Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 71

Author Topic: Starsector 0.6a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 553411 times)

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.6a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #300 on: June 05, 2013, 08:38:11 AM »

From what you just posted, it sounds like you think it updated. It didn't ;)

I should've been more clear.  I hadn't been playing in a while.  I just updated from 0.51 to 0.54.1a and was talking about the changes between those two versions.

I just didn't wanna necro the old topic since this is the newest one.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 05, 2013, 09:36:54 AM »

Just started playing again and I'd like to mention something that Alex probably forgot:

After all the recent changes, a lot of the "Missions" (IE: Standalone battle scenarios) probably need to be re-examined and re-tuned.  With the new ship abilities, improved enemy AI, and balance changes to some weapons, some of the battles that were balanced before are now incredibly lopsided.

Hi, welcome back - long time!

Right. Tuning up (redoing, really) the missions is actually on my list :) It's not something I like to do often because it's a moving target; fine-tuning can be a waste when more things are going to change later anyway. But at this point - with the new deployment mechanics - it's just necessary. I might end up paring down the mission list a bit just to make the process more manageable.

Thanks for all the other feedback, too - it's good to see a "first impressions" style thing from someone that's been away for a while.

Reapy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 05, 2013, 04:19:04 PM »

For the autoresolve, probably just going to echo what others have said. Through out all my years of gaming on 4x and whatever else that had auto resolve functions I have ALWAYS avoided it when I cared about the results, and that is 95% of the time. Usually that stems from not knowing what autoresolve will do and not trusting it to account for it to play style of my units.

But having the button there for endless fly swatting missions is really good, like other's said, you are either huge with many armies/fleets (not sure if there will be multifleeting ) or you bumped into an army that is going to get smashed. It is sort of annoying to load up the battle sequence, deploy fleets, wait for them to close, start shooting them and chasing them down after, basically it offers no rewarding gameplay in any capacity.

But yeah having them AI know when they are outgunned via CR / Logistic points etc accurately and then fleeing 100% of the time (except if they are suicidal faction as you said) during those trivial encounters and then auto resolving the fleeing scenario only it would hopefully get rid of those painful situations.

Even if the lud faction there or whatever is crazy like that, that might contribute to the PITA of navigating their areas with having to constantly fight them, or you can perhaps keep their fleet sizes high enough that it won't ever be a boring smash fest, eg swatting3 scout ships is boring, but 10 of them, well, that is probably some fun fireworks.

For autoresolve values, I always thought it would be interesting to leave a spare pc running 24x7 putting together random fleet / loadouts/crew levels, running the fight sped up, then recording results. Then have it continue on forever in a monte carlo style simulation, eventually taking all that data during fight time such that you can find the closest match of the fleet loadouts in that data.

Since that would take forever, we really aught to set up a seti-online / folding@home distributed starsector autoresolve generator and put the world's computers to work crunching this important data. Clearly this is worth a couple month pause in development to get up and running, right? :)

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 05, 2013, 04:46:10 PM »

For the autoresolve, probably just going to echo what others have said. Through out all my years of gaming on 4x and whatever else that had auto resolve functions I have ALWAYS avoided it when I cared about the results, and that is 95% of the time. Usually that stems from not knowing what autoresolve will do and not trusting it to account for it to play style of my units.

But having the button there for endless fly swatting missions is really good, like other's said, you are either huge with many armies/fleets (not sure if there will be multifleeting ) or you bumped into an army that is going to get smashed. It is sort of annoying to load up the battle sequence, deploy fleets, wait for them to close, start shooting them and chasing them down after, basically it offers no rewarding gameplay in any capacity.

But yeah having them AI know when they are outgunned via CR / Logistic points etc accurately and then fleeing 100% of the time (except if they are suicidal faction as you said) during those trivial encounters and then auto resolving the fleeing scenario only it would hopefully get rid of those painful situations.

Even if the lud faction there or whatever is crazy like that, that might contribute to the PITA of navigating their areas with having to constantly fight them, or you can perhaps keep their fleet sizes high enough that it won't ever be a boring smash fest, eg swatting3 scout ships is boring, but 10 of them, well, that is probably some fun fireworks.

For autoresolve values, I always thought it would be interesting to leave a spare pc running 24x7 putting together random fleet / loadouts/crew levels, running the fight sped up, then recording results. Then have it continue on forever in a monte carlo style simulation, eventually taking all that data during fight time such that you can find the closest match of the fleet loadouts in that data.

Since that would take forever, we really aught to set up a seti-online / folding@home distributed starsector autoresolve generator and put the world's computers to work crunching this important data. Clearly this is worth a couple month pause in development to get up and running, right? :)

completely worth it and I'm already running seti so I will help with this vital task!

flashydragon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 05, 2013, 11:33:31 PM »

completely worth it and I'm already running seti so I will help with this vital task!

Eheheheheheehee...This is the universe. This is the universe on StarSector. :o

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 06, 2013, 12:38:26 AM »

Just started playing again and I'd like to mention something that Alex probably forgot:

After all the recent changes, a lot of the "Missions" (IE: Standalone battle scenarios) probably need to be re-examined and re-tuned.  With the new ship abilities, improved enemy AI, and balance changes to some weapons, some of the battles that were balanced before are now incredibly lopsided.

Hi, welcome back - long time!

Right. Tuning up (redoing, really) the missions is actually on my list :) It's not something I like to do often because it's a moving target; fine-tuning can be a waste when more things are going to change later anyway. But at this point - with the new deployment mechanics - it's just necessary. I might end up paring down the mission list a bit just to make the process more manageable.

Thanks for all the other feedback, too - it's good to see a "first impressions" style thing from someone that's been away for a while.

Since I dug into the campaign, I have a few more insights:

-Accidents are a royal pain early in the game when you only have one ship.  It makes the one-ship grind a pain.  However once you get a fleet, it's largely trivial because you'll have more than enough cargo space.  Might need some slight adjusting or something just to make it less frustrating and grindy.
-The Hegemony Station's default equipment available is mostly junk, while both the Pirate and Tri-Tachyon bases have excellent gear.  After a few convoys, it gets some better stuff, but it's default stuff could use a boost.

-The AI for ships almost seems too good for them having only Green or Regular crews.  They seldom make mistakes, can perfectly time shielding, and are very accurate against moving targets.  I could see this for Veteran or Elite crews, but with less experienced crews, it just feels kinda off.
-The "Panic and fire all of your missiles a split second before you die" thing that a lot of the larger ships seem to have now is pretty annoying.  Just sayin'.
-Did I mention that I hate Tempests with a passion?  If you haven't invested in Speed upgrades, you'll probably never catch them and they'll kite you while spamming Terminator Drones constantly.  They're the most frustrating ship to fight, hands-down.  Good god, I hate these things.

-The tech trees are great.  Technology let me tweak out my ships on one character, while Combat let me have super-fast guns-blazing ships on another.  Makes each character feel unique.  However....
-The Leadership tree is fairly underwhelming.  There wasn't much in it that made me feel "Wow, this character is a super-good commander!".  I had some ideas for things you could put in it.  IMO, it's a perfect tree to put boosts for:
*Fighters (Since you never directly control them, but commanding them well is vital)
*Increasing Cargo, Personnel, and Fuel capacity
*Increasing boosts from controlling Nav Buoys, Sensor Arrays, ect
*Increasing line of sight/sensor range for your fleet in battle
*Allowing you to give a number of pre-battle orders to your fleet (The number of these bonus orders would increase with rank)

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 06, 2013, 05:42:18 AM »

Well.... here is some food for thought, how comfortable would people be with letting Starsector send back combat and game statistics to Alex? With real statistical numbers and meaningful information being derived from it, it could help reduce the length of development and produce a higher quality game.

I personally don't mind if my game and combat stats are uploaded to a server. I believe Valve already implement a stats tracker in their games.

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 06, 2013, 08:37:40 AM »

Well.... here is some food for thought, how comfortable would people be with letting Starsector send back combat and game statistics to Alex? With real statistical numbers and meaningful information being derived from it, it could help reduce the length of development and produce a higher quality game.

I personally don't mind if my game and combat stats are uploaded to a server. I believe Valve already implement a stats tracker in their games.
Completely okay with this and support it being added if it helps out

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 06, 2013, 11:17:29 AM »

I'd be fine with a Stat Tracker, as long as we get to peek at the results!  I'm always curious about other peoples' battles, especially people that pilot Capital Ships.

I'm STILL a Strike Frigate pilot to the core and can't do much in anything bigger than a Destroyer because they feel too slow for me!

Pentakill

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 07, 2013, 02:06:49 AM »

Well i'm off to Marines bootcamp Monday morning, guess I shouldn't be too worried though.
At the rate this game is being developed there still won't be more than one star system, outposts, officers, or much else by the time i'm back! In four years.... -_-

But really, much love Alex. This game kicks ass! I look forward to the final product upon my return to civilization.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 07, 2013, 10:35:48 AM »

Best of luck to you!

And thanks :)

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 08, 2013, 03:42:19 AM »

• generators.csv is now deprecated, use ModPlugin.onNewGame instead.
  • Added "newGameCreationEntryPoint" to "plugins" section in settings.json

Just to clarify: will all mods' ModPlugin.onNewGame() be called, or just the one pointed to from newGameCreationEntryPoint? Is there still an equivalent to replacing generators.csv with this new system?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 08, 2013, 09:56:20 AM »

Just to clarify: will all mods' ModPlugin.onNewGame() be called, or just the one pointed to from newGameCreationEntryPoint? Is there still an equivalent to replacing generators.csv with this new system?

onNewGame() will be called for all mods. newGameCreationEntryPoint just points to SectorGen. Which also includes registering a core implementation of the CampaignPlugin and some other stuff.

The order things are called in when a new game is created is:
newGameCreationEntryPoint.generate()
.generate() for everything in generators.csv (only there for some degree of backwards compatibility)
plugin.onNewGame(); for every ModPlugin

The equivalent to replacing generators.csv (which is something only a TC would do, right?) would be to point newGameCreationEntryPoint to another implementation of SectorGenerationPlugin.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 08, 2013, 02:09:29 PM »

I just realized that after the CR update, this will be the first videogame ever where I can actually "bring in the reserves" or "send backup", and it will have real meaning in the game. Splitting my forces according to the threat level is something I have done since the first strategy games I played, but it was never much more than make believe or roleplay.
Thank you for that, Alex.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 09, 2013, 02:56:31 AM »

You are making it very difficult to stay patient waiting for the update Alex :P

I check on a daily basis wondering if you have finished the work yet :D
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 71