Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Saga of Seven Suns mod?  (Read 1582 times)

mostmodest

• Commander
    • View Profile
Saga of Seven Suns mod?
« on: February 27, 2013, 01:10:19 AM »

Hello, modding community. :D
I was wondering if it was possible to make a Saga of Sevens Suns mod for this game. (Book series by Kevin J Anderson)
I'm not sure if it breaches copyright or anything, but the idea of the Hansa, Faeros, Wentals, Hydrogues, Verdani, Klikiss and Illdirans going at war seems rather fun to me.
Yes, you are reading to far into this.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
Re: Saga of Seven Suns mod?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 12:35:35 PM »

As long as credit is given to the original creators for your inspiration, I don't see why not
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
Re: Saga of Seven Suns mod?
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 12:48:39 PM »

Unfortunately this issue comes up pretty often in modding forums the world over, and the correct answer is that you must have the permission of the original content's owner.

If the owner finds out about an infringement and asks us to take it down, we will do so immediately and will err on the side of caution so as to reduce the potential liability to Fractal Softworks.

On the bright side, it's usually not an issue for projects that aren't-for-profit; i.e., enforcement is generally nil. But there can be only one correct, official answer to your original question. Also, most content owners (video game studios, artists, authors, et cetera) are usually pretty good-natured about getting additional free visibility for their work, and will usually merely require (as sproginator suggests) that you give full credit on the original post and/or download page for your mod so that it's clear who the original content belonged to.

If you feel intimidated about trying to acquire said permission, feel free to contact me privately and I might be able to help.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 12:53:17 PM by Trylobot »