Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Increase OP on some frigates (counterparts of vanilla frigates)

Yes, please up the OP
- 85 (75.2%)
No, leave it as it is now
- 23 (20.4%)
No, other...
- 5 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 113

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 48

Author Topic: [0.8.1a] Tore Up Plenty - Vanilla Friendly Mod - Campaign+Nexerelin  (Read 398815 times)

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
Re: Tore Up Plenty - Alternate Starting Ships
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2013, 09:19:54 AM »

Level 10, or 15 will have the same amount of OP generally. By the time the player have a decent amount of bonus OP the ships are easily overpowered by other ships in the player fleet.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2013, 09:21:59 AM »

Level 10, or 15 will have the same amount of OP generally. By the time the player have a decent amount of bonus OP the ships are easily overpowered by other ships in the player fleet.

Really? Because those ships won't be able to equip the same amount of firepower as these modded ships. Plus these ships have slight improvements in other area's as well. Including higher flux and often a higher speed rating (except for the Striker). The amount of hull points is also significantly higher, sometimes traded off for a slight decrease in armor. Hangar space is higher. Cargo and personnel space is increased. Required skeleton crew is decreased.

I'm playing with the Timberwolf right now, testing it out. So far (reached level 5) it is doing a fine job.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:25:36 AM by Erick Doe »

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2013, 09:26:38 AM »

Yeah but they will overpower them by superior stats and systems or class (destroyer\cruiser). The basic problem is that the increased OP is percent based so you get less with levels if you start with lower base OP.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2013, 09:35:58 AM »

Yeah but they will overpower them by superior stats and systems or class (destroyer\cruiser). The basic problem is that the increased OP is percent based so you get less with levels if you start with lower base OP.

About the OP being percentage based. That's true. But the actual effect of the OP (OP being relatively lower, except in the Foxhound) may be higher on these modded frigates than on vanilla frigates, because it can be spend on more and better weapon systems. While the vanilla frigates may only spend it on extra flux and perhaps a few hull mods.

If I increase the OP further, these modded frigates will be as strong as, or even stronger than vanilla frigates, right off the bat. Which is not what I intended. They are basically "modified" ships, with a lot of potential for the future. They are not necessarily immediate "upgrades" over vanilla ships.

Also look at the hull percentage. When this is increased these modded ships will become a lot more durable than their vanilla counterparts, because of the higher starting numbers. For example, the Sentinel has only 25 less armour, but 500 more hull than the Vigilance. This will increase greatly when a skill with +% to hull is picked.

[edit]
Also, the actual effect of percentual increase where the OP is concerned is neglectable, since the base values aren't very high and the differences between them are small.

Sentinel: 25% of 32 OP = 8
Vigilance: 25% of 35 OP = 8.75
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:41:16 AM by Erick Doe »

Thule

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2013, 09:37:58 AM »

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true" -First Officer Zoë Washburne

Wait, wasn't the Officer at first a guy? What happend to him? ;)

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2013, 09:43:28 AM »

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true" -First Officer Zoë Washburne

Wait, wasn't the Officer at first a guy? What happend to him? ;)

Haha! Well noticed!

Yes, I contributed the quote to Captain Malcolm Reynolds. When, in fact, his first mate Zoë said it.

Thule

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2013, 10:01:55 AM »

OMG, now i get it, FIREFLY!!!

I considered myself a fan of the series, and i did't recognize the name. ::)

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2013, 03:29:50 PM »

I've been using the timberwolf in Uomoz's corvus.

I've maxed out tech aptitude and the TW is a little underwhelming still. Next is leadership, but most of the odd levels are going back into tech so it may improve.

I've been having trouble fitting it too. I've tried all sorts of things, but none seemed to mesh well. The only small missiles i can think of that warrant a fast missile loader is the annihilator (which i haven't found yet to test). My two most effective loadouts spoilered below.

Spoiler
From memory:

Fallow

Hyper velocity driver
Omni empty
2X harpoon
1 burst pd 2x empty energies
dual pressure turret

10 vents 1 cap
engine upgrade (the one that doubles repair time)
shield extender.

Basically a close support wolf with ballistic mounts. Kind of underwhelming too because a wolf would have the tac lasers to use offensively and many more vents (at my skill level)

All the mounts

Black Rock 9 op explosive cannon (forget its name, it does 500 damage a shot)
railgun
2X reaper
3X pd laser
dual pressure turret

10 vents 2 caps

engine upgrade (2x repair time)

I used the most flux efficient weapons i could find so i could spend a little more time hitting them with the short range cannon before backing off and venting.

[close]

I started as the Shadowyards Heavy Industries so my starter was an enlil (3 hard point omnies). At first i didn't have enough space to fit the timberwolf with engine upgrades, and kept getting caught by fleets a little too tough to handle. After several reloads (because i'm not above save scumming) i decided to shelve it until i had more levels. I bought a second enlil and did substantially better. Now that I have 32 FP I just use 3 morning stars (the SHI destroyer shaped like its namesake). At the moment i only dust off the TW to make speedy vendor trash runs to enemy factions.

I really like being able to retrofit ships to do what i need it to better, but the timber wolf doesn't feel like its better. Or even on par. I guess if i wanted a better combat hauler than the mule it fits the bill. I'm not here to whine and complain though. I like this mod and want to help it improve if i can. My art sucks and my coding skills are worse so all i have to offer is suggestions.

The ships should stand on their own right from the start.
Spoiler
For the timber wolf some possibilities are changing the ship system to flares, giving it higher inherent turn speed, venting, or capacitance. Or all of the above
[close]
More upgrades
Spoiler
Like an upgrade tree. Either monolithic or branching (or both)
wolf -> timberwolf -> direwolf -> winterwolf and so on
or
wolf to timberwolf then to fast wolf or flux wolf or cargo wolf or less FP cost wolf or chimera wolf (2nd omni hardpoint[because Cerberus fits hound better thematically]) and so on
[close]

Thats all i can think of now. I just typed wolf so many times it looks funny.
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2013, 02:41:03 AM »

And your suggestions are welcome, CopperCoyote.

I will raise the max flux and flux venting. I will also up the OP a little more and maybe make the Timberwolf a little faster. A few fleet speed upgrades will allow it to catch up even with lone Hounds though.

I also like the idea of an "upgrade tech tree".

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2013, 02:47:11 AM »

Added the Brawler in UsC DEV. Also making them starting ships.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2013, 03:59:45 AM »

Working on the Talus:

A sturdy Tarsus with a nice broadside.

[edit]
The Talus is up for download. It is basically a mix between a combat-oriented Tarsus and a Condor.

In Uomoz's Corvus you literally get to upgrade Tarsus freighters into combat carriers.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:34:20 AM by Erick Doe »

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2013, 07:10:52 AM »

I will up the OP and flux of earlier ships. Anyway, what ships shall I do next?

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2013, 07:19:19 AM »

I will up the OP and flux of earlier ships. Anyway, what ships shall I do next?
Maybe, the Omen (I actually like it) or a Medusa or a Low Tech Phase Ship like a converted Condor blockade runner type thing?

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2013, 07:27:44 AM »

Erick send me a report of the changes if you will so i can update faster ;).

zeno0010

• Lieutenant
  • Light Shines Brightest In The Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2013, 09:19:52 AM »

How bout a better buffalo. MkIII or soemthing that has a damn shield. Or good pd. No one ever uses the buffalo, give it some love  :'(
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 48