Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Any sound teasers for Mr. StianStark to share? :D  (Read 20324 times)

pigreko

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Any sound teasers for Mr. StianStark to share? :D
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 10:49:30 AM »

there are 2 energy weapons with a sensible charin' up: the plasma cannon and the high intensity laser.
I imagine this free space sound with the T.lance, cause it is actually sorta of a powerhouse beam projectile... I'm not seing it as a beam sound, cause they fire continuously

I'm dying of curiosity about the new sounds.

StianStark

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • Music & Sound
    • View Profile
    • Stian Stark - Game Audio Forge
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 02:56:29 PM »

These beam sounds are pretty nice, but they are indeed very different to the vast majority of beam weapon sounds in StarSector where there are very few charge up phases and continuous beam sounds. What I'm mostly grappling with is a satisfying new sound for a short beam weapon burst or "pew pew" sound.

Stay tuned, but don't die of curiosity, that would be unfortunate.  ;)
www.stianstark.com /// Twitter @stianstark

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 04:11:36 PM »

Here's a bit of Nexus:

Those lasers are certainly pew-pew, but they have a nice tremolo to them that feels as if the sound could barely contain all the power of the shot. If you know what I mean.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 01:39:13 PM »

Something I've tried is a sound with very little tonal content, but tons of modulation and comb filtering or phasing. It's the tonality that makes for the cheesiness of the common pewpew noise.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 02:21:45 PM »

I'd say it wouldn't hurt to delve into the world of deep neurofunk, deathstep, darkstep, particularly the new and most mutant stuff from say Sinister Souls, Bratkilla, Calyx & Teebee, maybe some of Noisia's older stuff, Spor, Feed Me, Killsonik, Skream, Firestep, Emperor, Ed Rush, Optical - that's a few I can at least think of. Particular sounds from them can sound just absurdly unrealistic, especially the more you delve into the arrhythmic stuff. There is a TON of work into those sounds though.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2013, 02:47:22 PM »

I'd say it wouldn't hurt to delve into the world of deep neurofunk, deathstep, darkstep, particularly the new and most mutant stuff from say Sinister Souls, Bratkilla, Calyx & Teebee, maybe some of Noisia's older stuff, Spor, Feed Me, Killsonik, Skream, Firestep, Emperor, Ed Rush, Optical - that's a few I can at least think of. Particular sounds from them can sound just absurdly unrealistic, especially the more you delve into the arrhythmic stuff. There is a TON of work into those sounds though.
DIE.

(That should be all that should be said about your dalliances into the dark and disgusting world of "music")

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 04:18:24 PM by Pelhamds »

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2013, 03:31:06 PM »

DIE.

(That should be all that should be said about your alliances into the dark and disgusting world of "music")

Not OK. You've got a PM.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2013, 09:12:33 PM »

DIE.

(That should be all that should be said about your dalliances into the dark and disgusting world of "music")

To translate that into more... discussionable terms:

I would disagree with the use of dubstep and/or most other types of orchestral music in a space/sci-fi game. Personal taste notwithstanding, I feel it is vastly overdone in games of that setting. My initial preference would be something largely orchestral (possibly with "heavier" elements to it, though that would purely be my metalhead side manifesting :P) or possibly a country/western theme (Firefly was fantastic for that, as an example.).

JT

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 01:10:32 AM »

Country would be terrible in my opinion, especially if aiming for a dark and gritty feel with the rest of the sound effects. It would certainly win over the Firefly fans, but chances are good that Fractal have tapped all five of us out already. ;-)

I say keep it consistent with the existing droning ambient theme that plays on the menu, since it's already dark and humourless, and implies a feeling of emptiness, vastness, and fear. Anything that avoids classical instrumentation, especially steering clear of actual sound bytes of real musical instruments in order to avoid the crispness, is really what's needed to maintain that style.

(The one thing about Caelus that drives me insane is the airy classical music it adds.) [edit]Not Corvus, Caelus. Three of six/seven letters in common makes that a likely error. ;-)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 01:23:17 AM by JT »

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2013, 01:52:09 PM »

DIE.

To translate that into more... discussionable terms:

I would disagree with the use of dubstep and/or most other types of orchestral music in a space/sci-fi game. Personal taste notwithstanding, I feel it is vastly overdone in games of that setting. My initial preference would be something largely orchestral (possibly with "heavier" elements to it, though that would purely be my metalhead side manifesting :P) or possibly a country/western theme (Firefly was fantastic for that, as an example.).
If you want a single example of where dubstep and generally that sort of dark style music was used absolutely spot on perfectly, check out the soundtrack to DmC Devil May Cry from Noisia. Some of that is neurofunk, some of that is dubstep, some of that is ambience. Dubstep intrinsically began as chilled out basslines even if it grew up alongside modern day grime in London. Then it started to really... mutate. Without really delving too far into how people like Benga, Skream, Rusko, Caspa, Emalkay and modern producers like Culprate, xKore, Skism and so forth began to really hammer down the route of making it as henched out as possible, you can easily extract sounds that would do perfectly to barely contain the potential energy within them. Skrillex, which is what everybody knows as dubstep, is a particularly harsh side of affairs (though not quite at the level of Bratkilla, Mantis, Firestep etc.) it goes MUCH deeper than that, even if you look on the more closed channels like UKF, you'll still find that kind of dub.
And really, who says dubstep doesn't perfectly match up to orchestral tunes?
Dubstep isn't about wubwubwub - it's about personal style and how you work in that kind of zone. I dare yeh, try comparing to .

And I mean, come on - you'd prefer it if when you fired your HIL instead of the current *thzzz* you got a tremendous *ZUUUUM* or something that causes your headphones to vibrate or such - all doable, and people haven't really scratched that surface of what the synths and such are really capable of. We can do heavy - VERY easily, and even a country or western theme can be done - though how well, I dunno.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 02:16:13 PM »

I would like different styles for different circumstances. Maybe the Hegemony core worlds are filled with militaristic-classical tones, waltz or march music. In Tri-Tachyon dominated space electronic music could be prevalent, in remote  outskirts of the sector firefly inspired western themes would be fitting. I think it's a great opportunity to build and support the feeling of the different factions and locations.

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2013, 02:23:50 PM »

I would like different styles for different circumstances. Maybe the Hegemony core worlds are filled with militaristic-classical tones, waltz or march music. In Tri-Tachyon dominated space electronic music could be prevalent, in remote  outskirts of the sector firefly inspired western themes would be fitting. I think it's a great opportunity to build and support the feeling of the different factions and locations.
o o o o o ! Western themes! There is one i heard recently that I think fits the space theme (might even be in a game)

Cargo Commander OST/Down the Drain, I think?

And this would be good for the Hegemony:

For the Tri-Tachyon maybe this style:

StianStark

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • Music & Sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2013, 03:24:02 PM »

Thanks for all the interesting pointers - I'm certainly interested in anything original sounding irrespective of source. Electronic music continues to be at the forefront of discovery when it comes to new sounds and anyone with a passion for sound should keep their ears open even if new material comes in the guise of a musical genre one is not necessarily too accustomed to.

My main concern regarding sound design is that weapons (and everything really) should have a sound that feels somehow physical. Like the sound is coming from machinery with actual moving parts and so forth. Most scifi sounds are purely synthesized and to me are the exact opposite of that - somehow "bodiless" and inorganic. It's certainly possible to make synthesized sounds more complex and lifelike but it's always a masquerade, real sound is just real.

There was already some talk regarding music for factions in an older thread. It's still very much undecided on what campaign mode music is based on - ruling faction (hegemony, tri-tach etc.) or type of space (populated, unpopulated but explored, unexplored, dangerous etc.) or something completely different.

I'm finishing secret project X now, after which I'll probably do the weapons overhaul, after which I'll do more music.

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2013, 04:02:39 PM »

Is project X starsector related or is it unrelated (just curious) :)

StianStark

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • Music & Sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2013, 04:18:23 PM »

Is project X starsector related or is it unrelated (just curious) :)

It is related.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4