Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14

Author Topic: Combat Readiness  (Read 108960 times)

zakastra

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Combat Readiness
« Reply #180 on: March 06, 2013, 01:16:57 AM »

Come now, the Enterprise is a pretty big ship, and they are breaking their engines going too fast practically every other episode, its not the actual speed that is critical, its how far you push that vessel past its intended cruising speed that causes the problems. An onslaught may need to go 5 SU faster for the same reasons that a frigate might push an extra 50, but the engine damage is going to be just as serious in each case.
Oh DRM, bane of the carrier captain...

MindsEye

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 06, 2013, 03:48:07 AM »

Ya thats kinda my point. Onslaught goes what 20? A frig can go 200? See the difference.it doesnt seem realistic to me that they both cant go the same speed unless they have different types of engines. Large ship engines are more suited for moving mass and smaller ones for speed. Large ships mostly try to get somewhere and frigs are constantly dodging missiles and working their hardest to get in and out of range without dieing. Also the enterprise could only hold their top speed for so long and thier engines would break down. There are alot of things that arent totally logical about the game like a top speed or that when you hit the thrusters you slow down or if gothar sug is added that when you coast you slow down. I also dont think adding a cr penalty only to frigs during battle is very realistic either. Itis a game and it seems logical that using engines would create heat or use power(flux)

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 06, 2013, 07:00:31 AM »

Cuz balance :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 07:05:55 AM by sdmike1 »

MindsEye

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 06, 2013, 09:47:21 AM »

Ya or cuz balance

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 06, 2013, 10:17:48 AM »

Balance, in all things.

MindsEye

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 06, 2013, 10:19:56 AM »

Also sprinkle techno babble

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 06, 2013, 10:33:31 AM »

Not just balance. Go ahead and raise all speeds up to 1000000 (max combat speed is 666 I think). Do you know what happens?

It all goes to (a funny and amusing) hell.
Say I drive an Onslaught towards a ship. I happen to hold the w key too long and all a sudden my speed is 200. Now I wait as I fly by my target, barely firing a couple of shots at it.

It gets even worse with burn drive- Engage it once, and you're going 600 su/s. Do you know how hard it is to slow down in a huge ship? :p
Also, talons become op. Any ship with the ability to control these available speeds is essential to combat and can literaly run rings around the ships struggling to catch up/slow down.

And worst of all, the combat barrier. Hit it, and you're going 626 su/s in the opposite direction, facing wherever. In fact, you find yourself trying to keep speed down to control it. If only there was a barrier to stop me from going out of control...

Full circle.
The community's response to a change is inversely proportional to its importance.

What do you call a dog who's a magician? A labracadabra

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 06, 2013, 11:13:10 AM »

Just FYI, the limit isn't 666 :) It's 600 + whatever acceleration a ship's engines can manage within a single frame, give or take.

MindsEye

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 06, 2013, 03:26:22 PM »

Just to clarify I am not advocating for unlimited speeds. It was merely an illustration to show that not everything can make perfect sense when it comes to a game.Mostly I am for making things make reasonable sense while keeping or raising the fun factor  ;)

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 07, 2013, 04:22:27 AM »

Not just balance. Go ahead and raise all speeds up to 1000000 (max combat speed is 666 I think). Do you know what happens?

Aren't you just implementing reality in a very bad way?
There are lots of argument against a gameplay feature based in reality like this. It starts off by taking some aspect of reality, and then bashing it into the game in the worst possible way imaginable, and finally concluding that reality would never equal good gameplay if it's given precedent based on this example that was made to fail.

There are other means to make it such that reality and good gameplay go hand in hand. Drawing up an argument where you play out the opposing side with the worst possible argument imaginable (IE. where there is no attempt at integrating reality and gameplay at all) doesn't make it a very convincing one. In fact, it is a strawman.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 07, 2013, 01:39:34 PM »

Sorry about that. Never was very good at arguments :p

But still, the speeds you get now are good
The community's response to a change is inversely proportional to its importance.

What do you call a dog who's a magician? A labracadabra

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 07, 2013, 01:43:57 PM »

Will we have more control over which ships join small scale engagements?
I've never paid close attention to what the FP totals have to be before you select which ships enter the fray. It would be useful to limit which ships fight even at small scale.

I know it probably won't be implemented right away (if ever) , but will there be some sort of sprite based display of low CR? Kind of like the awesome sparks when all the armor has been blown off in one area.
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 07, 2013, 05:15:58 PM »

I was just thinking about the Tempest and something occurred to me. Instead of having Terminator drones slowly being regenerated for free, could you instead have the regeneration of Terminator drones be tied to CR? This could be applied to any drone, really.

You could have a pool of replacement drones that, once exhausted, could be replaced at the cost of CR. Recalling your drones could halt the process, so you don't have to waste CR replacing the drones if you don't want to.

So that brings up the question, are there any plans to make any ship system use tied to CR at all?

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 07, 2013, 05:49:48 PM »

I was just thinking about the Tempest and something occurred to me. Instead of having Terminator drones slowly being regenerated for free, could you instead have the regeneration of Terminator drones be tied to CR? This could be applied to any drone, really.

You could have a pool of replacement drones that, once exhausted, could be replaced at the cost of CR. Recalling your drones could halt the process, so you don't have to waste CR replacing the drones if you don't want to.

So that brings up the question, are there any plans to make any ship system use tied to CR at all?

All drone replacement could cost CR.

Awesome idea. That would make the recall function even more valuable and add more interesting choices in combat.

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 08, 2013, 07:25:05 AM »

All drone replacement could cost CR.

Awesome idea. That would make the recall function even more valuable and add more interesting choices in combat.
And it would make the terminator drone ever so slightly less OP :D
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14