Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14

Author Topic: Combat Readiness  (Read 108319 times)

Sonlirain

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Combat Readiness
« Reply #135 on: February 23, 2013, 06:55:16 PM »

Good - All those freighters and tankers will now have a real use!
Bad - Playing with one ship will likely become impossible (My dreams of being a solo mercentary Minotaur captain just got shattered since i will have to keep at least 2 support frigates in tow now).

Degraine

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 23, 2013, 09:12:34 PM »

We still haven't seen the full picture yet, don't forget that crew rating does affect readiness, so it should be (ideally) entirely possible to maintain a single ship. It might even be easier if there's some kind of logistics penalty for larger fleets.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #137 on: February 23, 2013, 10:35:51 PM »

Cargo bay/fuel tank hullmods so solo ships can go on adventures without a supply bus in tow?
(Obviously needs to not be better for "normal" (multi-ship) fleets than bringing actual supply ships)

FloW

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 24, 2013, 01:23:21 AM »

I've started a "Only-Frig" playthrough to check how long most of my battles take and realized one thing:
If I take on a hostile fleet that is too large to be destroyed within about 3-5 minutes and I decide to retreat, my fleet gets either destroyed or heavily damaged. Will I just have to attack smaller fleets or will frigates be immune to "damage by retreating", thus allowing more of a hit-and-run style?
"The point is, you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might just as well give in and save your sanity for later.''
- Ford Prefect, creator of the giraffe; a very long time ago

zakastra

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 24, 2013, 02:11:41 AM »

I know that adding skills is something to wait on until after the initial implementation, and the feedback from the howling masses, but I think it would be good if it were touched on in more than one skill tree, Leadership could have a strong effect through Drills, high crew morale and discipline, But technology could also achieve the same or better results through more robust components and systems, Multiple redundancy, and system reconfiguration, Combat through a near perfect understanding of just how far and when you can push your beloved baby and Industry from a steady supply of superior grade, high quality parts and materials, and small luxuries for the crew
Oh DRM, bane of the carrier captain...

Hypilein

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 24, 2013, 04:25:10 AM »

Cargo bay/fuel tank hullmods so solo ships can go on adventures without a supply bus in tow?
(Obviously needs to not be better for "normal" (multi-ship) fleets than bringing actual supply ships)

I think this is something for mods to do. (I think it's possible already?). Generally a lot of things that are for very specific playstyles can be done by utility mods and I expect to see more of them to deal with those issues rather than screwing with overall game balance.

Degraine

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 24, 2013, 05:38:48 PM »

So how is CR going to work with auto-resolve? Do we have to pick what ships to send in before hitting the 'let your 2IC handle the engagement' button, or will it just sort of figure that out itself?

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 24, 2013, 06:18:07 PM »

So how is CR going to work with auto-resolve? Do we have to pick what ships to send in before hitting the 'let your 2IC handle the engagement' button, or will it just sort of figure that out itself?

Good question; still working it out. I'm not all that sure auto-resolve is necessary right now, if there's still incentive to fight a challenging battle even if your fleet outmatches the enemy. But, yeah, still working on that.

I'd hope that it will stay in some quick and rough form that allows you to autoresolve if you don't care too much about CR inefficiency. Maybe auto-use a fleet strength of enemy FP+50% or something. Selecting the ships to participate from hand is just too tedious for a quick resolve feature.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 24, 2013, 06:20:47 PM »

Would that (finally) introduce a major performance difference to carriers? Like the Gemini being able to refit 5 wings and the Astral 50? 

Not quite certain how the details will pan out, but that seems likely.

Good - All those freighters and tankers will now have a real use!
Bad - Playing with one ship will likely become impossible (My dreams of being a solo mercentary Minotaur captain just got shattered since i will have to keep at least 2 support frigates in tow now).

I wouldn't go quite that far with conclusions quite yet :)

I've started a "Only-Frig" playthrough to check how long most of my battles take and realized one thing:
If I take on a hostile fleet that is too large to be destroyed within about 3-5 minutes and I decide to retreat, my fleet gets either destroyed or heavily damaged. Will I just have to attack smaller fleets or will frigates be immune to "damage by retreating", thus allowing more of a hit-and-run style?

This touches on what's likely to be the subject of the next blog post, so I'll just talk about it then. Not ready to discuss it yet.

I know that adding skills is something to wait on until after the initial implementation, and the feedback from the howling masses, but I think it would be good if it were touched on in more than one skill tree, Leadership could have a strong effect through Drills, high crew morale and discipline, But technology could also achieve the same or better results through more robust components and systems, Multiple redundancy, and system reconfiguration, Combat through a near perfect understanding of just how far and when you can push your beloved baby and Industry from a steady supply of superior grade, high quality parts and materials, and small luxuries for the crew

Good points all, I think.

There's a good chance that the autoresolve option won't be available in the next release. It might not, though, or it could come back later.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 24, 2013, 06:51:16 PM »

The upcoming campaign changes, do you think they will work well within the scope of a single system? Or will we need.. more? Cough.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 24, 2013, 07:17:11 PM »

The upcoming campaign changes, do you think they will work well within the scope of a single system? Or will we need.. more? Cough.

Good question :) I suspect they might not. In fact, regardless of how much coughing-induced-inference actually pans out for the next version, I wouldn't be surprised if the next release is less... stand-alone, I guess you could say. Corvus is just full of stuff right now - all the ships, weapons, factions, a ton of fleets.

Until the "real" campaign mechanics and content reach a critical mass, though, things might get a little awkward. I'll definitely have to pare down from the overflowing state Corvus is in right now, but I'm also not planning on spending a whole lot of time building temporary scaffolding around these "real" mechanics. So, you might see a build where a lot of ships or weapons simply aren't available in whatever corner of the Sector it features, that sort of thing.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 24, 2013, 07:23:30 PM »

So, you might see a build where a lot of ships or weapons simply aren't available in whatever corner of the Sector it features, that sort of thing.

not sure if I'm reading this right....

So some features aren't gonna be available in campaign, despite being in the game? wha?

is this like the omen and the trident in older releases? Or is this something else?
mmm.... tartiflette

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 24, 2013, 07:35:22 PM »

So, you might see a build where a lot of ships or weapons simply aren't available in whatever corner of the Sector it features, that sort of thing.

not sure if I'm reading this right....

So some features aren't gonna be available in campaign, despite being in the game? wha?

is this like the omen and the trident in older releases? Or is this something else?

Yeah, pretty much. Like I said before, Corvus has everything and the kitchen sink in it, and that's not sustainable going forward, not until that critical mass is reached. I mean, you're probably not going to be facing the Hegemony SDF until the Hegemony actually "works" and the mechanics/economy support it, and on the flip side, you might not have access to Onslaughts, either, because no-one has the wherewithal so sell/manufacture them.

Could do something like a station with all the ships/weapons, ofc, but that might not be desirable for other reasons. So, will have to see. I'll do my best to make each release as playable as possible, for some value of "my best" that doesn't involve an undue amount of effort that's wasted long-term.

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 24, 2013, 08:52:55 PM »

Good question :) I suspect they might not. In fact, regardless of how much coughing-induced-inference actually pans out for the next version, I wouldn't be surprised if the next release is less... stand-alone, I guess you could say. Corvus is just full of stuff right now - all the ships, weapons, factions, a ton of fleets.

Until the "real" campaign mechanics and content reach a critical mass, though, things might get a little awkward. I'll definitely have to pare down from the overflowing state Corvus is in right now, but I'm also not planning on spending a whole lot of time building temporary scaffolding around these "real" mechanics. So, you might see a build where a lot of ships or weapons simply aren't available in whatever corner of the Sector it features, that sort of thing.
Quote from: Patch Notes

Added to SectorAPI:
List<StarSystemAPI> getStarSystems() // returns just the one atm
Called it, don't get me wrong combat is fun and all but when sectors (or is it systems) are added that is when the real fun begins <Devil/EvilGrinEmoticonThatTheForumInexplicablyLacks>

what are the chances that one could it so that certain ships lose CR at a faster rate than others?

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 08:57:52 PM by sdmike1 »

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 24, 2013, 09:17:02 PM »

Good points all, I think.

In that case, you could also make the argument that you can improve the various stats associated with CR just by leveling up. Being more experienced and wiser for it, a captain would understand the importance of efficiency, being prepared, and how to achieve that.

It's hard to say what aptitude in particular CR would fall under. I mean, Leadership is probably the most obvious one since it's currently the most lacking in choices, but for any other aptitude I feel that any CR bonus should be consigned to lv5 or lv10 perks rather than being the main focus of a skill. Just my 2ยข.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14