Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

Increase OP on some frigates (counterparts of vanilla frigates)

Yes, please up the OP
- 85 (75.2%)
No, leave it as it is now
- 23 (20.4%)
No, other...
- 5 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 113

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 48

Author Topic: [0.8.1a] Tore Up Plenty - Vanilla Friendly Mod - Campaign+Nexerelin  (Read 396554 times)

Grug

• Commander
    • View Profile

Engines and fuel cells seem like they should be larger- to fit the general size of the cargo variant. Otherwise you've just got awkward empty space there.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile

Following Uomoz's feedback, I've made the following changes for V7:

-Daedalus' sprite has a more worn and less clean look now
-Ryker has a bit more detail in the middle to break up its symmetry
-Fuel Skylark's fuel cannisters are less flat thanks to shading and have a rounded tip on the end
-Cargo Skylark's cargo containers are less flat looking thanks to some additional shading
-Engine Skylark had some bright pixels removed that stood out on a darker background
-Thunderchild's sprite has some additional lines and details intended to break up its symmetric look
-Also gave the Thunderchild softer edges
-Vulture's sprite less bright and more in line with the Falcon and Eagle in brightness and shading

-Some tweaks to set TuP ships apart from vanilla ships without making them clear cut upgrades over the originals.
i.e. the Wrestler has more weapon slots and better flux efficiency, but it is also slower and less well armoured than the Brawler. The Wrestler Mk2 has upgraded stats over the original Wrestler, but is even slower.

-Adding Sentinel Mk2, Striker Mk2, Buck Mk2 and Annihilator Mk2
-Adding new fighter wings

[edit]
Creating vanilla-esque portraits. Won't be done till V8
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 09:35:07 AM by Erick Doe »

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile

Is V7 out soonish?  8)

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Yes, let me just double check everything before uploading.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Ok, here it is.

V7 is out!

-Daedalus' sprite has a more worn and less clean look now
-Ryker has a bit more detail in the middle to break up its symmetry
-Fuel Skylark's fuel cannisters are less flat thanks to shading and have a rounded tip on the end
-Cargo Skylark's cargo containers are less flat looking thanks to some additional shading
-Engine Skylark had some bright pixels removed that stood out on a darker background
-Thunderchild's sprite has some additional lines and details intended to break up its symmetric look
-Also gave the Thunderchild softer edges
-Vulture's sprite less bright and more in line with the Falcon and Eagle in brightness and shading

-Some tweaks to set TuP ships apart from vanilla ships without making them clear cut upgrades over the originals.
i.e. the Wrestler has more weapon slots and better flux efficiency, but it is also slower and less well armoured than the Brawler. The Wrestler Mk2 has upgraded stats over the original Wrestler, but is even slower.

-Added Sentinel Mk2, Striker Mk2, Buck Mk2, Annihilator Mk2 and the Taskmaster
-Added a new fighter wing: the Buckler

V8 won't be out for some time. I'm casually going to work on portraits and some campaign stuff, so it is going to take a while. Oh, and weapons. Lots of weapons.

[edit]
Hm. I might have to put V5a up. I think it is the latest version that is compatible with Exerelin, if I'm not mistaken?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 05:47:01 PM by Erick Doe »

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile

Very nice changes! I still think that Skylark modules stands out way too much though. Maybe it's the strong shape and style difference between the ship and the modules?

Daedalus feels a lot better now, Ryker is way better, TC as well.

Overall very good stuff, but I'm still thinking that the Taskmaster middle part is awkwardly unattractive to my eyes.

Vulture is way better now, but I need to give it a new name for UsS xD.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Vulture is way better now, but I need to give it a new name for UsS xD.

It shouldn't cause any conflicts what with the prefixes in place.

[edit]
Tell you what, I'll rename it the 'Buzzard'.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 06:41:37 AM by Erick Doe »

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Speaking of UsS, i have been playing the mod a bit and was able to toy with some of the TuP ships. I think the lance carrier is currently too strong.

As a cruiser, the Lance does everything the Heron does but usually better. Much less crew requirement, less supply per day, higher cr recovery rate, only 11 logistics points and more importantly, 2 medium missile launchers (plus a built in hvel, but given its role it's not that important). I think it could use some nerf here and there to make the Heron finally competitive again.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Speaking of UsS, i have been playing the mod a bit and was able to toy with some of the TuP ships. I think the lance carrier is currently too strong.

As a cruiser, the Lance does everything the Heron does but usually better. Much less crew requirement, less supply per day, higher cr recovery rate, only 11 logistics points and more importantly, 2 medium missile launchers (plus a built in hvel, but given its role it's not that important). I think it could use some nerf here and there to make the Heron finally competitive again.

Good observation. Keep in mind that the Lance was actually there before the Heron. And it pretty much filled the spot of mid-tech carrier (which didn't exist in vanilla) that the Heron has now come to fill. Now that the Heron exists, I may have to take another look at the Lance.

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Good observation. Keep in mind that the Lance was actually there before the Heron. And it pretty much filled the spot of mid-tech carrier (which didn't exist in vanilla) that the Heron has now come to fill. Now that the Heron exists, I may have to take another look at the Lance.
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo my favorite ship lol!! yeah it needs to be more balanced, but still :-(

although I don't think I've seen the Heron in a while, I've seen a couple lances. What're the prices on each? Speeds? Isn't Heron faster?

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Yes, Heron is faster, more combat speed, 1 more burn speed, also much more OPs to fit an eventual augmented engine. The Lance kinda struggle to get all its weapons plus some hull mods but as a carrier/missile support, it don't need much to do its job.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

In case you're wanting to use TuP with Exerelin, the latest compatible version is V5a

Get V5a of TuP here:
DOWNLOAD
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 05:59:13 AM by Erick Doe »

Kommodore Krieg

• Commander
    • View Profile

Still the best ship mod imo.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Still the best ship mod imo.
Thanks! I appreciate it.  :)

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Next update will include the Hawk wing and the Hawk Ranger:

Hawk Ranger Corvette (frigate)
A powerful light freighter, refitted to a combat role. The TY-1035 Hawk Ranger is an impressive corvette that has been armed to adapt to any kind of encounter. It packs a solid pair of assault guns ready to deal with frigates and even destroyers. Its cluster bomb bay used to house escape pods; now they house powerful bomblets that prove devastating to all kinds of unshielded opponents. Its starboard side holds a Sabot missile, normally not found on ships of its size. The top deck of the Hawk has been fitted with a vulcan cannon that can rotate a full 360 degrees. The Hawk Ranger also carries a missile pod on its port nacelle, calibrated to intercept projectiles and strikecraft.

Hawk Corvette Wing (fighter)
A powerful light freighter, refitted to a combat role. The TY-1030 Hawk is an impressive corvette that has been armed to adapt to any kind of encounter. It packs a solid pair of assault guns ready to deal with frigates and even destroyers. Its cluster bomb bay used to house escape pods; now they house powerful bomblets that prove devastating to all kinds of unshielded opponents. Its starboard side holds a Sabot missile, normally not found on ships of its size. The top deck of the Hawk has been fitted with a vulcan cannon that can rotate a full 360 degrees.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 48