Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 71

Author Topic: Starsector 0.6a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 553345 times)

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.6a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #360 on: July 11, 2013, 03:03:45 PM »

Ok, so if every patch ticks us 0.01... 0.51, 0.52, 0.53, 0.54.... And now we're going to 0.6....Does that mean 6 major overhauls~?.... 0.55, CR... 0.56, fighter rework... 0.57, multi-sector travel..... So what's 0.58 through to 0.6?  :P

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: July 11, 2013, 03:05:39 PM »

Am i allowed to smash my keyboard for this occasion?

no?

I'll find my own way out, thank you gothars.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: July 11, 2013, 03:10:10 PM »

So wait, do fighters affect travel? Do they have travel drives?

Presumably, they either go into hangars or just go alongside other ships (that actually activated the wormhole). Or they just aren't any different than ships in this regard.

Fighter travel is really more affected by having supplies for upkeep. Once that's taken care of, bothering with other requirements seems a bit petty (hence, hangar space being removed altogether).

Are you sure that's still just the jump from 0.54 to 0.6? It seems more like 0.54 to 0.7 to me.
Ok, so if every patch ticks us 0.01... 0.51, 0.52, 0.53, 0.54.... And now we're going to 0.6....Does that mean 6 major overhauls~?.... 0.55, CR... 0.56, fighter rework... 0.57, multi-sector travel..... So what's 0.58 through to 0.6?  :P

I wouldn't worry about the version numbers too much :) They're fairly random; about the only thing you can rely on is they'll keep going up.

Decer304

• Commander
  • Starsector starts with the letter "S"
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: July 11, 2013, 03:14:49 PM »

I knew that there would be a surprise for the wait. A whole new sector to play in. XD
"Kat, 6, push back the attack on Sword Base find out what we are dealing with"

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: July 11, 2013, 03:17:45 PM »

Well, that seemed to have made people's day over on the starsector chat.

Now for the rumour mills, speculation mills and other general "What if?" mills to kick it into overdrive.  :P
I think I'll just wait for the blog.

EDIT:
Ninja'd.
Nothing to add, though.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: July 11, 2013, 03:19:52 PM »

TIME TO DOMINATE THE STAR CLUSTER! ENGAGE WARP DRIVES!
Spoiler
[close]

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: July 11, 2013, 03:23:52 PM »

I knew that there would be a surprise for the wait. A whole new sector to play in. XD

Pet peeve: there is only one Sector. There are many star systems.

... I suspect this is a losing battle, though. The other day, Ivaylo called it a sector. /aneurism

leonvision

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: July 11, 2013, 03:26:23 PM »

so will we be getting this soon, or soon(TM)? if you know what i mean.

either way, nice to see a update on the development, definitely didnt expect to get more star systems on this update.

edit: sorry, someone had to ask, im getting anxious, it's been...half a year since the last update
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 03:31:01 PM by leonvision »
twitter: lagdotexe - mainly about gaming

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: July 11, 2013, 03:32:39 PM »

So another Star System  ;D

Finally it begins!  ;D
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: July 11, 2013, 03:36:10 PM »

Changes as of July 11, 2013

Hyperspace:
    • Jump points/wormholes for travel between star system and hyperspace
    • Travel through hyperspace to another system, same as in-system travel
    • Added new star system ("Askonia")
    • More details to come in the form of further patch notes and/or blog post

Yeeeeees!!

I don't suppose its ready enough to release an API? I think I speak for every single person here when I say that I have like 5 new star systems I want to make.

Fighter mechanics changes
      • Fighter wings can not be lost if there are any ships with a flight deck in the fleet
      • Without a ship with a flight deck, fighter wing losses can not be replaced even out-of-combat
      • Damaged fighters are repaired immediately (and at no cost), regardless of whether a flight deck is available
      [/li]
      [li]Hangar space removed[/li]

I'm glad the hangar space is gone - it would feel weird given how much fighters rely on carriers. Will the ships who had hangars be getting any buffs? The Vigilance and Hammerhead come to mind as ships that really benefited from supporting fighters.

CR-related:
    • Weapons/engines being disable no longer affects CR. Instead, taking hull damage does.

Does this include armor damage?

Miscellaneous:
      • Added "maximum burn" stat to ships; determines travel speed
        • Lowest value in fleet is used
        • No penalty for having many ships
          • Temporarily removed "Coordinated Maneuvers" skill
        • Added maximum travel speed to fleet tooltip in travel screen
    Huh. Well ok then, can't say I mind :D

Silver Silence

• Admiral
      • View Profile
    « Reply #370 on: July 11, 2013, 03:41:48 PM »

TIME TO DOMINATE THE STAR CLUSTER! ENGAGE WARP DRIVES!
    Spoiler
    [close]

Off-topic:
    Ooh, the ramming potential of that,  :P

On-topic:
    CR-related:
    • Weapons/engines being disable no longer affects CR. Instead, taking hull damage does.

Do frigates still "wear out" after a while in battle even with this new CR mechanic? I think this new way makes much more sense than a frigate's crew just falling asleep at the wheel after a couple minutes. Come on, men, stop drinking all that vodka and rum. Ugh. Those damn green rookies, what am I gonna do with them?

Gothars

• Global Moderator
    • Admiral
    • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #371 on: July 11, 2013, 03:48:32 PM »

Hyperspace:

Crazy Eddie points/wormholes for travel between star system and hyperspace
      Travel through hyperspace to another system, same as in-system travel
      Added new star system ("Askonia")
      More details to come in the form of further patch notes and/or blog post[/list]

:D

Will the hyperspace system be some kind of placeholder or are you aiming straight for the final implementation (with room for changes of course)?

Ships delivered to stations will randomly replace ships already at the station if the total number exceeds 50, items delivered to stations will randomly replace stacks already present at station if the total number exceeds 100
      Ensures the inventory doesn't stagnate

Potential problem: A ship you are saving money for gets replaced before you can buy it. Frustrating.
      Maybe add the option to "reserve" the ship so the station keeps it in stock?

Added "maximum burn" stat to ships; determines travel speed
      Lowest value in fleet is used
      No penalty for having many ships
      Hangar space removed

I very much like these simplifications.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
      • Admiral
        • View Profile
      « Reply #372 on: July 11, 2013, 03:57:33 PM »

I don't suppose its ready enough to release an API? I think I speak for every single person here when I say that I have like 5 new star systems I want to make.

Not quite. It's close to it, but not quite - still adding/changing things.

On a high level, though: you create JumpPointAPIs using Factory, and then place 'em inside a system. There's a method to auto-generate destination points for those in hyperspace, once you're done defining the system. Or you can do it all manually.

I'm glad the hangar space is gone - it would feel weird given how much fighters rely on carriers. Will the ships who had hangars be getting any buffs? The Vigilance and Hammerhead come to mind as ships that really benefited from supporting fighters.

No buffs. I don't think stuff is balanced finely enough to where a relatively minor change like that warrants "making up" for. One of these days, I'll get around to a balancing pass on ships, though :)

No - that'd be a bit harsh to ships that rely more on armor.

Do frigates still "wear out" after a while in battle even with this new CR mechanic? I think this new way makes much more sense than a frigate's crew just falling asleep at the wheel after a couple minutes. Come on, men, stop drinking all that vodka and rum. Ugh. Those damn green rookies, what am I gonna do with them?

Yes, this is totally unrelated. As far as frigate CR wearing down, look at it as system stresses - much like, say, running a car a too high an RPM for too long.

Will the hyperspace system be some kind of placeholder or are you aiming straight for the final implementation (with room for changes of course)?

Aiming for doing it "right", but perhaps not feature-complete. And, like you said, with room for changes. I feel good about the framework, though.

Ships delivered to stations will randomly replace ships already at the station if the total number exceeds 50, items delivered to stations will randomly replace stacks already present at station if the total number exceeds 100
      Ensures the inventory doesn't stagnate

Potential problem: A ship you are saving money for gets replaced before you can buy it. Frustrating.
      Maybe add the option to "reserve" the ship so the station keeps it in stock?

Yeah, that occurred to me. Write it off as "someone else bought it" :) I don't think the game should necessarily provide these kinds of guarantees, or ensure the success of your actions. Want to make sure you get that ship? Better hurry. On the flip side, there are FAR more ship and fighter deliveries.

Zaphide

• Admiral
        • View Profile
      « Reply #373 on: July 11, 2013, 04:56:26 PM »

Wow very cool :) (and not just the extra system!)

From your comment on no API for systems does this mean we (modders) will just have the two to play with? Not complaining at all btw, I was quite happy with one! Haha!

How does it handle *stuff* happening in the system your not in? As in, does everything (fleets, spawnpoints) keep running their advance()? Or does it pause and then 'catch up' when the player switches over?

PCCL

• Admiral
      • still gunnyfreak
        • View Profile
      « Reply #374 on: July 11, 2013, 04:59:09 PM »

oh ****, so that's what you been up to... nice!

is Askonia also manually defined? Or are we going to procedural generation already?

also this is probably gonna be covered by a blog in a bit but I feel like asking anyway: How does the hyperspace work? Do you go into a wormhole to get to a "interstellar map" and then it's intra-system style traveling from there?
      « Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 05:04:39 PM by gunnyfreak »
      mmm.... tartiflette
      Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 71