaxy stranded. As the colonies fell apart with only a few left with the resources to become sustainable, it took millennia before the settlers could reach a stage where they were capable of space travel again. Knowledge of the Milky Way that lay on the other side of the closed gate was lost by the time the colonies reached the timeframe that the game plays in, all the 4 Empires know is that it was what brought them to the EVE galaxy.

Is there something similar with Starsector? Was the Sector cut off by an event, leaving everyone stranded and over time the knowledge of how to use much of the technology was lost to the peoples?

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 12, 2013, 08:35:10 PM »

Duck ya, that is all.

Other than the fact that I love the way the game is coming together.

"local" travel amongst systems simply requires the use of these wormholes. "non-local" travel amongst sectors requires Mass Effect-esque relays to throw you across the galaxy. The gates don't work, but the wormholes do because wormholes are natural and not man-made.
You know, I need to dig into the lore, is the situation with the gates something like EVE Online's lore of the EVE Gate? The EVE Gate linked back to the known galaxy after everything there was explored and settled. Settlers flooded the EVE galaxy until some sort of unknown event caused the gate to collapse, leaving tons of un sustainable colonies in the EVE galaxy stranded. As the colonies fell apart with only a few left with the resources to become sustainable, it took millennia before the settlers could reach a stage where they were capable of space travel again. Knowledge of the Milky Way that lay on the other side of the closed gate was lost by the time the colonies reached the timeframe that the game plays in, all the 4 Empires know is that it was what brought them to the EVE galaxy.

Is there something similar with Starsector? Was the Sector cut off by an event, leaving everyone stranded and over time the knowledge of how to use much of the technology was lost to the peoples?

Kinda, nobody has the know-how to make new tech (think technological regression) but they know how to use what they have although that varies planet to planet. :)  The link that The Soldier posted has basicly all of the backstory for the game.
http://fractalsoftworks.com/2011/02/21/the-state-of-affairs/

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 13, 2013, 04:39:07 AM »

Just want to get this straight, (I'll do it with an example) so there's two wings of Talons, a Lasher frigate, and a Condor carrier.  I can't destroy the Talon wings so I decide to go right ahead and destroy the Condor.  I destroy one Talon wing (that is, all 4 fighters) and the entire enemy fleet decides to retreat.  On the campaign map, will that enemy fleet now have just a Lasher and a single Talon wing?  Or is that second Talon wing somehow still alive?

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 13, 2013, 05:34:53 AM »

Just want to get this straight, (I'll do it with an example) so there's two wings of Talons, a Lasher frigate, and a Condor carrier.  I can't destroy the Talon wings so I decide to go right ahead and destroy the Condor.  I destroy one Talon wing (that is, all 4 fighters) and the entire enemy fleet decides to retreat.  On the campaign map, will that enemy fleet now have just a Lasher and a single Talon wing?  Or is that second Talon wing somehow still alive?

If the losses happen in the order you describe, the enemy ends up with a Lasher and a Talon wing.

But if you take out a Talon wing first and then destroy the Condor before it finishes reproducing the first replacement Talon, it's not clear what happens. I guess the Talon wing is still lost?
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 13, 2013, 07:17:02 AM »

Well, I'll be! Another system coming up!

I'll be curious to see how the new fighter mechanics work out in practice, as well.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: July 13, 2013, 07:51:02 AM »

I'd go for the Talon wing is lost - just because you've got a hull with a half-built engine and no weapons doesn't mean you're still on the field. ;)
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 71