Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Automated Shields  (Read 5835 times)

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
Automated Shields
« on: March 12, 2013, 05:55:32 PM »

A control (or maybe to be coherent with current autofire implementation a shift-control) to set the shield AI controlled?

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Automated Shields
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 10:10:54 PM »

A control (or maybe to be coherent with current autofire implementation a shift-control) to set the shield AI controlled?

i dont know, the idea has depth but when looked into it, dosent seem that good/useful.
shields are such a critical system, why would you trust an AI to control it. the AI cant really predict what you'll do and change the shield accordingly

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 02:18:08 AM »

Exactly like weaponry.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 03:20:26 AM »

That idea came up before, can't find it, though.

Exactly like weaponry.

Not really, since you have several weapon groups. Some of which (PD) are only controllable by the AI.
And the punishment for a screw-up is much higher than for weapons, if autofire misses a blaster shot its no biggie, a blaster shot that hits your engines because of bad auto-positioned shields might cost your live.

Besides, I think controlling shields is pretty central to the feel of the combat and its tactical depth. And while it might be a conscious decision for veterans to leave it to the AI from time to time, it would be very tempting for new player to rely heavily on AI controlled shields and never pick up the necessary skills to do it themselves.

The only real use I can see is to have different directions for positioning your shield and firing your main gun. Here I would prefer the option to lock shield position with a key-press.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 04:54:35 AM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 03:27:54 AM »

well i was thinking about thi some days ago
but if there was something like that then the game gonna play by itself basically , auto shields,auto guns , then what ?
i don't like "casual" games & i definitly don't want to see starSector in this category
-the ABOMINATION - in progress

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 04:47:47 AM »

That idea came up before, can't find it, though.
Not really, since you have several weapon groups. Some of which (PD) are only controllable by the AI.
And the punishment for a screw-up is much higher than for weapons, if autofire misses a blaster shot its no biggie, a blaster shot that hits your engines because of bad auto-positioned shields might cost your live.

1) I couldn't find it as well and it surprises me.

2) Not true, you can handle PD if you want.

3) If the shields screw up than the player shouldn't set it on auto-use. It's a situational matter.

auto shields,auto guns , then what ?

Auto-pilot? It's already in-game. I think that shields should be operated by the player but there are situations (like when enabling-disabling autofire for PDs) where auto-shields would be useful. But I'd like to hear what Alex think about it.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 05:05:28 AM »

2) Not true, you can handle PD if you want.

Come on, you know what I mean. You can only aim at one target at a time, that's no use for PD.

3) If the shields screw up than the player shouldn't set it on auto-use. It's a situational matter.

As I said, it might be occasionally useful for experienced players who know exactly when they can trust the AI and when not. For everyone else it would be a misguiding feature, with lots of potential for frustration.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 05:08:18 AM »

i don't like "casual" games & i definitly don't want to see starSector in this category
It's up to player to decide. If you wanna to fly ship, control shield and every piece of weapon all in same time knock yourself down :)  BUT what if someone just want to fly and, maybe, control 1 weapon? I'm for choices. Sometimes OMNI shields can be pain in the ars when your main weapons are in hardpoints and your going with fallow-mouse-control. So, give player choice. If someone want to play this game more casual why not? His not making you play it that way.

Or at least what Gothars suggested, give us lock-shield-button.

And yes, log time ago there was suggestion like this (and i think i made it, but i'm not sure) and Alex did replay with same what Gothars wrote.
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Aethelric

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 05:31:47 AM »

I like the idea, generally: the AI does an "okay" job of controlling shields, and I might want the computer to manage my shields while I focus on sniping or tight manuevers.

theSONY

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 05:33:28 AM »

Auto-pilot? It's already in-game

well im aware of that, & i was thinking more about "auto game play" so if most of the gameplay will be set as "auto" ( or could be set) then why personally play game like that ?
just set all "auto" option , sit with a beer (or juice) & watch the game play by itself
i rather do my own mistakes in operating the shields then blame the AI & the whole game for not doing the right choices

It's up to player to decide. If you wanna to fly ship, control shield and every piece of weapon all in same time knock yourself down :)  BUT what if someone just want to fly and, maybe, control 1 weapon? I'm for choices. Sometimes OMNI shields can be pain in the ars when your main weapons are in hardpoints and your going with fallow-mouse-control. So, give player choice. If someone want to play this game more casual why not? His not making you play it that way.
player should adjust to the game,  not the game to the player
as for the "choices" personally i like to do choices my self but i doubt that manual shield is a THAT big issue
 i bet most of the players barely notice that till this topic
choices should be strict, as for game difficulty,sound  option or resolution
 so don't blame the game , blame the plaY'a :D

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 06:07:31 AM »

well im aware of that, & i was thinking more about "auto game play" so if most of the gameplay will be set as "auto" ( or could be set) then why personally play game like that ?
just set all "auto" option , sit with a beer (or juice) & watch the game play by itself
i rather do my own mistakes in operating the shields then blame the AI & the whole game for not doing the right choices
If someone WANT to auto-pilot entire game, why not let him? He isn't forcing that to you. You have choice to play it however you like. Like that dude that hit hardcoded limit of in-game $$ in World of Warcraft. For him, that game is trading simulation. There is choice, it's up to you to choose. Ofc if it's not to complicated to program AI shields on player controllable ship. I guess that it isn't same as on AI controllable ship cos AI don't know how you gonna steer ship  ;D
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 08:17:43 AM »

There are a few ships where this would be nice - mostly small, highly mobile ships with omni shields, where I really want to be piloting in strafe mode, but still need to angle shields to, say, not take a salamander up the engines.  Wolf and Omen in particular; the latter is almost uncontrollable without strafe mode, and has wide-angle turrets that you want to aim, and - with accelerated & extended shields - is quite good enough at not taking damage when on full autopilot.

The other place this would be nice is actually the Paragon - and that's not so much shields as it is ship system.  On full autopilot, it's extremely good at "pulsing" fortress shields - taking reduced damage from most hits, without reducing its outgoing firepower by any notable margin.  I can't do that under manual control.  So, there are times & opponents, where it's actually better for me to put the ship on autopilot once I've manually flown it to more or less the right place.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

theSONY

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 10:30:43 AM »

don't get me wrong, but as for me auto shields (if selected) will narrow the gamepley to just turn right/left piloted ship,everything else will be doing AI, well i can agree for choice like that only in "easy mode" or as a ship system, everything else is a casual/noobish choice
because i read in other topics that the game is too easy & now is something "cuz i cant do that when i do this"
<pass down the hot potato>

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 10:39:45 AM »

Not at all, as someone else said, the shield AI would be situational anyway.

Alfalfa

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 09:33:24 PM »

Not trying to necro but this is a feature I've often wanted and it would be interesting to hear Alex's thoughts on it.

Fast maneuvarable ships with omni shields are would definitely benefit the most from this.  Turn-to-cursor is my (and I'm assuming it's the same for most) preferred method of piloting these ships, and when I'm swimming through missiles having to switch to manual control to focus my mouse on redirecting my shields to catch missiles coming at my flanks or rear is awkward at best and potentially lethal.  Even when not piloting with the mouse having to move your shields away from your target either loses you valuable damage-dealing or forces you to set your main guns on auto-fire (which I often find myself doing by default simply because shields are the only thing you can't automate).

As for concerns that this would make the game too easy:
  • You can already set your ship on autopilot.  That's 100% automation.  Automated weapons; automated shields; automated venting; automated ship system; automated steering; automated everything.  This wouldn't let you do more than you could before, it would simply let you have finer control over what you do do.
  • As I've mentioned, you can already set all or any subset of your weapons on autofire.  I enjoy controlling my guns, but I often forego doing so because I can't focus on hitting my targets and protecting myself at the same time.  The ability to completely automate your weapons only makes the inability to do the same with your shields more obvious.
  • Finally, as I hinted in my first point, this is a complex game.  Different ships have different capabilities and different playstyles.  Frigates have the ability and the need to dodge incoming fire and preventing shots from slipping past shields is especially important.  Capital ships juggle dozens of weapons, engaging multiple targets simultaneously while constantly monitoring flux levels and avoiding exposing gaps in their armour.  With any class you are simultaneously monitoring your tactical situation and coordinating your fleet.  There is lots to do.  The ability to automate shields won't change that.
Pages: [1] 2