Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Explosions in space  (Read 4173 times)

JT

• Commander
    • View Profile
Explosions in space
« on: March 08, 2013, 10:53:02 AM »

Explosions! In space!

This is a very simple suggestion.

Since when it comes down to it, the only danger of an explosion in vacuum is if it occurs in direct contact or extremely near proximity with another hull (otherwise by the time a plasma cloud from an explosion touches another ship's hull, it's just hot gas), perhaps there should be a glitz effect where dozens of harmless pixel-sized particles are randomly projected outward at extremely high speed from an "exploding" ship when it is disabled (e.g., crossing the screen's width within less than a second), simulating the shrapnel that is emitted when the drive core goes and the ship becomes disabled from the primary explosion. These projectiles would also have a rendering lifetime of under a second each. It is important to stress that they are not the damage-dealing element of the explosion, for sake of simplifying collision detection and not bogging down gameplay: being within the explosion radius is. The particles should not collide with anything. They are, however, the justification for that explosion radius.

For nutjobs purists like myself, this would help justify the gameplay element of "proximity to an explosion equals bad" in realistic terms -- a best-of-both-worlds scenario both for realism (from the "explosions in space are just hot gas" perspective that science buffs expect) and intuitiveness (from the "proximity to explosions is bad" perspective that most people expect).

A setting should exist to disable this glitz, since in the middle of a firefight the last thing anyone needs is their older computer slowing down every time a ship goes kerblooie.

[edit] Moved modifier "at extremely high speed" after "projected outward" instead of "disabled", since this should happen irrespective of how fast the ship is disabled. ;-)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 02:00:05 PM by JT »

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Explosions in space
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 11:15:57 AM »

How would you see something like that when the whole screen is white from radiation? Those particles  might even be there already...
Besides, the amount of radiation alone  is probably enough to toast nearby ships.

Besides, this pretty much falls under " eye candy at the end of development" guideline (see FMS).
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

JT

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 11:27:11 AM »

* Small ships that explode white-out for a minimal fraction of a second, offering plenty of time for particles to be seen.
* A large ship's white-out fades enough in opacity that flying particles could be visible prior to the white-out fading entirely.
* It is of course a long-term suggestion, not an immediate suggestion. ;-)

After some thought, perhaps the lifetime should be linked to the ship type, however. Larger ships should fire off a greater number of particles that last longer while smaller ships should fire off fewer projectiles that last as described. Maybe secondary blasts (not resulting in total hull destruction of course) could also be added as a glitz feature (or even an additional hazard) to larger ships to represent ammunition cooking off and the like as well.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 02:03:13 PM by JT »

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 04:10:58 AM »

+1 Maybe instead of particles,maybe upon death the ships also create the 3D 'wave' effect similar to Gratuitous Space Battles...or for that matter a number of FPS shooters from FEAR onwards. Showing the 3D 'wave' or should I say shockwave front/compressed hot gas, would be semi-realistic.

I have no idea how difficult it is to implement such a thing, some sort of OpenGL shader?? It would look groovilicious, but is somewhat secondary.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 11:46:35 AM »

i might just have a "dunce" moment but i dont get at all what the OP is suggesting...

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 02:22:06 PM »

if you fast forward to 1:25 where that large ship explodes, you will understand what the OP is suggesting.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 02:49:15 PM »

if you fast forward to 1:25 where that large ship explodes, you will understand what the OP is suggesting.

ok thanks.
i still dont really get where the OP wants to go but whatever, i guess im just a dunce today

p.s.: no need to respond to try to make me understand, i think its one of those days  ;)