Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Multiple drones per ship  (Read 2139 times)

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
Multiple drones per ship
« on: January 22, 2013, 01:48:18 AM »

Hi. Resurrecting an old dead suggestion for multiple drones per ship.

I have a nice and fat carrier ship full of drones. I want it to carry three types of drones - one for long range free roam carrying support weapons, second with assault weapons for hunting down current carrier`s target and third for defence with no roam at all.

I recall Alex saying that multiple drones wont work good because of the randomness of the drone wing a newly spawned drone will be assigned to. So here is simple suggestion - why not make a priority check per each wing? Before the launch the game checks the priority of wings. If a wing with high priority is full - it will move to check the lower priority wings and etc. This priority can actually use the order of the wings in drone system file.

Another possible problem with this is free roam for various drone types. But this can already be specified and adjusted in drone system files by setting drone target priority, roam range and other stuff.

These three values should be allowed to be set per wing:

"statsScript":"",
   "droneVariant":"",
   "allowFreeRoam":true/false,

mostmodest

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple drones per ship
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 09:03:38 PM »

Sounds good. I can't see any problems with the coding (That may be because I have no idea how to code :P)
The only issue that I can see is the carriers becoming unbalanced. The drones that you suggested (while being very helpful) could serve to make the carriers rather powerful for their class. However, to balance this, the drones could be made slightly weaker in attack and hull capacity.
I could be wrong, though.
Yes, you are reading to far into this.

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 10:07:49 PM »

I mean dedicated drone carriers. Those that have no or very limited offensive/defensive firepower on their own and after loosing the drones become easy preys.

And its easy to balance drone carrier. There lots of different values that can be adjusted - numbers of drones, their regeneration rate, their hull/weaponry, stats of the carrier ship etc. etc. Giving the new options i listed - you should be able set the priority for each wing staring with less dangerous ones (like those set for defence only).

An option to turn on/off drone regeneration during combat would be also a nice feature. Especially if drone regeneration will consume supplies.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 10:10:33 PM by Okim »

Jazwana

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 03:46:05 PM »

Take a look at the ironclads mod, the Russian faction has (had?) a drone carrier.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 04:27:53 PM »

Okim is the founder of Ironclads, i think he knows that already. ;D

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 07:49:55 PM »

Lol:)

Jazwana

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 12:43:16 PM »

Whoops.. I was a little tired when I read this thread, lol.