Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

Increase OP on some frigates (counterparts of vanilla frigates)

Yes, please up the OP
- 85 (75.2%)
No, leave it as it is now
- 23 (20.4%)
No, other...
- 5 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 113

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 48

Author Topic: [0.8.1a] Tore Up Plenty - Vanilla Friendly Mod - Campaign+Nexerelin  (Read 396565 times)

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
Re: Tore Up Plenty - Alternate Starting Ships
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2013, 07:47:35 AM »

I've just started with the mace, and it only has 20 crew, when it needs 75 crew!

Yes. I'm going to fix that. Shouldn't be too much of a problem though. You start out with 2000 credits, which is more than enough to purchase enough crew.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2013, 07:55:48 AM »

I like this mod, it really give the feeling of the old rusted kind of ship used by smugglers and pirates.

I hope you're gonna give the same treatment to the tankers. They would make cool converted carriers or weapons platform.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2013, 07:58:28 AM »

Thanks Helmut!

I fixed the Mace. It starts with the proper amount of crew. I also changed the High-tech PD drones into Mid-tech drones.

http://www.mediafire.com/?wco94ippedb2pbv

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2013, 08:02:46 AM »

Future change for all starting ships:

Going to have 1 "captain", i.e. an elite crewmember. The rest of the crew will be green. No ship starts with marines. Fuel will be removed since it serves no purpose at this time. Supplies will be relative to the amount of crew a ship starts with. Credits will likely stay at 2k.

zeno0010

• Lieutenant
  • Light Shines Brightest In The Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2013, 08:25:55 AM »

yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss (is pleased)

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2013, 08:34:02 AM »

yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss (is pleased)

I'm glad to hear it.  :)

[edit]
I'd love to hear some feedback on how the Mace handles in the field.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 09:07:21 AM by Erick Doe »

zeno0010

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2013, 09:29:03 AM »

She handel's exquisitly. that being said she handels so well im already making a decent fleet with what i decimated the pirates

with. just a light cruiser. i think she needs less armor and something other then drones for balance. i leave my shields down alot

since the flux early on at least is alot to handel without overcharging *as it should be*. , but not much more than i do any other

ship in its class. and any danger from missiles are out the window with that flak cannon and dem drones. Although this was

ment to be a great starter right? definantly achived that. <<<<<a minor opinion.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 09:40:38 AM by zeno0010 »

zeno0010

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2013, 09:39:31 AM »

That being said about fighting smaller craft it cant really fight anything in its own class (underleveled anyway, but then again has anyone lost a leved char against a normal one later?). so maby it is balanced and im just spouting nonsence.

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2013, 05:00:19 PM »

I have to leave momentarily, but i'd like to say that the mace does make it rather easy. I'm a little flustered by the hardpoints with such painfully wide arcs. Maybe use turrets or make it a narrower arc. With the flak at the back it gets knocked out by salamanders too.
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2013, 06:10:44 PM »

That being said about fighting smaller craft it cant really fight anything in its own class (underleveled anyway, but then again has anyone lost a leved char against a normal one later?). so maby it is balanced and im just spouting nonsence.

I've let the AI duke it out with several ships. It can handle the Venture cruiser and some other lower tech ships very well. However, it does get beaten by more advanced ships in its class. As intended. It is somewhat undergunned for a cruiser. But it can still do a good job in fleet tactics against larger ships, by staying back and firing a long range weapon, like a Mauler or Needler. The Mace is mainly meant as an anti-frigate and fighter ship. It does fairly well against most destroyers as well. It is more of a support ship against anything larger though.

ment to be a great starter right? definantly achived that. <<<<<a minor opinion.

Thanks! :)

I have to leave momentarily, but i'd like to say that the mace does make it rather easy. I'm a little flustered by the hardpoints with such painfully wide arcs. Maybe use turrets or make it a narrower arc. With the flak at the back it gets knocked out by salamanders too.

I've noticed that too. The hardpoints arc is 45 degrees. I'm going to reduce that to about 25 degrees or less. Other than that the hardpoints work well, I think? Especially in a Needler/Mauler combo. Not sure what you're saying about the Flak gun in the back. Do you mean that Salamanders knock down the hardpoints in the front, because the Flak can't stop the Salamanders? The Flak can take down missiles just before they reach the front of the ship, unless the missiles are too fast. Also note that you do not have to put a Flak there if it doesn't work well for you. Slap a couple of missile launchers in the front and focus your main firepower around the aft section. That works too.  ;)

Thanks for the comments.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 06:12:56 PM by Erick Doe »

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2013, 06:13:00 PM »

I dislike the timber wolf, it really cuts away from the wolf's feel, and it's rubbish shield arc makes me cry, I'd just stick with a wolf
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2013, 06:15:49 PM »

I dislike the timber wolf, it really cuts away from the wolf's feel, and it's rubbish shield arc makes me cry, I'd just stick with a wolf

Yeah, it isn't much like the Wolf at all. It is a low tech conversion and has a different feel to it probably because of that.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2013, 06:16:47 PM »

But that's why I love the wolf, sublime range allows you to nail lasers with ease!!
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

mostmodest

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2013, 06:51:05 PM »

So, I'm going to be THAT guy...
Is it possible to have a bundle of the current DEV version?
(i.e., toss the available ships into a .zip folder and update it whenever there's a new ship?)
(Because I'm lazy that way...)
Yes, you are reading to far into this.

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 22, 2013, 12:58:40 AM »

I've noticed that too. The hardpoints arc is 45 degrees. I'm going to reduce that to about 25 degrees or less. Other than that the hardpoints work well, I think? Especially in a Needler/Mauler combo. Not sure what you're saying about the Flak gun in the back. Do you mean that Salamanders knock down the hardpoints in the front, because the Flak can't stop the Salamanders? The Flak can take down missiles just before they reach the front of the ship, unless the missiles are too fast. Also note that you do not have to put a Flak there if it doesn't work well for you. Slap a couple of missile launchers in the front and focus your main firepower around the aft section. That works too.  ;)

Thanks for the comments.

Hardpoints are good because they take more damage to offline, and they lose accuracy from firing slower. 25 degrees may be a little wide still, but will be much more manageable. The mauler & needler combo is pretty devastating to little ships, and i can kite an enforcer to death with it. Good loadout.

The flak is nearly unable to hit salamanders with the green starting crew. This is problematic because once one hits, it knocks the flak offline, and usually two of the vulcans too. Then it opens you up for a salamander parade which will be enough to actually offline your engines. Very dangerous for this ship.

The nearest analogous ship is probably the hammerhead. This ship actually has less firepower because it has drones instead of accelerated ammo feeder. It is also slower, and has less shield coverage. Though for the stated purpose it is does a very good job. Starting out with a cruiser shaves at least an hour off my normal startup routine. I imagine this would also be a very good anti-frustration feature for a new player too.

I haven't tried any of the new increased op versions of prior ships yet. I'll try them out when i'm better rested.
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 48