Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: The Religious Discussion Topic (Do not reply or post if you are easily offended)  (Read 34837 times)

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile

So, This is a topic where we can all discuss religion freely, With no slander amongst one another, no right/wrong. Just a discussion on what your beliefs are, why they are so and how you feel on the whole controversial subject

I shall start, I'm an Atheist. I'd love to believe there is an all powerful god out there that will grant me access into a heaven when i eventually /fail, But sadly I cannot, I just can't find that to be a logical answer.
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I'll just say that I'm atheist as well (no need to capitalise, it's not a proper noun :P). Though I'm not the type that parades about everywhere going "God isn't real". I only do that kind of stuff when overly pushy folks try to shove their beliefs in my face and attempt to convert me.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I hate smug atheists. /r/atheism is a cesspool of masturbatory backslapping amongst mentally juvenile narcissists.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile

As if anything else on reddit is better, isc. :P

Have to say, i am an undecided atheist. As in, i don't quite believe that there is, or ever was an all-powerful god, but i am more than happy to look through various other solutions to religion (when it started) other than dieties. Like, for example, aliens.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile

I'll just say that I'm atheist as well (no need to capitalise, it's not a proper noun :P). Though I'm not the type that parades about everywhere going "God isn't real". I only do that kind of stuff when overly pushy folks try to shove their beliefs in my face and attempt to convert me.
Same here
I hate smug atheists. /r/atheism is a cesspool of masturbatory backslapping amongst mentally juvenile narcissists.
I dont understand what you mean
- Albert Einstein

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile

Ah, Upgradecap is curious as to the nature Great Architect? Is he a God? Is it even a he? Is it an extraterrestrial lifeform? Or is it an idea.

Spoiler
[close]

If you are uncertain, you could call yourself an agnosticist. A weak agnosticist claims to not know whether there is a God or Greater Being. A strong agnosticist claims that it is impossible to know (by modern means). There are, of course, other labels and nuances. Religion always makes for a fun read.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile

In my opinion, Jesus is just an idea, In the sense that he was a way you teach people to be good, in the same way a parent would use nursery rhymes to teach kids right from wrong. I feel it is no more "real" than the nursery rhymes, but is real in the teachings it represents. For instance:

Love thy neighbour
Treat others as you would wish to be treated

etc,
- Albert Einstein

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I dont understand what you mean

I mean people who are not just content to be atheist, but must also inform everyone in the world that they are atheist. The kind of people who walk into forums and IRC channels brewing for a fight on what they know is a hotbutton issue. People who order their identities around their lack of faith, rather than the positive qualities of being simply rational

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile

You neglect to mention religious people with the same habits of broadcasting that all nonbelievers should convert or they'll go to hell ;)

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I don't care about them, I claim no kinship with their actions since I'm an atheistic agnostic as well. But people make me look bad when they go off acting like their *edited for content* because they have no belief in god.

Language, please - Alex
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 07:04:11 PM by Alex »

Verrius

• Captain
    • View Profile

I do believe there is, or was, at some point a higher power. Perhaps a being, or beings, that don't follow our notion of time and space. I can't think of any other way to explain why things could have simply just began. Something that doesn't make sense to us that can create something from nothing could have set our universe in motion from the very beginning.

We'll probably never know. I don't believe in heaven or hell. I don't think there is any glorious paradise waiting for me when I get splattered. The standard version of God just does not make any sense. At all.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile

Well, What i fail to understand is, Before the big bang, there was all this dust right, but what caused that? and then what caused that? etc

And in regards to God, What created god? Then what created god's creator? and so on and so forth

Boggles the mind eh?
- Albert Einstein

Verrius

• Captain
    • View Profile

Yup, hence why I think it's possible, even likely, that "god" didn't need to be created because "god" doesn't follow the same rules that we do.

But again, this is stuff we'll likely never know.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Didn't we have a thread that was very similar to this at one time? I feel like we've all been in this discussion before...

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile

Didn't we have a thread that was very similar to this at one time? I feel like we've all been in this discussion before...
That was about death and the afterlife
- Albert Einstein

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10