Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Increase OP on some frigates (counterparts of vanilla frigates)

Yes, please up the OP
- 85 (75.2%)
No, leave it as it is now
- 23 (20.4%)
No, other...
- 5 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 113

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 48

Author Topic: [0.8.1a] Tore Up Plenty - Vanilla Friendly Mod - Campaign+Nexerelin  (Read 398827 times)

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Tore Up Plenty - Alternate Starting Ships
« Reply #270 on: July 27, 2013, 09:37:56 AM »

you could either call it the rhino (overused, cliché but classy)
or
the ROCKET SLED !! mythbusters fans will understand  ;) and if youre not a mythbusters fan, well here's all you need to know

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 27, 2013, 09:59:35 AM »

The only thing it doesn't do is ram the enemy head on. But that doesn't make much difference.

I tried this once on an Onslaught. Increasing his accelerating speed but decreasing to nearly nothing its maneuverability and deceleration. The AI will be able to close distance with enemy ship, but won't be able to brake. Worked quite well. However it will need a gigantic amount of armor to be efficient, as ships explosion will very heavily damage it.

Still, a very lovely ship, looks like a flying concrete brick with some bumpers.

BTW, will there be new missions for the next release? I can't wait to see what's next after crossing that alley with those goddamn phase ships!

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 27, 2013, 12:00:33 PM »

Yes, before the campaign is fully finished, I will probably release Complete Pack 16 with the Hedgehog, Stampede (I went with Stampede for the ramming ship) a few fixes for older ships and several new missions.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 28, 2013, 05:04:50 AM »

After some tweaking, the AI now occassionally rams head-on with devastating effect.

I.E. 500 damage to the Stampede but 3000 damage to its target, plus sending it hurling away at high speeds. All the while the Stampede will continue firing its mining lasers.  :D

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 28, 2013, 06:46:40 AM »

Stampede Relative starting difficulty: Very Easy (low-tech ramming cruiser)

Also updated:

Wrestler v4
-Reduced all forward weapon arcs by 10 degrees
-Shield arc up by 10 degrees

Foxhound v5
-Side weapons facing forward at a 45 degrees angle + increased their arc from 90 to 110 degrees
-Maximum speed increased by 5

Timberwolf v5
-Shield arc +10 degrees and 0.1 more damage efficient
-Plus 10 points of armour

Striker v5
-Fixed spelling mistake in one of the variants

[edit]
I'd love some feedback on the Stampede, so I can tweak it in time for the next Complete Pack. :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 07:08:03 AM by Erick Doe »

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 28, 2013, 07:18:56 AM »

Say vanilla Starsector could have a new capital ship. What kind of ship would you prefer? A high-tech battleship? Or some lumbering low-tech dreadnought? Perhaps a midline battlecruiser, in some way different from the Conquest? I'm curious, because I still want to add a capital ship to TuP and I'm wondering what the community would like to have.

[edit]
While working on a campaign mode with a custom starsystem; I'm also doing an update for the Complete Pack that will include a campaign mode set in Corvus. That should allow me to do a quicker update, so that the latest stuff can be included in the Exerelin mod. :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 08:16:01 AM by Erick Doe »

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 28, 2013, 08:39:22 AM »

High tech is pretty well represented in vanilla already. The Paragon can be fitted as a nigh-invincible tank or an extremely powerful brawler (or both with the proper skills), the Astral is a decent fire support ship with unbeatable carrier capabilities (or will be post-.6a), and the Odyssey can be set up to adequately fill almost any role you can think of.

For low and mid-tech capital ships, the Onslaught is an excellent brawler that's able to get to fights quickly, while the Conquest is a powerful, fragile ship that's much less vulnerable to flanking (I don't use it, so can't really say much more than that ;)).

Looking at what roles aren't represented, I think a low/mid-tech dedicated fire support capital ship could be interesting. :)

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 28, 2013, 09:55:07 AM »

LazyWizard said it all. So yeah, how about a low tech missile boat or carrier? The Prometheus could be a good base for it.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 28, 2013, 10:37:44 AM »

The Prometheus, eh? Not a bad idea.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 28, 2013, 10:44:56 AM »

i'd say a midline midline capital ship (yes you read right, its not a typo)
kinda like the bastard child of an onslaught and a conquest, not as sturdy yet not so fragile either

something that would have part of the elongated shape of midline ship but with more emphasis on the low-tech forward facing armament aspect of the onslaught. I feel that'd be an interesting idea.
Nested in the middle of the ship could be a sort of built-in weapon similar to the onslaught TPC (you could even call it the "spinal laser", get it :P ?)

Vinya

• Captain
  • Vulgar at best...
    • View Profile
    • Mykyria Scifi/Zombie writing blog (Old site)
« Reply #280 on: July 28, 2013, 11:32:32 AM »

I noticed there aren't many high-tech ships- and the vanilla game's high-tech frigates aren't exactly sexy (Aside from the beautiful Wolf of course). Maybe some for this mod?
If by "good guys" you mean "elitist regime that suppresses colonial independence and thrives off of an overwhelmingly deep gap in wealth between social classes," then yes.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 28, 2013, 02:36:23 PM »

I noticed there aren't many high-tech ships- and the vanilla game's high-tech frigates aren't exactly sexy (Aside from the beautiful Wolf of course). Maybe some for this mod?

there's already many high-tech capital ship in fact, with much fewer low-tech/mid-tech ones

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 29, 2013, 06:34:54 AM »

@Vinya and Phyrex
Yes, there aren't that many high-tech ships in the game. However, we are discussing adding a capital ship, of which there are actually quite a few high-tech ones.

I'll be working on turning the Prometheus into a low-tech capital ship.

In other news, I am nearly done with the campaign mode.  :o

It proved easier than I had estimated. Corvus will be replaced with the Iota star system (from the story-driven missions). It will keep all the familiar factions (Hegemony, Tri-tachyon, pirates, independents) and receive several new ones comprised from TuP ships. Like "Maas Mining, Inc." and "Iota IV Planetary Defense Force". And several familiar unique ships will pop up, such as the ISS Horizon's taskforce.  :D

And when we finally get multiple star systems? Then Iota can go in as an extra system.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 06:36:32 AM by Erick Doe »

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 29, 2013, 08:20:08 AM »

I can only work on java stuff for so long before getting the desire to do artwork:

Here's the much needed buffalo based Bumblebee. I'm sure some of you will be able to recognise what inspired me.  ;)

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 29, 2013, 08:53:41 AM »

@Vinya and Phyrex
Yes, there aren't that many high-tech ships in the game. However, we are discussing adding a capital ship, of which there are actually quite a few high-tech ones.

actually only vinya suggested high-tech capital ship, i suggested the opposite...
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 48