Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]

Author Topic: Combat Readiness  (Read 108317 times)

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Combat Readiness
« Reply #195 on: March 08, 2013, 04:01:49 PM »

I've not been on these forums in a long time, but I'm here to say that this is the most genius game mechanic I've seen in a while. The amount of depth it adds, the number of events it could represent...

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 09, 2013, 07:03:21 AM »

Drones and fighters regeneration shoud be limited.

Like max 3 drones or 5 wings without additional cost to CR, it will be stupid when on drone deployment engine suddently gone offline...

deacceleration, shields, weapons shoud cost some CR, everything else shoud be included into deployment cost.

emp and hull\armor damage also shoud drain CR

Talkie Toaster

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 10, 2013, 03:59:15 PM »

Quote from: RawCode link=topic=5643.msg90958#msg90958

deacceleration, shields, weapons shoud cost some CR, everything else shoud be included into deployment cost.

This, to me, seems like a really bad idea. It forces you to second-guess everything you do- the optimal behaviour is then to move as little as possible, shoot rarely, not use shields... Essentially not 'play' the game. Those actions are fun, they shouldn't be penalised. Reducing CR on hull damage is also a bit iffy as you already suffer a supply cost to repair- reducing CR in-battle from damage will lead to death-spirals. The most memorable fights are those where it comes down to the wire. With death spiral mechanics, they're rarer.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 10, 2013, 05:31:34 PM »

I don't think shooting, moving, and shielding should cost CR, but armor/hull damage that's likely to break something in the interior should.

I'm kinda bothered by the idea that a ship can function just fine right up until the moment everything breaks down and it's destroyed
mmm.... tartiflette

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 10, 2013, 05:34:04 PM »

I'm going to agree with Talkie Toaster. Making those actions cost CR wouldn't be fun, nor would it add that much depth to the game. It would just be annoying.

These two however, I agree with, provided that hull/armor damage drains CR INDIRECTLY, as in the ship's CR drains as you repair the damage.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 11, 2013, 04:33:41 AM »

I think CR cost for re-activating damaged subsystems would make hull/armor CR-degeneration superfluous, since the two things usually occur together.
What hull damage already influences is your long-term ability to regain CR, since it draws upon the same resource (supplies).

How about removing that ability away from EMP weapons and instead make it so that a damaged gun/engine decreases CR more? Maybe even let it decrease CR during a battle for all ship sizes? Repairing a module during a battle is something that might even involve a crew member going into space - you don't have to go into that much detail. I'm pretty sure that it's rather taxing on the crew, and if you fight a larger enemy you can decrease his effectiveness in battle by targeting his weapons/engines.

Interesting idea, and falls in line nicely with other things like missile weapon use reducing CR. Wrote it down as something to try out.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #201 on: March 14, 2013, 05:36:10 AM »

From patch notes:
Extra CR cost for using missile weapons in combat, based on ammo remaining
Reduced missile ammo at below 30%, missile weapons at 0 ammo at 10%
Waaaaaaaaaai? Did missiles really need a nerf? (Also, why aren't ballistics affected?)

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 14, 2013, 12:04:44 PM »

Waaaaaaaaaai? Did missiles really need a nerf? (Also, why aren't ballistics affected?)

This is actually a criticism I agree with - I rarely use missiles because they just don't seem very effective compared to ballistics and energy weapons, so making them costlier to use to boot seems like a bad call.

L33tGuilty

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 21, 2013, 09:09:20 AM »

Ok, sounds good :) 

now ....

when does patch comes ?? :D

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile