Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: PD missiles  (Read 5175 times)

mostmodest

• Commander
    • View Profile
PD missiles
« on: March 04, 2013, 12:47:07 AM »

I was thinking about the weapons in Starsector, and one thing that I noticed is that there are no PD missile launchers. I mean, there could be some in mods, but I haven't seen any in the vanilla game. So I got to thinking about how it would work, and this is (roughly) what I came up with.
It would be mainly anti-fighter, but could be used for missile interceptions. It would be fast, but very weak (maybe enough damage to take out a missile, but nothing more. It would have relatively high ammo (20-30 missiles for a small mount, capacity increasing with mount size) and would take up about 7-8 OP for a small mount.

It may not be implemented, but it was an idea that could work with minor tweaking.
Yes, you are reading to far into this.

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: PD missiles
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 01:23:49 AM »

I was thinking about the weapons in Starsector, and one thing that I noticed is that there are no PD missile launchers. I mean, there could be some in mods, but I haven't seen any in the vanilla game. So I got to thinking about how it would work, and this is (roughly) what I came up with.
It would be mainly anti-fighter, but could be used for missile interceptions. It would be fast, but very weak (maybe enough damage to take out a missile, but nothing more. It would have relatively high ammo (20-30 missiles for a small mount, capacity increasing with mount size) and would take up about 7-8 OP for a small mount.

It may not be implemented, but it was an idea that could work with minor tweaking.
I think its a good idea, but I would increase the ammo for one as if its a PD system it needs to shoot out a large quantity to (hopefully) hit a missile, and I would increase the OP to 10 as it seems like a military weapon so not widely available for commercial use.

As a anti-fighter weapon it would be affective against the low end ships more I am guessing unless there is a EMP/Kinetic version that is affective at shielded light frigates/corvettes and shielded fighters/interceptors?

mostmodest

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 01:37:34 AM »

I think its a good idea, but I would increase the ammo for one as if its a PD system it needs to shoot out a large quantity to (hopefully) hit a missile, and I would increase the OP to 10 as it seems like a military weapon so not widely available for commercial use.
I was thinking of having a low ammo so that people don't fly up to a capital and unleash 500 of these at once from ten different ports.
Maybe a MIRV/annihilator type system could be initiated wherein a missile is fired, which flies a certain range before releasing a "cloud" of 10-ish small missle-ettes come out. This would help in taking down a missile by making the missile have to fly through a "minefield" (for want of a better term).

As a anti-fighter weapon it would be affective against the low end ships more I am guessing unless there is a EMP/Kinetic version that is affective at shielded light frigates/corvettes and shielded fighters/interceptors?

There may end up being other varieties of it, from small kinetic missiles (Mini-Sabots) to fragmentation missiles (the MIRV-type mentioned above)

Then again, this is all up to Alex to decide.
Yes, you are reading to far into this.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 03:46:05 AM »

I was thinking of having a low ammo so that people don't fly up to a capital and unleash 500 of these at once from ten different ports.
Maybe a MIRV/annihilator type system could be initiated wherein a missile is fired, which flies a certain range before releasing a "cloud" of 10-ish small missle-ettes come out. This would help in taking down a missile by making the missile have to fly through a "minefield" (for want of a better term).

I love this part of the idea, Sorta like a portable flak burst :)
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 12:09:16 PM »

Technically the swarmer is "PD" but but i have never used it in such a capacity

Sarolveldruk

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 12:18:08 PM »

The Active Flares ability behaves a lot like what you suggest. Since this sort of thing is already tied in with ship systems, I think it might be difficult to implement as a missile weapon without causing some balancing issues.

robokill

• Captain
  • Hey, over there stop looking at my guns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 03:08:49 PM »

So I got my medium mount 20 ammo missle that plots and intercept course to the highest threat a torpedo instead of a harpoon or a piranha instead of a wasp. Spout reaching a distance it MIRV bursts 1000 mg size round killing whatever it was. This world not be op because fragmentation damage plus 2 damage apiece means the armor of any frigate or bigger would take 0 damage unless its either got no armoire or shields whitch if whass like that it should die regardless or star sector is like Pokemon where you must take 1 damage.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 04:10:37 PM »

So I got my medium mount 20 ammo missle that plots and intercept course to the highest threat a torpedo instead of a harpoon or a piranha instead of a wasp. Spout reaching a distance it MIRV bursts 1000 mg size round killing whatever it was. This world not be op because fragmentation damage plus 2 damage apiece means the armor of any frigate or bigger would take 0 damage unless its either got no armoire or shields whitch if whass like that it should die regardless or star sector is like Pokemon where you must take 1 damage.
Upload it?
- Albert Einstein

robokill

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 06:02:35 PM »

Maybe I'll have solider repurpose lrm mount with the specs. It's all theoretical at this point.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 06:10:34 PM »

Maybe I'll have solider repurpose lrm mount with the specs. It's all theoretical at this point.
Ah :P
- Albert Einstein

robokill

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 06:18:11 PM »

Would be sweet though.

DelicateTask

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 08:18:11 AM »

Here's a thought, and I don't know how doable it is for modders, but a small, fast missile that has a proximity fuse for other missiles that explodes into flares like the ship system. Problem is, that pretty much makes the ship system useless. Still, interesting idea.

billi999

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 10:51:54 AM »

I've tried making MIRV PD missiles before, I had the missile splitting into 2 like a claw shape, but it doesn't seem to work as it doesn't target missiles even with the PD hint.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 11:35:29 AM »

maybe u didn't give it enough ammo, how much ammo did it have?

I think AI doesn't auto fire at 30 > max ammo count
mmm.... tartiflette

Sonlirain

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 02:31:17 PM »

I've tried making MIRV PD missiles before, I had the missile splitting into 2 like a claw shape, but it doesn't seem to work as it doesn't target missiles even with the PD hint.

The scrappers mod has PD missiles that prioritize missiles over fighters.
You might want to look at them.
I think they're called "gnats".
Pages: [1] 2