Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A Bunch Of Suggestions  (Read 2667 times)

mostmodest

• Commander
    • View Profile
A Bunch Of Suggestions
« on: March 05, 2013, 03:13:31 AM »

I was thinking about a few features for Starsector while I was mucking out my guinea pigs' cages. Here they are:
1. Mining: Basically, something similar to Verrius' Fleet Control mod, maybe with a sort of minigame involving blowing up the asteroids and picking up resources or something. The resources could then be converted into materials (i.e. metals, alloys, supplies (see point 2)
2. Farming: Have the ability to "seed" a planet with animal life, usually in the form of a ranch; or set up a space ranch. When combined with metals in a production facility, they form supplies.
3. Facilities and add-ons: I got to thinking about the ABS orbiting Corvus 1 (or is it 2?) and decided that it might be useful to become the player's Orbital Station. Basically, you purchase add-ons such as a refinery (turns ores into metals), production facility (turns metals+livestock into supplies), Ship part facilities (one for engines, one for hull, one for armor, one for systems, etc., etc.), ship construction facilities (combines ship parts). These facilities could all cost credits to create, and the ship parts/ ship combining could cost resources and credits.
4. Blueprints: Exactly what the name implies. Finding blueprints in mining as a rare drop (~0.001% or something) to represent people hiding them in the collapse could be for things such as ship parts (i.e. weapons, armor, engines, systems, etc). Also, can be found when cannibalizing ships (see point 5).
5. Cannibalizing ships: Basically, scrapping a ship feels so meaningless to me, so I thought it would be a decent idea to cannibalize ships for weapons and blueprints as opposed to leaving them floating in space.
Yes, you are reading to far into this.

Decer304

• Commander
  • Starsector starts with the letter "S"
    • View Profile
Re: A Bunch Of Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 03:48:45 AM »

I think Alex already mentioned about having those ideas implemented in future updates
"Kat, 6, push back the attack on Sword Base find out what we are dealing with"

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 07:16:34 AM »

1. basically yes (part of the economy i think)
2. same as 1.
3. yes, what the outposts tab will probably be used for :)
4. For sure.
5. No mention as of yet but blueprints are supposed to be exceedingly rare :)

Decer304

• Commander
  • Starsector starts with the letter "S"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 11:40:05 PM »

If the campaign was put in later, you could use blueprints to tell a part of the story. Like you can catagorise them, say red blueprints are early epoch, so when you find them, it tells you about the early epoch time, how it came to power, how it collapsed etc.

Yellow could be Expantion epoch, and find them could tell you about what happened then, what did people do? etc.

Blue could be for modern epoch and finding them could be for something like, how energy weapons was developed, talk about the conflicts, etc.

It'll be like collectables, but with actual benefit for both gameplay and story, and with luck.
"Kat, 6, push back the attack on Sword Base find out what we are dealing with"

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 02:40:25 AM »

I was thinking about a few features for Starsector while I was mucking out my guinea pigs' cages.

I am disappointed that there seems to be no connection to guinea pigs whatsoever in your suggestions. >:(
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 03:46:58 AM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

mostmodest

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 03:09:23 AM »

Suggestion number 6. Rodent class fighters: small, and extremely agile, yet very weak. These fighters require 10 crew to keep them in a constant sate of cleanliness, as the ship manages to produce waste at an impossibly fast rate. (these ships are usually only purchased for their comfortable fur seats.)

For Gothars :D
Yes, you are reading to far into this.

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 03:11:02 AM »

Suggestion number 6. Rodent class fighters: small, and extremely agile, yet very weak. These fighters require 10 crew to keep them in a constant sate of cleanliness, as the ship manages to produce waste at an impossibly fast rate. (these ships are usually only purchased for their comfortable fur seats.)

For Gothars :D
and amazing ability to hide in the smallest of places, while being completely reluctant to engage in any useful activity, and still can remain loveable.
 :P
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 03:24:14 AM by Pelhamds »