Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 71

Author Topic: Starsector 0.6a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 553319 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.6a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #345 on: June 15, 2013, 07:35:29 PM »

Auto-resolve is not fun, but neither is powerlessness from lack of levels.  Auto-resolve abuse is the lesser of two evils for me.

I hope fighting everything as it is now will remain viable, though seeing alternative non-combat options would be nice for those less bloodthirsty.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 07:41:24 PM by Megas »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 15, 2013, 10:18:40 PM »

Hmm I'm in a very different position from Megas - I hardly ever auto (when a tiny fleet suicides me is pretty much it). Then again, I see the first few (15?) levels to be the only really fun parts of the game atm, and I don't think I've ever gotten past 35. Until there is more to do in the game (and the AI gets skills as well) I don't really see the point.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 16, 2013, 02:00:03 AM »

If auto-resolve must go, I like to see experience gains from combat skyrocket to make level grinding less of a chore.  Even if auto-resolve stays, taking time to fight yourself should grant a massive experience bonus to discourage the use of auto-resolve for the sole purpose of power leveling.
I hope fighting everything as it is now will remain viable, though seeing alternative non-combat options would be nice for those less bloodthirsty.

First of all, welcome to the forum Megas!

I'd expect the role of combat in the overall campaign to change a lot. What you have now is indeed more or less a grind fest, all you can do is slay one fleet after the other and level up your character.

In the finished campaign combat will probably not even be worth it by itself, you are likely to lose money if you just attack a well armed enemy fleet without ulterior motive.
That's not to say that you can't focus on combat, there might well be occupation as mercenary or headhunter where other factions pay you to fight certain fights. As a pirate you'd probably focus on trade convoys and such, avoiding military as best you can.
Or you could invest in your own lucrative assets and then fight in order to protect them.

The point is, the individual battles will be rarer, matter more and the overall combat will thus feel much less grindy.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 16, 2013, 06:58:52 AM »

I have the most fun at the endgame, at the level 45+ range, smashing big fleets with a varied combination of overpowered ships.  I just wish there were more big fleets aside from Hegemony System Defense Fleets (Tri-Tachyon Security Detachments are not big enough).

I dislike early game because you start with junk equipment, limited hullmods, and too few OP to get everything you need.  Simulator (and some missions) can replicate early game conditions very well, but cannot replicate big fleet battles beyond that part of the game.  I can see early game being a bit fun, where you need to think a little to survive.  It is just too low powered for my tastes.

I hope the finished game will not punish you for excessive fighting, aside from making new enemies I wanted to fight anyway.  Non-combat stuff are the grinding, um... means to the fun stuff - fighting.  My plan for the game is to build up everything I need, declare war on the ENTIRE sector, fight everything, and win.  Why fight everything?  I get the most variety of opponents when all are the enemy.

BrickedKeyboard

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 16, 2013, 08:27:02 AM »

Alex, are you the only developer working on the next patch?  Do you have other projects going on besides Starfarer? 

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 16, 2013, 08:34:15 AM »

I have the most fun at the endgame, at the level 45+ range, smashing big fleets with a varied combination of overpowered ships.  I just wish there were more big fleets aside from Hegemony System Defense Fleets (Tri-Tachyon Security Detachments are not big enough).

I dislike early game because you start with junk equipment, limited hullmods, and too few OP to get everything you need.  Simulator (and some missions) can replicate early game conditions very well, but cannot replicate big fleet battles beyond that part of the game.  I can see early game being a bit fun, where you need to think a little to survive.  It is just too low powered for my tastes.

I hope the finished game will not punish you for excessive fighting, aside from making new enemies I wanted to fight anyway.  Non-combat stuff are the grinding, um... means to the fun stuff - fighting.  My plan for the game is to build up everything I need, declare war on the ENTIRE sector, fight everything, and win.  Why fight everything?  I get the most variety of opponents when all are the enemy.

Have you tried http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=1799.0 or http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6053.0

I prefer Exerelin myself, it gives the game a much needed dynamic campaign outside of combat where you can take over and lose stations to other factions.. And there are plenty of overpowered ships in that mod to play with, Personal favorite is the Neutrino Unsung Flagship.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 16, 2013, 08:45:13 AM »

The game is built around it's excellent combat engine.  It needs to keep fighting fun.

I'll agree that the early-game kinda sucks.  Being a single ship means that you have to run from almost everything until you get a couple kills, level up a few times, and can buy a ship that doesn't suck (IE: Usually a Tri-Tachyon one...).

I have fun in the late-game.  The mid-game kinda gets stale for me, though.  Unless I delay my good level-ups by "Wasting" points to increase my FP, I'm stuck with a tiny fleet and due to simple numbers, I can't take on the bigger fleets and have the epic battles I want.

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 16, 2013, 03:44:57 PM »

Discussing early-game and late-game is pointless as the current game is missing much of what the final game will have (trade, industry, etc).

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 16, 2013, 05:35:39 PM »

Alex, are you the only developer working on the next patch?  Do you have other projects going on besides Starfarer? 

I think he's the only one coding the game itself, and also pretty sure that he is only working on starsector.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 17, 2013, 01:36:53 AM »

I think he's the only one coding the game itself, and also pretty sure that he is only working on starsector.

Look at the Credits....

Alex Mosolov - dev and game design
David Baumgart - art game design
Ivaylo Kovatchev - lore game design coding
Matthew Steele - sound
Stian Stark - sound,music

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 17, 2013, 04:38:55 AM »

Look at the Credits....

Alex Mosolov - dev and game design
David Baumgart - art game design
Ivaylo Kovatchev - lore game design coding
Matthew Steele - sound
Stian Stark - sound,music

I didn't know that Ivaylo did coding and I totally forgot about the credits.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 17, 2013, 04:58:43 AM »

Well then, we seem to be through with the discussion about the latest patchnotes. Closed for now.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 11, 2013, 02:53:01 PM »

Updated.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 11, 2013, 02:59:34 PM »

WHOO!

So wait, do fighters affect travel? Do they have travel drives?
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

FloW

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 11, 2013, 03:01:51 PM »

Are you sure that's still just the jump from 0.54 to 0.6? It seems more like 0.54 to 0.7 to me.
"The point is, you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might just as well give in and save your sanity for later.''
- Ford Prefect, creator of the giraffe; a very long time ago
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 71