Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

Increase OP on some frigates (counterparts of vanilla frigates)

Yes, please up the OP
- 85 (75.2%)
No, leave it as it is now
- 23 (20.4%)
No, other...
- 5 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 113

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 48

Author Topic: [0.8.1a] Tore Up Plenty - Vanilla Friendly Mod - Campaign+Nexerelin  (Read 396549 times)

SainnQ

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Tore Up Plenty - Alternate Starting Ships
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 07:56:34 PM »

So I'm assuming you'll be replacing the vanilla starters, aside from faction specific starters with these creations?

Will they hold the same specials, or will the specials be considered upgrades too?

I.e Phase skimmer on wolf frigate, turns into phase cloak?

banehunter

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 08:01:35 PM »

Naw he said that he would stick low to mid tech ships. It seems that this ships might actually start out weaker then as the player progresses so will their functionality; as you level up you get enough OP to actually outfit them properly. He did add a drone bay to the foxhound if that what you meant by ship systems.

Spardok

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 11:57:08 PM »

Haven't touched this yet (will give it a shot in a few days), looks pretty interesting. Wanted to know if ships just gain more OP as you level, or do the ships get larger as well with additional/bigger hard-points?

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2013, 04:56:50 AM »

Haven't touched this yet (will give it a shot in a few days), looks pretty interesting. Wanted to know if ships just gain more OP as you level, or do the ships get larger as well with additional/bigger hard-points?

The hard-points are pre-determined. However, as you start out there won't be enough OP on the ship to optimize it, or even equip all weapon slots. For example, the Foxhound only has 25 OP while the regular Hound has 30, eventhough the Foxhound has 3 more hard-points. The ships are designed so that as you get more personal skill points, the ships can be more and more optimised. Eventually they get better and more powerful than the regular versions of these ships (Hound, Vigilance, Lasher, etc.).

Since Uomoz is working on "ship upgrade" code, I may add a second upgrade to the mods, which is sold in the campaign for a ton of credits.

So I'm assuming you'll be replacing the vanilla starters, aside from faction specific starters with these creations?

Will they hold the same specials, or will the specials be considered upgrades too?

I.e Phase skimmer on wolf frigate, turns into phase cloak?

Each ship is a separate download, like a mini-mod. Each of these mini-mods contain a starting ship and a mission where you can test it against the regular version of the ship. You can not run all the ship mods at the same time. You'll have to choose the starting ship you want to pick for the campaign. You pick it by choosing the "Did something else" career choice. However, when I've completed a whole series of starting ships, I might just merge them into one bigger mod, so they all show up when you pick the "Did something else" career choice.

Specials will be changed. Like banehunter pointed out, the Foxhound has a drone-bay, instead of a flarelauncher. The Sentinel has a forward facing flarelauncher (very handy against incoming missiles during a head-on dogfight) instead of fast missile racks.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 04:58:57 AM by Erick Doe »

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2013, 06:00:46 AM »

Update:

I've added the Striker.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2013, 06:08:33 AM »

Very nice, will try them. Now only the Wolf needs its Warg.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

SainnQ

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2013, 07:16:00 AM »

Just out of curiosity, are these ships meant to be used one over the other? Or should I be able to activate them all and get whichever one depending on the "career" choices?

I'm not quite yet fully familiar with how Starsector handles mods, so I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be using some sort of ordering system or what. Lol.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2013, 07:26:25 AM »

Just out of curiosity, are these ships meant to be used one over the other? Or should I be able to activate them all and get whichever one depending on the "career" choices?

I'm not quite yet fully familiar with how Starsector handles mods, so I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be using some sort of ordering system or what. Lol.

You can download them all. But you should only activate ONE. Activate the ship that you want to use in the campaign.

Pick the "Did something else" career choice to obtain the ship.

SainnQ

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2013, 07:27:35 AM »

You can download them all. But you should only activate ONE. Activate the ship that you want to use in the campaign.

Pick the "Did something else" career choice to obtain the ship.

Ah. Ok thanks for clarification.

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2013, 10:17:58 AM »

Very nice, will try them. Now only the Wolf needs its Warg.
I just saw this...well done!

Also I really like the sentinel (spelled it right first time!) I think my play style needs to change though....I like being a fortress ship usually.

conorano

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2013, 11:13:07 AM »

the sentinel is rather strange actually. the ship looks like it isnt designed for frontal attacks, but the flares and frontal hardpoints kinda suggest it is. maybe a frontal heavier shield would be more suitable, becouse it currently gets owned by energy weapons (i kinda got owned by the vigilance  :-[)

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2013, 12:33:40 PM »

the sentinel is rather strange actually. the ship looks like it isnt designed for frontal attacks, but the flares and frontal hardpoints kinda suggest it is. maybe a frontal heavier shield would be more suitable, becouse it currently gets owned by energy weapons (i kinda got owned by the vigilance  :-[)

The Vigilence is definately better and easier in the start of the game. But the Sentinel will outperform it when better equipped. I like your suggestion about a heavier fixed front shield though.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2013, 12:41:42 PM »

Brawler + tailgun = very yes please?

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2013, 05:44:53 PM »

Brawler + tailgun = very yes please?

So much this.

Flunky

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2013, 08:58:52 PM »

Tried each of the ships out in the mission setup. Could easily take down the hound (PD drones and all that). Vigilance/Sentinel was a more challenging fight, but still pretty doable. Couldn't beat the lasher without a highly specialized setup and an unstable injector to stop kiting.

On the whole they seem like interesting setups-- kind of like some of the IFed ships you simply don't have enough flux/OP to max out those hardpoints. Thus, you have to choose part of the hull to emphasize, which is nice. However, their starting stats (particularly OP) are so low that even with a decent amount of tech leveling you can just barely make it on par with a standard unleveled frigate (particularly the poor, slow striker). Used the sentinel a bit in Corvus after leveling up to decent tech (roughly 40% of total OP upgrades) and found the frigate of limited use.

I'm curious to see how they work out for a high level character at the upper ends of OP/flux upgrades. The way they're implemented as upgrades in Corvus seems a nice fit-- starting with one of these would be unpleasant, at least with the current setup of combat being the only interaction.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 48