Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Make Fortress Shield Flux Buildup Scale with Shield Efficiency  (Read 1517 times)

zakastra

• Commander
    • View Profile
Make Fortress Shield Flux Buildup Scale with Shield Efficiency
« on: February 28, 2013, 02:03:28 PM »

I think it would be worthwhile to have passive hard flux buildup whilst fortress shield is active tied to the shield efficiency of the craft.

When shield efficiency gets very high (with Elite Crew, Hullmods and Skillpoints) Its often better to tank the incoming damage with normal shields as the hard-flux buildup form incoming fire is less than what the fortress shield would generate. Especially if you get the 10 point perk in power grid modulation

I'm fine with ship specials that require thought to use well, or that have a situational role, But I think fortress shields are very difficult to use positively at present. (that's the feeling I get, hard math may prove me wrong)

The tweak I would make assuming the Special is balanced for a vanilla paragon with regular crew and the default 0.6 Shield efficiency, bringing the shield efficiency up to 0.3 should have the hard flux generation, and lowering the efficiency to 0.9 should make it generate 50% more hard flux whilst running.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 02:05:17 PM by zakastra »
Oh DRM, bane of the carrier captain...

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Make Fortress Shield Flux Buildup Scale with Shield Efficiency
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 02:29:09 PM »

As I understand it, the hard flux generated by the fortress shield is (now) tied to the normal shield maintenance cost.  So, it has three primary uses:
1: Tanking excessive bursts of incoming fire - generally this means flicking it on for a moment to absorb a torpedo, sabot SRM, or gauss cannon hit.
2: Allowing more rapid dissipation of soft flux while under fire - this comes up if you have flux-hungry weapons like heavy blasters or plasma cannons; if your hard flux is low, and your soft flux is high, you can use fortress shields to maximize your recovery rate.  The cost is that you'll often build up a bit more hard flux than if you just hit hold fire, but the advantage is being able to resume fire sooner.
3: Tanking absurd amounts of incoming damage - for example, if you cruise up next to an Onslaught, you probably want to just leave fortress shields on until the Onslaught is high on flux and can no longer sustain its full firepower.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.