Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: somewhat annoying sticky camera in battle..  (Read 3211 times)

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
somewhat annoying sticky camera in battle..
« on: January 22, 2013, 03:16:09 AM »

I'm not sure what to call it, but sometimes (especially when near borders) the camera seems to become sticky and not follow the cursor as it usually does.. ending up in it more or less snapping back to position when you move the mouse more..

I did a quick search but didn't find it mentioned (I could just be in the wrong forum)

I have a feeling it was made that way for when firing prolonged periods that the camera kinda becomes more sluggish as to allow easier aiming..

But it seems to be happening even when I'm not firing, but simply looking at an enemy ship the camera becomes more sluggish, when I do move my mouse enough away the camera then more or less jumps back to where it should be if it wasn't sluggish..

It feels like the camera is decreasing in movement sensitivity when near enemy ships..

Am I the only one that would like this sensitivity to be uniform no matter what or where your are aiming?
when the camera rapidly changes sensitivity it disorients me slightly.

Example:
Spoiler
I was in a wolf and a hound was engaging me alone. no other ships around.

Hound engaged from the north and then started circling me, and because I was aiming, and firing at him, the camera changed sensitivity (it moved less with the same distance of mouse movement) he was then on my west (left side if facing north) and because the camera was so sluggish he was almost outside of my view.
Thus I move the mouse to keep the view on him, resulting the camera rapidly 'snapping' to the cursors position.
As I was not prepared for this I kept moving the mouse to compensate for the earlier decrease in sensitivity, when the camera then compensated itself (by 'snapping') I had already moved the mouse far too much, resulting in the hound more or less being outside my view at the top of the screen now..
[close]

I hope my explanation is understandable. grammar isn't prefect I know, but hopefully good enough.

Would it be possible to have the camera not change sensitivity at all? as in, it stays as it is when not aiming at a ship or firing. that way, the player has a much more uniform control to get used to and does not need to compensate (even if it is subconsciously done)

Or am I the only one that experiences this?
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: somewhat annoying sticky camera in battle..
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 09:29:42 AM »

Hmm... the part about stickiness near the borders is more or less a bug.

As for why there's a little bit of a stickiness, it's to keep the camera from moving every time there's a tiny mouse movement - so, once it stops moving, it takes moving it at a certain (fairly low) speed threshold to get it moving again. Tried it without that, at first, and the camera just felt very shaky.

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 09:54:07 AM »

Hmm... the part about stickiness near the borders is more or less a bug.

As for why there's a little bit of a stickiness, it's to keep the camera from moving every time there's a tiny mouse movement - so, once it stops moving, it takes moving it at a certain (fairly low) speed threshold to get it moving again. Tried it without that, at first, and the camera just felt very shaky.

Maybe it is just me that finds this disorienting, but every frigate fight i have, specially with beam weapons ends up having rather jerky camera movement because it slows down every time I hold down the mouse around the enemy.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 11:09:29 AM »

Just tried it out, watching specifically for that - actually looks extremely smooth to me. It shouldn't be related to holding down the mouse button, btw - maybe the act of doing that affects how you're moving the mouse? I'm not sure why we're experiencing this so differently.

What frame rate are you getting?

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 02:35:31 PM »

So, more than slightly off topic but, say Alex... what are you going to burn your 4000th post on? ;D

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 09:21:00 AM »

Oh, I don't know, probably on asking someone not to make off topic posts, or some such :)

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 08:19:10 PM »

I had a good deal of trouble with the camera sticking too. I see it slowing so i completely stop firing, shake my mouse like a maniac, and aim again.

Is the minimum mouse velocity dependent on the resolution? I run on 1024X768. I also didn't realize i could zoom out at first (broken MMW) so i was at the default zoom.
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.