Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Higher Capacity shouldn't increase venting  (Read 5131 times)

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
Higher Capacity shouldn't increase venting
« on: January 15, 2013, 02:58:15 PM »

This may have been changed since I last played

One thing I noticed about adding capacitors is that it adds to how long it takes to vent a ship's flux.  This means that adding capacitors actually weakens a ship if it's prone to venting/overloading a lot because it makes the ship take that much longer to return to combat.  I'd like to see that adding capacitors doesn't increase the time to vent for a ship.  That will make capacitors a bit more valuable.

As a side suggestion, I'd like to see that each Capacitor adds 250 capacity rather than 200.  This will also make them a bit more valuable when combined with the above effect.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Higher Capacity shouldn't increase venting
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 03:04:02 PM »

Yes they take longer to vent, but thats because they have more total flux... its true that you are out of action longer, but you could always choose to vent flux sooner. The choice between vents and caps isn't a no brainer, but I can't think of any situation where more capacitors makes a ship weaker.

Whether caps should be 250 or 200 I'm kind of neutral on - I think the change from 100 to 200 was absolutely needed and helped to balance things out a bunch.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 03:12:08 PM »

One thing I noticed about adding capacitors is that it adds to how long it takes to vent a ship's flux.  This means that adding capacitors actually weakens a ship if it's prone to venting/overloading a lot because it makes the ship take that much longer to return to combat.  I'd like to see that adding capacitors doesn't increase the time to vent for a ship.  That will make capacitors a bit more valuable.

Disagree.

Indirectly, yes, adding capacitors does add to the amount of time you need to vent, but not because anything on your ship has become less efficient. You now simply have a higher capacity, and it takes a little longer to vent that extra capacity. Having capacitors also add a small amount of venting (or having vents be based on a % of your flux capacity) is a little too much like having your cake and eating it too.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 03:48:07 PM »

The problem is that why would you invest to capacitors if they have a draw-back associated with them that vents simply lack?  Vents are already far far too dominating why does it need to be more so.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 03:52:54 PM »

Ships that rely only on vents are pretty weak imo. It just takes a good burst of firepower to overload them. I always balance vents and caps on my ships, except is they have a special role.

Fast strike ships for example are often better suited with capacitors.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Pendragon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 04:03:29 PM »

The problem is that why would you invest to capacitors if they have a draw-back associated with them that vents simply lack?  Vents are already far far too dominating why does it need to be more so.

Capacitors definitely do have their place. They are particularly important for hit and run ships where you want the ability to blaze away and deal maximum damage but know you have the ability to retreat and vent safely. On a Hyperion for example I always add as many capacitors as I can because I can run in, blaze away and then retreat to vent. I don't care about how quickly I vent, I care about how long I can blaze away for before I need to retreat and capacitors give me that.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 07:30:44 AM »

Capacitors are much more attractive than vents for ships with efficient shields.

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 02:12:18 PM »

Ships that rely only on vents are pretty weak imo. It just takes a good burst of firepower to overload them. I always balance vents and caps on my ships, except is they have a special role.

Fast strike ships for example are often better suited with capacitors.

Heh, the first thing I tend to do with my ships is max out vents. It minimizes the risk of venting since you spend less time venting and usually have to vent less often since you can usually be flux stable (or nearly stable) while firing weapons with shields up. Capacitors are pretty good for being able to withstand a lot of firepower in a short time while firing, but you run a serious risk if you ever have to vent while under pressure. For me, prioritizing vents is less risky.

Bare in mind, I only ever use high-tech ships with their generous flux reserves and efficient shields. Things might be different for mid- or low-tech.

Pendragon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 02:29:31 PM »

Bare in mind, I only ever use high-tech ships with their generous flux reserves and efficient shields. Things might be different for mid- or low-tech.

It very much is dependent not only on the ship but also on the role you want it to play. As you say, later epoch ships with their superior flux reserves and shields tend to have less of an issue as with enough vents they can keep trucking along pretty well without having to vent provided their load-out is balanced that way. It also depends on your play style. If you like hit and run you need capacitors, if you like to duke it out you need vents.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 01:55:53 PM »

-Spam-

"Legit web design" Seems legit

Reported
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 02:38:08 PM by Faiter119 »

Sonlirain

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 08:23:53 AM »

Anyone ever watched a venting Condor?
It takes AGES because while it has a good ammount of flux capacity its venting is on frigate level.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 11:56:25 AM »

I know, this problem is more noticeable on ships with low vents to begin with.

mostmodest

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 06:55:00 PM »

I think that capacitors adding a ~1-2% vent speed is a pretty good idea. (For me, at least :P)
My tactics usually involve getting in, taking small hits, getting out and venting in a flash. When I decide to add capacitors, it takes more time to vent (less vents + higher capacity), which makes my attack runs take longer to complete. If the capacitors added a slight vent bonus (it doesn't even have to be 1%) I might consider using them more often. However, if I get a capital ship, knowing me, I'll max out the capacitors for a high capacity and high vent bonus.
A way to stop this problem is to cap the vent bonus from capacitors at a certain percentage. Something like 1%/2%/4%/8% or similar. This would increase the capacity and venting speed for each capacitor, while also keeping the capacitors balanced.
Just a thought.
Yes, you are reading to far into this.

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 10:22:32 PM »

Adding venting speed to capacitors will make them superior to vents. Venting is high risk/award choice - it must not be trivial. If you have max capacitors you must pay for it by increased venting time.

Hypilein

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 05:19:12 AM »

I always thought of this as a feature, not a problem. It makes the decision have much more impact. Just keep it the way it is.