Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Author Topic: [0.9a] Tyrador Safeguard Coalition 1.6.1c (hotfixed January 13, 2019)  (Read 241321 times)

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9a] Tyrador Safeguard Coalition 1.6.1c (hotfixed January 13, 2019)
« Reply #180 on: May 06, 2019, 01:40:54 PM »

Rather then nerfing DLB I would buff CH, because right now its pretty bad.
That's intentional. Pre-nerf CH was nasty and a standard for civ ships, now its manageable to deal with. Understand that carrier/fighter spam is the last thing we want to incentivize, so these types of hullmods are fine being weak.
As for what to do, I think applying the vanilla debuff to the new fighter decks would be good.
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 06, 2019, 02:26:56 PM »

Rather then nerfing DLB I would buff CH, because right now its pretty bad.
That's intentional. Pre-nerf CH was nasty and a standard for civ ships, now its manageable to deal with. Understand that carrier/fighter spam is the last thing we want to incentivize, so these types of hullmods are fine being weak.
As for what to do, I think applying the vanilla debuff to the new fighter decks would be good.
You mean the DLB as the new fighter decks?  Last I checked, DLB is only available to the few Tyrador ships that happen to have modular cargo bays, which includes the Threshal, the Lance, and the Adze.

Even without considering DLB's extra penalty of +50% OP for fighters and +100% OP for bombers, DLB only makes those things into poor-man's carriers at best, while still having its niches where one may want to use it (like if you don't have any actual carriers).

This is based on my opinions on using those ships, especially the Lance, but I see no reason to double dip on the penalties.  My hull-mod tab has enough pointless options as it is.

Shad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 06, 2019, 03:16:50 PM »

You mean the DLB as the new fighter decks?  Last I checked, DLB is only available to the few Tyrador ships that happen to have modular cargo bays, which includes the Threshal, the Lance, and the Adze.
Dedicated Launch Bays are avaliable to everyone. Modular Launch Bays are Tyrador Modular Ship exclusive.

DLB give 1/2/3 bays with OP cost penalties for fighters. MLB give 1/2/4 with no cost penalties.

Vanilla CH gives 1 bay regarless of size, with penalties to both cost and stats of fighters.

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 06, 2019, 10:17:14 PM »

Dedicated Launch Bays are avaliable to everyone. Modular Launch Bays are Tyrador Modular Ship exclusive.

DLB give 1/2/3 bays with OP cost penalties for fighters. MLB give 1/2/4 with no cost penalties.

Vanilla CH gives 1 bay regarless of size, with penalties to both cost and stats of fighters.
That explains it.  I haven't played around much with the newest releases so I'm only familiar with the modular bay.

I'd have to check the OP costs of DLBs then, as well as try it out myself, bit with a +100% OP hike to the most capable strike craft inherent to DLBs I still doubt I find it overly capable.

rashiakas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 06, 2019, 10:43:09 PM »

I agree, CH was too strong. But I think it is overnerfed now. The additional OP Cost would have been enough. Slotting anything but cheap fighters will cost you so much OP you going to cripple yourself. As for Civ ships, just make it non available for them if its an issue, alltough I dont see any problem with that either tbh.

Shad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 07, 2019, 04:55:25 AM »

I think the philosophy of DLB is fine. The OP penalties pretty much preclude any decent wings.

It needs to be a little more expensive (from 10/15/25 to maybe 10/20/35) just to make sure because getting 3 wings is a big deal, even with chaff like Talons.

I would agree CH is a bit too nerfed now. Its cost probably needs to be fixed as it's only worth it for destroyers now. And only a handful of destroyers ever need a low waulity chaff wing for 13-15 OP, when there's so much better stuff you can get for that investment.

lechibang

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 29, 2019, 01:57:10 PM »

The Lance has 2 abnormal mounts at the front. Is this intended behavior since I don't see their turret/hardpoints anywhere on the ship sprite?.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 02:18:32 PM by lechibang »
Do it yourself, as people always say.

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 24, 2019, 08:50:48 AM »

I think the philosophy of DLB is fine. The OP penalties pretty much preclude any decent wings.

It needs to be a little more expensive (from 10/15/25 to maybe 10/20/35) just to make sure because getting 3 wings is a big deal, even with chaff like Talons.

I would agree CH is a bit too nerfed now. Its cost probably needs to be fixed as it's only worth it for destroyers now. And only a handful of destroyers ever need a low waulity chaff wing for 13-15 OP, when there's so much better stuff you can get for that investment.

Except that its really not? Unless youre talking about early game in a mostly vanilla scenario, where talons can actually make a difference.

lechibang

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 13, 2019, 11:22:06 PM »

So I've noticed that whilst the TSC adds new stuff for existing factions, the vanilla ships with IPC for me is quite bloaty and could be removed at some point.
Also the prices arent updated to .9.1a, just a small item there.....

froppyfropfrop

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 09, 2019, 05:03:08 AM »

Is it possible that Reydian Crabs do currently not work as intended? While multiple factions give missions for procurement of them, and they are properly counted a luxury goods for price purposes (I found some in a cache while mining once), they are never, ever, sold on Reydia.

I tested this with only having this mod enabled.

Sinigr

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 24, 2019, 01:34:27 AM »

Why you put one colony on Telepylus in Penelope's star system, that system should be unclaimed like it was, just fix it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 03:28:50 AM by Sinigr »
"officerMaxLevel":29,
"officerAIMax":36,
"maxOfficersInAIFleet":36
"tier1StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier2StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier3StationOfficerLevel":29,
Try to hunt it! ;)
https://i.imgur.com/gXIAgGy.png

123nick

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 26, 2019, 02:40:51 PM »

i think the atlatl is sorta op. for only 250,000 base cost, it has a decent armament for defense, and although on paper its survivability seems weak the fact taht it can spam out mantlet class drones which are basically tanks that can create a gigantic radious fortress shield around itself which blocks enemy fire but not your missiles, means that an atlatl can basically wear down any enemy ships with ease. i think its worth looking into, as right now it feels broken an cheap too use and i ended up having a homogenous fleet of only atlatls due too their multipurpose ability of wearing down enemies with their fighters and being tanky, along with as previously mentioned the dirt cheap 250,000 base cost- half of that of a paragon.

Machine

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 26, 2019, 09:02:46 PM »

It's been a while...

First things first, this is not an update post, nor is it a notification that the mod is dead. The mod is alive and well, and so am I.
To be honest I've barely had any time to work on the mod since late January, actually I should say I barely had any free time at all, until very recently, sort of...

Long story short...
Spoiler
At the start of this year, I entered a PhD program, which is also the reason why the update to 0.9 was late despite being mostly done for months, since Starsector's update coincided with the final evaluations for admission, and then our national scholarship applications (which I got).
However the actual reason for my lack of free time was not my complete dedication to the PhD program, if that was the case, I would be making a very different post...
Turns out, 2 days after I had to move to the capital for my studies, my father had to be hospitalized, which meant that most of my free time was dedicated to going back home.
Sadly, my father passed away a month ago, and just recently things have returned to something more "normal", although I still have a lot of lab work accumulated, but that can't be rushed too much, anyway, so I guess it is not much of an issue.
[close]

So, with some free time available, I'm back to modding, and thus the main reason of this post; to discuss planned changes and maybe get some feedback. Consider the following as some sort of ToDo/WantToDo list that's more honest than what I have on the first post of the thread.

Ships:
Spoiler
I'll be removing most, if not all Tri-Tach skins, they don't offer any significant gameplay changes and the main reason for their existence, faction branding, has been made moot in the latest updates, considering that blue high tech ships are no longer exclusive to them, nor do they exclusively use these high-tech ships. For this, and vram motives, Tri-Tach might get some standard TSC hulls, in TSC colors, instead of their own blue skins.
Similarly, some of the TSC skins for vanilla ships are getting the axe, specifically the Kite, Shepherd, Wayfarer and Venture. As you might guess, this means the TSC is getting more vanilla ships added to its roster, mainly mid-tech and high-tech, although they will be somewhat rare.

This also means that there will be some changes to some ship roles. With the TSC Shepherd gone, the Ayllo will assume its role, partially. The Ayllo will get a launchbay with a built in wing of drones, and its Kabura-ya drone launchers will be replaced with Corvo drone launchers, it will also lose its built-in exploration hullmods.

The Tessen will get the Kabura-ya drone launchers, in place of its built-in laser. Later in development (read this as, not a priority) the functionality of the Kabura-ya drones will be altered somewhat, mostly because I want them to attach to the target ship or at least keep themselves always on top of the enemy ship.

TSC Medusa and TSC Sunder are becoming rarer ships, almost unique, but with several opportunities to acquire them as derelicts, events, and perhaps even buildable blueprints as a special quest reward.

TSC Onslaught, was originally conceived as mission/storyline content, and as an IBB ship. This is still the plan, it was made available for "market conversion" as a showcase, because I had been asked about it, and because it had been sitting for too long on its folder. I think its original description is still on the description file, if you want to read it.
Regarding the IBB, it would be commanded by an holographic version of the portrait I'm using as my avatar, specifically this man is meant to be an old hero figure for the TSC, and the subject of most missions (to be made). This personality clone would go mad for no apparent reason and start a crusade against "the giant", this was meant as a Don Quijote reference.

The TSC Wolf is staying, it's getting some stat changes though. Just as the Buffalo, the Wolf blueprint seems widely available to the sector, considering that the Koncerz was also made to work well in conjunction with Wolf packs, the Wolf is staying in the TSC arsenal.
The TSC Buffalo stays for the same reason, honestly, every faction should have its own branded buffalo. Same applies to the Sunder, but for every mod, since it seems like it is the game's poster child considering the amount of Sunder variants available...

Finally, new content... many ships are getting a major resprite, so far (as in already done), this list includes: Koncerz, Koncerz (XIV), Koncerz (P), Wolf (TSC), Sunder (TSC), Woomera, Amentum, Kestros and Pavise, all ships do keep their current profiles, at most, weapon position was slightly adjusted.
Ships getting a minor resprite (mainly to accommodate a required change): Ayllo (launch bay), Tessen (built-in drone launcher), Halberd (built-in weapon mount).

I had 2 new new ships planned. The Scepter cruiser, which was meant as a support cruiser with a normal bubble shield, I didn't like the results, so the concept of the ship was scrapped quickly. The other ship, the Kinzhal phase frigate, is mostly done, it is a phase capable support "super frigate", its unique shipsystem lets it teleport bubble shield emitters to the cursor's position, this works similarly to the Doom's mine teleporter, its only current issue is that I have not coded a proper AI for the shipsystem.

Currently, it is using the mine teleporter AI, which works fine... to a degree. The AI uses the shield bubble emitters offensively, which means it usually spawns them very close to the enemy ships, drawing their fire, and also consuming missile volleys, which works better than I expected, however it also tends to teleport them behind the enemy, uselessly.
The shield bubble emitter, internally the "Targe", is a small "station", it starts deploying an expanding bubble shield as soon as it finishes teleporting, this process takes a couple of seconds. Like all TSC spawnable "ships", it has timed life. It is also unable to vent/dissipate flux, and self destructs when overloaded. Meant as disposable cover, it is not very resilient, currently it is set to overload after a single harpoon, which seems a bit underpowered considered how often you can spawn them, and also makes them extremely weak to ballistic weapons, so it needs further balancing.

New/updated sprites preview, showing the "Greek Olives" ship flavour colour, which will become the standard, the old "Cool Mint" will be available as an optional download, just like the other recolours. I admit the tone might need to be shifted a bit on some of the sprites.
[close]

Shipsystems:
Spoiler
Besides the shipsystem mentioned before (remote shielding), I plan to change the Threshal (S) system to something more unique, meanwhile the Doom's mine teleporter fits thematically, considering that is one of the uses of the ship lorewise, I think it is a bit too powerful offensively.
Not sure what will replace it at the moment, but it will be something that's deployable, and most likely cover a support role; toyed with the idea of a "Fleet Server" platform, however that is only useful if the fleet has offensive fighters, and considering that you could get fleets with a Threshal (S) that do not have proper fighters, I'm not too fond of the idea.

BTW this is the reason why the ships with a "Drone Swarm" shipsystem have built-in drone spawners, since otherwise the shipsystem might be useless in some configurations.

I also plan to restore the unique Halberd (Vanguard skin) shipsystem to its original "Shield Burst" shipsystem, since the module required for it should no longer cause issues, although it will need testing.

Remote Shielding in action.
[close]

Hullmods:
Spoiler
Dedicated Launch Bays' current incarnation will be removed, its only reason to exist was to accomplish parity with the other Modular Hold hullmods, without me needing to modify converted hangar (which was not done for potential compatibility reasons), so it could be mounted on all ships that had a Modular Hold, despite some of them being carriers. Probably the best course of action is to simply make it so that the Modular version of the hullmod has no "base hullmod". I also plan to remove the docking requirement for the Modular Hold hullmods, although I'm not too sure about this.

Other hullmod that I want to improve is the Sand-Caster, currently planning to make it affect the signature of the whole fleet/ship with biggest signature to a small degree, rather than just altering the signature of the ship it is mounted on, which is useless, if the ship is not among the largest in the fleet.
[close]

Weapons:
Spoiler
Mainly just reducing the sprite's size of the large Disruptor Beam Cannon and, to a lesser degree, the Warden PD System. Additionally the built-in experimental Plasma Burst Lance, found in the Halberd (Vanguard), will be altered a bit so it can fit in the TSC Sunder.
Balance wise, I'll increase a bit the hard flux damage done by disruptor weapons on shields, and also the hard flux feedback, specially for the medium sized version.
[close]

Star Systems/Events:
Spoiler
The "Anomaly" star system will be made part of a quest, you'll still be able to search for it manually, like you can currently do, and skip the quest this way, you should also get a special item that you can return to Arcon, in exchange of a reward.
Additionally, if the Remnant stations have not been eliminated from the "Anomaly" and the planet currently has an owner, planetary bombardment fleets will spawn constantly until the planet is decivilized.

A new star system will be added "south" of Tyrador, it will feature an independent gas giant floating city colony, a small TSC outpost (and transfer the CSV Urals' Scaffold here), and some Remnants. This system is also planned to be part of the questline. Ideally I would also like to make this gas giant colony change ownership to the TSC sometime after the Remnants are cleared from the system.

Further in development, I would like to have the CSV Urals' Scaffold transform into a roaming fleet after a couple of ingame cycles. This would require the other Forgeships to become roaming fleets first, which has been the intention all along.

The current implementation plan goes as follows:
-Make the forgeships and include them in the game - DONE
-Make them appear in the campaign layer - DONE (as stations currently)
-Transform them into roaming fleets, with simple goals, the CSV Himalayas would be set to go from Arcon to systems with hostile planets and camp them for a while before returning to Arcon, similarly the CSV Andes would go to systems with friendly planets, and then return.
Interaction wise, the player would be able to buy fuel/supplies (if friendly) through dialog every couple of days or so, or attack them. At this step the ships will be gone for good if destroyed.
-Make the forgeships respawn after a while in Arcon if they were destroyed; if the fleet survived, but their forgeship was destroyed, make it return to Arcon and despawn.
-Make it so that when a forgeship is destroyed, a special entity is spawned, sometime after its destruction, the TSC faction would then send a massive salvage fleet to camp over the derelict and make it functional again, at this point the restored forgeship would be added to the salvage fleet and it would head back to Arcon to despawn and respawn later with a proper fleet.
This would also be the chance for the player to acquire a forgeship for themselves, by spending a decent amount of time, and resources getting the derelict online again. If the player looted a forgeship for themselves, it would gradually lower their relationship with the TSC, and when the player becomes hostile the TSC would pursue them. Ideally the player would also get a large relations boost and payment if the ship is returned to Arcon.
-Add an unclaimed derelict that can be turned into a forgeship by the player using the same procedure, probably requiring some sort of reward from the TSC.
[close]

Stations:
Spoiler
The orbital platforms near Atrio will be made a unique industry, this way they should be repaired if they are destroyed by something. Sprite-wise they would use the same parts that the TSC station will use, arranged differently though, in a triangular pattern instead of the hexagonal pattern the main stations would use.

As mentioned before, the TSC stations will be hexagonal. In the attached scheme, black is the vast bulk core of the station, in this case rather than an habitational space covered with windows, this core will be an actual reactor core, ideally with an animated visible core... which would be covered as long as the core cover section remains intact. The core cover section (red) will have a built in HUGE turret at its center. The blue sections will be hangars and drone spawners, and the green sections gun platforms. Shipsystem wise, the hangar sections will get Drone Swarm, and the core will get the Mega Shield Burst shipsystem, the station won't teleport mines, and it won't get PD drones either.

Following this scheme, Atrio's defensive platforms, would lack both the core section, and the hangars, having the core cover as their actual core section, and the gun platforms placed in the hangar locations, giving it an appearance closer to a triangle with cut corners.
[close]

Skills:
Spoiler
I evaluated the idea of adding some skills related to drones, however it seems that the next Starsector update might have significant changes to how skills works, and also the ability to have drone ships in the player fleet, so I'll rather wait for it to see what I can do about it.

Anyway, the proposed skill was to be part of the technology tree and deal with automation, first level would grant an automated systems hullmod (increase maximun cr and/or decrease skeleton crew requirements) and also reduce global skeleton crew requirements fleet wide. The second level would grant slower CR loss to drones. Level 3 had not been planned at the momment.
[close]

Update when?:
Well... not sure, I do want to ensure compatibility and full functionality with Nex at the very least, besides adapting the mod to vanilla changes, and implementing most of the changes described in the Ships and Hullmods sections. This wouldn't take me too long; if I had full control of my free time, which I don't, so I won't make any estimations.

Feel free to comment, and make suggestions.

@123nick:
The mod is not updated to the latest version, which rebalanced ship prices making them more expensive. The current dev version has the Atlatl cost raised to 400000 credits, the same value as an Astral.

@Sinigr:
As stated above that was already on the plans.

@queendaenyori:
Thanks for the fix actually, haven't implemented it yet though.

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 26, 2019, 10:17:21 PM »

It's wonderful to see you come back and improve TSC. I've loved your mod for a long while, and it'll be exciting to see the unique features finally get implemented in a way that lets them shine.
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!

lechibang

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 27, 2019, 08:57:58 AM »

Hi, first of all thanks for the update post after quite a while.
So after skimming through the lengthy paragraph on ships, does that mean the ability to convert ships (vanilla and TT skins, which according to your post is pending removal) be absent for good or reworked in some way? If you're intend to keep it, I would suggest removing the vanilla ships with the IPC_ tag. IMHO it is getting quite bloaty at this point (which has been lingering inside of my head for quite a while now) and I kinda want to see the IPC be present on Tyradorian ships only.
Regarding stations, are buildable TSC stations going to be a considered possibility such as those present in Shadowyards, XLU and Artefact?
Anyhow that's the first wave of my questions and I'll probably write up more tomorrow. My head is quite empty atm, heh.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16